SuttaCentral Voice v1.0.0 Released šŸ˜

Windows 10 Google Chrome

3 Likes

Thanks.
Zoom worked fine.

2 Likes

Thanks for testing. I dug into this and apparently the default for cookie is ā€œsession lifetimeā€. Sessions rarely survive reboot. My sessions survive because I had ā€œrestore pages on launchā€. I have changed the code to save settings for 100 years. That might sufficeā€¦

Thank you!

Hmm. Iā€™m getting HTTP307 on http followed by HTTP522 on https. The sub-domain isnā€™t working. Much sadness. :thinking:
I am not exactly sure what to do here. It does take DNS up to 72 hours to propagate, so maybe we just wait. We shouldnā€™t change any of the links just yet until we get voice.suttacentral.net working.

DNS is a bit strange this way.

Yes. That is a new bug that will be fixed in the next release. :white_check_mark: :flushed:

2 Likes

Thanks for getting to the root of that one, I guess itā€™s a small thing, but I believe has the potential to be a real friction point.

I dunno, have you heard how long sufferingā€™s meant to last? :scream_cat:

4 Likes

I can certainly increase it to 101 years or more, butā€¦ :thinking:

There was no ā€œkalpaā€ option, so we are stuck with years.
Being mischievous, I decided that in 100 years someone here living again might remember this past life and recall that Karl was very much the practical joker.
:grin: :innocent:

5 Likes

:laughing: Maybe if we leave a note for a kindly deva to forward to the appropriate person.

5 Likes

Now I do :
ctrll -shift- T

2 Likes

We use Cloudflare for DNS and propagation is for all intents and purposes instantaneous in my experience.

Direct links on HTTP work: http://voice.suttacentral.net/scv/index.html#/?search=dn1&lang=en

I am uncertain as to why HTTPS does not work, clearly the server doesnā€™t respond to HTTPS requests, but Cloudflare flexible SSL should smooth that over (albeit with the connection being HTTP between cloudflare and the voice server).

It might be that it is trying to talk in HTTPS but some certificate problem is causing one end or the other to abort the connection attempt.

3 Likes

Thanks for double checking. The problem persists on my end, so I think it unrelated to DNS propagation.

SCV HTTPS doesnā€™t work because itā€™s not implemented.

Without a domain, I had no need for HTTPS. I think it is now time to correct that. Although I can implement with a dummy SSL certificate, the proper way I think is for you to issue me an SSL certificate for voice.suttacentral.net using your own signature authority as the domain owner. I donā€™t think I should have the suttacentral.net private SSL key myself.

Would it make sense to issue me an SSL certificate for voice.suttacentral.net?

2 Likes

Ahh, yes, this sounds right. i should have mentioned, all our properties use HTTPS.

2 Likes

@Aminah, may I ask a stupid question? I checked out SCV and itā€™s very cool. My question is: is there a text to voice technology that reads the Pali? Or has someone recorded the Pali translations? The English Sutta text parts seem to be read by a machine/app, but the Pali voice sounds more natural. Has someone recorded the Pali texts in her own voice? Iā€™m just curious how it works.

4 Likes

Her name is Aditi and she is an artificial voice. But Karl has very nicely taught her how to pronounce properly! :grin:

4 Likes

Wow. Thatā€™s brilliant

5 Likes

Hereā€™s a tiny bit more about Aditi:

In looking it up Iā€™ve discovered that Karlā€™s also been moonlighting as an Icelandic fella.

In fact, @UpasakaMichael, Karl had some extraordinary help with that task from one of our very own friends (hint: their name begins with ā€œSā€ and ends in ā€œabbamittaā€, and without their sustained, patient help the Pali wouldnā€™t be as good as it is).

6 Likes

Interesting! :laughing: :joy:
I always thought Karl is a German nameā€¦

2 Likes

Well, I donā€™t know, with all that weā€™re learning about him and knowing his super capabilities, maybe heā€™s also doing some part-time work as a German, too! :grin:

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be too surprised actually! :joy:
(At least I know he speaks some German.)

2 Likes

While talking about feedback on pronunciation: I have another one, but it concerns Amy, not Aditi.

Karl, you have made Amy pronounce Gotama very nicely; can you please do the same for Gotamī? She prominently features for example in AN 8.53 (one of my favorites).

Thank you very much! :anjal:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve added it to the list.

2 Likes

Here my first feedback on downloads:

Before the new release there was an introduction to the sutta in the English download, ā€œSuttaCentral Voice recordingā€”sutta numberā€”language acronymā€”name of translatorā€. This isnā€™t there any more now, neither in English only, nor in Pali-English, nor Pali only. This is of course a good solution for getting the pronunciation of the translatorā€™s name rightā€”but Iā€™m not sure if this is what was intendedā€¦ :grin:

2 Likes