SuttaCentral Voice is taking a huge leap forward! We just released v1.3.
This release has a very long list of new features and bug fixes.
One focus of this development cycle has been the long-term maintenance of Voice; so far Voice operations depended on a single person which is of course not desirable. We—and “we” means @Aminah and @karl_lew who did an incredible work while I was just watching with open mouth —now managed to transition Voice operations to an EC2 server in a different AWS account, and following the documentation, other developers should also be able to do this. Which takes a huge load off the shoulders of Voice’s originator! Karl
The EC2 disc space has been increased from 8 GB to 16 GB. This means we won’t have to worry about cache space for the near future; in the long run, when Voice will host human read segmented texts as well as translations into more languages, root texts in other languages than Pali, etc. on top of what we have today, we will still need other solutions for disk space.
We have also set up this thread. We’d encourage you all to share your use of SuttaCentral Voice here. This will help inform future steps of development and at the same time can be used to help other (new) users in finding out what they can do with SC-Voice.
Another focus of this release has been the Pali pronunciation: Over 40 mispronunciations have been fixed for Aditi, the Pali voice. And I find it truly amazing how Karl came up with always new ideas to improve Aditi’s pronunciation; it has become very nice and clear by now!
Also, some search bugs could be fixed. It will for example be possible now to get the appropriate result, whether one types MN3 (without space), or MN 3 (with space); and some more.
Of other bugs that could be fixed the most important one is probably the occurrence of HTML code in text panel which has been pointed out by SarathW1 with utmost patience and thoroughness. Thank you, @SarathW1!
For the entire list of release items see here.
We are looking forward to your feedback!