SuttaCentral Voice: bug reports

Read it aloud onceā€”next to a recording device! Then you can even share it with others!

I mean, itā€™s just this one text, isnā€™t it?

Added:

I just did that with Ven. Nyanatilokaā€™s and Ven. Nyanaponikaā€™s German translation! :open_mouth: It should be out on EBT-Vue3 in about a week, if your patience is still going that long. :laughing:

You will just have to set translation language in EBT-Vue3 to German, then uncheck ā€œshow translationā€ā€”and there you go! Listen to Mil 3.1.1 Pali only!

But to be clear: I am not planning to do this with the entire Milindapanha. Well unless perhaps your kind wish will come true and Iā€™ll live until 120, and am still in good enough health to do it. Then it might perhaps happen. :woman_shrugging:

Try a range. Sadly, we donā€™t yet allow the inference of Mil3 as ā€œall of Mil3ā€.

Mil3.1.1-99

Wow. :open_mouth: you may be the first to ask. Download doesnā€™t yet work in EBT-Vue3. In Voice we allow downloading multiple suttas as one but not parts of a sutta. Weā€™ll probably not get to download until later this year. Our top priorities right now are:

• replace Voice before it dies due to old age and unsupported dependencies
  • allow Dhammaregen to use EBT-Vue3 so that Ayya Sabbamitta can proceed with her newsletters.

I no longer download audio files myself since I prefer to simply listen to EBT-Vue3. However, Voice downloads do seem to be quite popular, so we need to enable downloads on EBT-Vue3.

Oh dear. It seems the software is loading legacy translations by Rhys Davids, which have no correspondence with segmented Pali. Ugh.

@Gillian, this use case is bigger than I thought. I fear that it is still not possible to listen to the Pali directly because we have a conflict with supporting legacy text. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

Which is exactly why I just made a non-legacy segmented translation of exactly one text, namely Mil 3.1.1. :rofl:

Will be online in about a week from now.

2 Likes

Oh. :thinking:. That will work. @Gillian could choose German to hear theā€¦Pali.
This is serendipitous and hilarious. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Learned a new word! :rofl: :+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to be a very happy language learner, listening to Pali and following the text in German.

Multitasking :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Donā€™t let any of my questions deflect you from this important task. :pray:

2 Likes

There is good news on this front. :slight_smile: John Kelly teaches our small class and he shares his translation with us after each session. This means that in a weeks time I will have to hand a good translation of Belinda Pada 3.1.1 (with notes on the compounds, even) That I could start uploading once my new computer arrives. I would love to learn the Bill Laura interface if your patience will run to that Ayya. :pray:

2 Likes

:rofl:

Bill Laura is hilarious!

Ask your Pali teacher what this could meanā€”itā€™s indeed Pali, but spelled a tiny little differently!

(Oh well, youā€™re typing on a phone, arenā€™t you? I bet the autocorrection doesnā€™t know how to spell Pali ā€¦ :open_mouth:)

Sure, my patience will run to that. But Iā€™ll start a separate thread to get you set up in Bilara. I canā€™t do that all alone.

But in case weā€™ll have John Kellyā€™s English translation, Iā€™ll definitely revise the old German legacy translation of Mil 3.1.1 and adapt it to my general style so itā€™ll be consistent with the rest of the canon. :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

I was dictating into the phone. I thought

was pretty good too. :laughing:
I could have corrected them, but hoped you might enjoy. :crazy_face:

Grateful for the link to :cat: :cat2: :black_cat:. :pray:

2 Likes

Wow! That is the best news!

This will be an excellent test case for the Voice applications. It will exercise our ability to support two segmented translations in the same language. Thanks for the heads up.

And it was also hilarious to read ā€œBill Lauraā€ :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Not two segmented translations in the same language. One in English and one in German. Everything else, like Rhys Davids etc., is legacy.

One more reason why you actually should read Pali aloud and train your pronunciation. But I love all the efforts we are taking for you to avoid this! :laughing:

2 Likes

I was just looking for something to listen to while my eyes are recovering from surgery. And I need a lot more listening practice before my pronunciation will be anything like reasonable!! So Iā€™m very happy to have EBT-Vue3 to be getting on with in the meantime.

The phone thinks Iā€™m practising Polly, or Bali, or Paula, or parlay!!

2 Likes

Uncle Karl; this is wonderful. So many thanks. Iā€™m thrilled. :pray: It works beautifully on my brand new Macbook and I am a happy little chook. :chicken:

But fyi, it appears to load on iPhone and iPad and I can hear the clicks, but when I press play thereā€™s no voice on either. Three screenshots follow:

1 Like

I canā€™t say anything on iPads or iPhones, but what I see from the screenshots, thereā€™s no dotted line around the highlighted segments. I am not sure, but perhaps you try to highlight them even more by clicking into them so that a dotted line appears before pressing ā€œplayā€?

But perhaps @karl_lew can tell more.

Itā€™s so nice: Iā€™d never expected that people would use German translations to learn Pali! :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just opened Mil3.1.1 on my iPad with Ayyaā€™s translation. When I click either of the play buttons in the audiobar, I hear Pali then German spoken.

If you hear clicking, that is good because that means audio is working.
If you donā€™t hear Pali, go to Settings | Audio and make sure that ā€œSpeak Paliā€ is checked. If neither ā€œSpeak Paliā€ nor ā€œSpeak translationā€ is selected, then only clicks will be heard.
(Perhaps we should always mandate that at least one of the checkmarks should be selected).

:thinking:

1 Like

Good idea. Going to add this to our list ā€¦ :walking_woman:

2 Likes

I tried again and with regard to the iPad it was my bad: Iā€™ve become so used to things syncing automatically across all my devices that I didnā€™t think to change the settings a second time. It now plays. :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

I am happy as Larry and full of mundane attachments.

With regard to the iPhone, after adjusting the settings there are still problems. Please donā€™t worry about them on my account. I donā€™t need to get it working on my phone. But for your information here are some screenshots

Re the above, when I press the second button from the left to play audio, that blue vertical appears. It is actually the whatsits at each end of a selection bar because the phone is trying select text! Thereā€™s a quick popup that I canā€™t capture which asks me if I want to copy or have Google translate it. I guess it knows I donā€™t read German! The German text is showing even tho I chose Pali!

Like I said, this is not a concern for me. If/when you decide to work with it Iā€™d be happy to test improvements for you.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting, Gillian. Indeed we wonā€™t probably go for that at the moment, but Iā€™ll simply add it to the list and Karl may look into it when all the more pressing issues have been resolved.

Thanks so much for all your patience! :pray:

3 Likes

@Gillian, we finally have full Pali support for untranslated suttas. For example, here is cnd1. Your course is probably long over, but this link may be of value for the future.

4 Likes

You underestimate my teacher @johnk - it wonā€™t finish til the end of this year. After 3 years he intends starting with another group of beginners, besides taking over Bhante ā€˜s class at the end of the Rains.

Thanks for this good news.

3 Likes