The light side of Covid-19

Dear friends, sorry, Nessie needs a rest and shall dive down into its loch… to get calm under the obviously boiling surface of the water. I’d never thought what I would find in a serious buddhist discussion forum, even shared by monastics, taken as humor. (I’ve stepped aside locations like dhammawheel years ago, and now I can’t grasp some humor here… tz, tz, tz… )

2 Likes

10 Likes

The HelpDesk says to follow the titles. :wink:

12 Likes

7 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

quarantine = i see you
No quarantine = i c u

12 Likes

“But very supportive” said the caption.

or perhaps it’s “My house, My rules”.

18 Likes

13 Likes

5 Likes

11 Likes

1 Like

Good one. Found the full text here :rofl:

9 Likes

Not much to do with Covid-19, but it just occurred to me that everybody needs to see a Galápagoan blue-footed booby right now.

21 Likes

15 Likes

BBC sports commentator at home during UK ‘lockdown’ with his dogs

11 Likes

Personally I love ‘blue footed boobys’, and had posted this pic in another thread :grin:
But… I would please request that this is the limit of ‘slightly risque’ humour :pray:

The reason for this is that we have quite a large percentage of practicing monks and nuns who use this site, and who follow strict vinaya guidelines. Personally I value their participation on this forum very highly, and want to make it as user friendly as possible. The small extra laugh is not worth creating the smallest discomfort for others :pray:

14 Likes

Hi ZenKen, I see that you liked Viveka’s comment that she made about ‘slightly risque’ humour potentially offending monastics. I would also ask you to consider how jokes about looking at women’s body parts contribute to the objectivisation of women and whether jokes of this type have a place on the forum at all.
with metta

11 Likes

Oh. I thought it was a more subtle joke than that. I thought it was a joke directed at people who objectivise those who they identify as women. Which is completely at odds with the way you took it Gillian, but I can see what you mean now. Perhaps it wasn’t as clever as I thought and was more 1970s (UK -Benny Hill type) humour rather than 2020s humour? Oh perceptions, when will you be true?

3 Likes

Having multiple layers does indeed add to the subtlety of a joke but, imho, this doesn’t alter the crassness or whatever of the individual layers. Jokes can be hard to get right, and those with multiple meaning even more so. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All true.

I just love the look of those birds, and the sound of their common name makes makes me smile, like a 1 or 2 year old laughs at certain mouth sounds or words. :slight_smile:

Those blue feet are odd and beautiful to me. And I love their eyes. And postures.

4 Likes