SuttaCentral Search Bugs đŸȘ°

Great! Thanks. This keeps popping up as a problem.

I have created an issue:

2 Likes

To follow-up on this thread: Now search for translators of specific languages, I noticed that I don’t show up on the list. Not that it is so important because I don’t have that many published, but that makes me wonder if other authors may be missing too. Also, when I filter on my translations, some are missing from the list. So this may also be the case for other authors?

3 Likes

Ooh, great catch! Sorry about that. There is no threshold for number of translations. Even one should be enough to list you.

@HongDa, any idea what is happening? You can get a list of all of his translations with https://suttacentral.net/search?query=author:noeismet

When doing a list authors with French document language selected you get other French translators but not Noe.

3 Likes

No worries at all. It just made me wonder if this was listing everybody and everything.

2 Likes

Hello @HongDa, I wonder if you had a chance to look at this. Additionally, when I search with author:noeismet, some published translations are missing.

1 Like

Can you give exact examples of this issue? Otherwise it is hard to troubleshoot. Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, of course. So, for example, MN19, MN20, and MN21 don’t show in the list.

Yes, I just looked at the ArangoDB collection text_contents and I don’t see your translation of MN19:

I believe that is the basis for the search function.

It should be in the results of https://suttacentral.net/search?query=author:noeismet%20bienveillante or even just https://suttacentral.net/search?query=author:noeismet

@HongDa?

3 Likes

Ven. @Vimala :pray:
I have fixed this issue, please give it a try when you have time.

2 Likes

@noeismet Thank you, I have found the cause and will fix it soon.

3 Likes

Wonderful @HongDa! It works perfect now. :pray:

4 Likes

Hi @noeismet , I have fixed this bug.

https://suttacentral.net/search?query=list%20authors

PS: you need to select French in the search language range for your name to appear.

2 Likes

Thank you @HongDa, much a appreciated.

2 Likes

@HongDa it looks like the author issue is solved. Thanks! And thanks to @noeismet for reporting it.

I noticed a related problem in the sorting of the results for author: results and have created an issue:

2 Likes

I just searched for relatives generations
and in the search preview it offered me 2 results which are both MN93
When I hit return, 0 results found even if I toggle ‘match partial’ - it doesn’t even list MN93 which it was showing in the preview.

Furthermore, I don’t understand what the ‘match partial’ toggle does. Surely it should return all suttas with the word relatives in them, of which there are plenty when I performed my initial search.

If I search relatives AND generations (this is 2024 surely I shouldn’t have to) I only get two previews, again both MN93. When I hit return, MN93 doesn’t list in the results, but I do get 15 results including the vinaya results I was looking for.

Furthermore, I thought we had a vinaya search filter, but it’s not listed in the filters list.

Well from this:

I guess we were hoping that you could infer that vinaya was also a collection. Basically anything you can find in a url, you can use as a filter. The above were meant to be examples, not a complete list. Suggestions?

Collections are nested, so for example you can do a search for in:pli-tv-bi-vb bowl

Yes, I just mentioned this to @HongDa today. There is an old issue for that

Hmm. So you were expecting the match partial to basically be relatives OR generations? Match partial is intended to let you search for relative and also return “relatives”. It’s more critical for searching Pali words.

Does all that at least explain how things work now? Not saying that they work well, just that they work according to current spec.

1 Like

Yes. What does match partial do otherwise?

Here is an example of the preview not matching the results page

1 Like

Like I said, it matches partial words not parts of a whole search string.

As far as the preview not matching the SERP (search engine result page), that’s because it’s not really a preview. It’s meant to be a very flexible guess at what you might be looking for and offer it up to you instantly, so that you could skip the SERP page entirely.

The SERP is going to give you exactly what you ask for, not what it thinks you may want.

(at least that is my understanding of the whole thing)

It’s all still being tinkered with, so any and all feedback you have is most welcome.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining.
What was showing in the preview didn’t list in the SERP though

1 Like

Right. The instant search (because remember it’s not accurate to call it a preview) is matching for “relations”, not “relatives”. I believe that the instant search is doing some kind of semantic matching. It’s strange, I know. I’m not 100% convinced this is a good way to be doing things.

2 Likes