Training AI models on the suttas

someone just have an idea to create a chatbot based on buddhist texts, he posted on reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comments/1284dlj/dharmagpt/

but it seems to me that he isn’t serious because he responded to all comments using chatgpt

… and the OP is deleted now.

just spotted a gpt4 chatbot fine-tuned with chinese canon, it’s behind paywall

There’s a generic Buddhism one as announced here NORBU the Buddhist chat-bot and this is a special EBT one, as the problem with generic Buddhism is as we know, on the deeper topics, views diverges.

Feel free to explore.

Haha just try to ask the 2 different versions this question:

jhanas do not require 5 physical senses to shut down is that true?

2 Likes

My current experience with AI is that DeepL cannot understand Bhante @Sujato’s four levels of Dhamma quotes. That’s really hard for me as well, but that’s because I listen to the translations.

I would use AI to help me connect with the world as I lose my sight. AI can read. I won’t be able to.

3 Likes

Note: This reply contains AI-generated content. :robot:

I ask Buddhism-related questions from ChatGPT almost every day.

But, when I do, I ask it to support the answer with quotes from suttas and cite the sources.

It takes content from SuttaCentral and Accession to Insight. :slight_smile: I find this extremely helpful.

But I realize I miss out on interacting with Kalyanamittas when I depend too much on AI.

Here’s a question I asked last week.

In which Suttas did the Buddha encourage the practice of Jhana? Provide supporting quotes.

ANSWER:

The Buddha frequently encouraged the practice of jhāna, or meditative absorption, as a means to attain deep states of concentration and insight. Here are some suttas where the Buddha specifically encourages jhāna practice, supported with quotes:

1. Ānāpānasati Sutta (MN 118) - The Discourse on Mindfulness of Breathing

• Quote: “Again, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters & remains in the second jhāna: rapture & pleasure born of concentration, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of concentration. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born of concentration.” (MN 118.17)
    • Source: MN 118
  2. Mahāsatipaṭṭhāna Sutta (DN 22) - The Great Discourse on the Foundations of Mindfulness

• Quote: “And what is right immersion? Katamo ca, bhikkhave, sammāsamādhi? Katamo ca, bhikkhave, sammāsamādhi? Katamo ca, bhikkhave, sammāsamādhi? It’s when a mendicant, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, enters and remains in the first absorption… the second absorption… the third absorption… the fourth absorption.” (DN 22.64)
    • Source: DN 22
  3. Brahmāyu Sutta (MN 91) - The Brahmāyu Sutta

• Quote: “And how is a mendicant consummate in virtue? Here, a mendicant is virtuous. They have a sense of conscience and prudence. They’re content, living lightly, with few duties, and easy to support. They’re not committed to any ideology, and they have good friends. They’re energetic, resolute, and established in mindfulness. They have the seven awakening factors developed to the supreme level. That’s how a mendicant is consummate in virtue.” (MN 91.11)
    • Source: MN 91
  4. Mahāsaccaka Sutta (MN 36) - The Greater Discourse to Saccaka

• Quote: “Then, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, I entered and remained in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. But the pleasant feeling that arose in this way did not invade my mind and remain.” (MN 36.20)
    • Source: MN 36

These quotes from various suttas demonstrate the Buddha’s encouragement of jhāna practice as a means to develop deep concentration and insight on the path to liberation.

Here’s a bonus question-answer I just asked: :innocent:

What is the best website to read early Buddhist texts?

For reading early Buddhist texts from various traditions beyond just the Pali Canon, SuttaCentral is one of the most comprehensive and reliable websites available. It provides a wide range of texts from different Buddhist schools, including the Pali Canon (Theravada), Chinese Agamas (Early Buddhist schools), Tibetan texts, and more. Here’s why SuttaCentral is often considered one of the best websites for accessing early Buddhist texts:

1. Extensive Collection: SuttaCentral offers a vast collection of early Buddhist texts, including translations of the Pali Canon, Chinese Agamas, and other related texts.

2. Multiple Traditions: It provides access to texts from various Buddhist traditions, allowing users to explore the diversity of early Buddhist teachings.

3. Original Texts and Translations: SuttaCentral includes original texts in their respective languages (Pali, Chinese, etc.) alongside translations into English and other languages.

4. Search Functionality: The website features a powerful search function that allows users to search for specific texts, keywords, or themes across different traditions.

5. User-Friendly Interface: SuttaCentral has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to navigate and explore the texts. It offers options for browsing by collection, language, or thematic grouping.

6. Comparative Studies: The website facilitates comparative studies by providing side-by-side comparisons of texts from different traditions, allowing users to explore parallels and differences in teachings.

Overall, SuttaCentral is an invaluable resource for anyone interested in studying early Buddhist texts, offering a wealth of material from diverse traditions in a user-friendly format.

Can you read MN118 directly and find this Jhāna formula there?

It’s not there. AI is unreliable.

Do check for all the other suttas as well.

2 Likes

Agree!

Also, the citation " MN 118.17" is incorrect.

Suttacentral uses a segment numbering system (ie. 1.1, 1.2 etc.) for referencing text inside a sutta.

MN118.17 is an invalid reference.

A valid reference would be MN118#17.1 but this leads to a text which is completely unrelated to what ChatGPT claims is the quote:

Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu araññagato vā rukkhamūlagato vā suññāgāragato vā nisīdati pallaṅkaṁ ābhujitvā ujuṁ kāyaṁ paṇidhāya parimukhaṁ satiṁ upaṭṭhapetvā.

So it appears ChatGPT is hallucinating the quote, the reference, and the actual context of the question.

As Neo would say in The Matrix: “Wow.”

1 Like

AI is not reliable for sure. And there is an issue with hyperlinks in ChatGPT. It creates wrong links.

If you go to [MN118] and search for “absorptions” using Ctrl+F, it shows 8 results.

The word is mentioned in the notes. This is probably why it picked the sutta.

The reference to Brahmāyu Sutta and the quote under that are strange. It is irrelevant and I’m not sure from where it was sourced. Google gives nothing.

Opening this thread again— just wanted to make sure it was not digressing in the wrong direction. Please follow the guidelines and the discussions should be okay.

Q39. Can I add/create a thread or post which contains AI (Artificial Intelligence) content from popular sources such as ChatGPT?
A: AI generated content is not encouraged. However, due to the popularity of free-to-use AI systems such as ChatGPT, we acknowledge that it is inevitable that there will be posts that draw from such sources, so please be aware that:

• Verbatim AI generated textual content is strongly discouraged. It should not make up the majority of the post or reply.
  • If AI-generated content (textual or other) is posted for discussion, its source must always be acknowledged.
  • Suspected unacknowledged AI text should be flagged, so that it can be considered by the moderators.
  • Any AI-generated content from any source may be considered inappropriate for reasons of quality, accuracy, triviality, or otherwise detracting from the quality of forum discussions.
  • AI-generated translations of EBT (Early Buddhist Text) material are acceptable if sourced and of sufficient quality, or welcomed by expert human translators. Whole-text AI translations must be hosted outside the forum.

:pray:t5:

2 Likes