Translations by Bhikkhu Sīlācāra

Greetings fellow Buddhists,

I came across this translation of the mūlapaṇṇāsa of the majjhimanikāya from 1912. I had never heard of it before, and supposedly the author was ordained as a sāmaṇera by the well known Nyāṇatiloka.

It’s worth mentioning that this was quite an impressive translation since back in 1912 since there wasn’t a single English translation of the majjhimanikāya until Lord Chalmers’s in 1926! The writing style is freely rendered so it can be a bit flowery and use outdated words at times, but I rather enjoyed the presentation and flow of it.

The First Fifty Discourses Volume I.pdf (12.2 MB)
The First Fifty Discourses Volume II.pdf (15.5 MB)

Additionally, here is a booklet of his translation of the samaññaphalasutta.

The Fruit of the Homeless Life.pdf (2.1 MB)

I am wondering if anyone has a copy or knows where I can find his translation of the dhammapada released in 1916 as ‘Dhammapada or Way of Truth’? I could only find an image of the cover of the book.

8 Likes

We have a translation of one of the Suttanipata texts by Silacara also. It’s a rather creditable rhyming translation.

https://suttacentral.net/snp1.2/en/silacara

3 Likes

You can read some of the verses from his translation in an anonymous anthology, In Praise of Poverty, but the full work doesn’t seem to be available online.

2 Likes