Unofficial epub for Middle Discourses

I couldn’t resist. Here is an unofficial epub and Kindle version of Bhante Sujato’s Translation of the Middle Discourses

Perhaps this will get more people reading and finding any more typos more quickly.

I hope posting this is in the spirit of Sutta Central. If not, please feel free to delete.

I created it by cutting and pasting from Firefox into LibreOffice. I saved as html and then pasted the text file into Sigil. In Sigil I did some search and replace to include the sutta numbers into the heading. The underlying html is extremely clean. Of course anyone is free to improve it.

This method would also work for DN, but AN and SN would be overwhelming.

13 Likes

Thanks for this. There should be an official EPUB before too long!

2 Likes

It wouldn’t open in Calibre in Linux:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py”, line 274, in main
res = {‘result’:func(*args, **kwargs)}
File “/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/oeb/iterator/book.py”, line 62, in extract_book
plumber.opts, plumber.input_fmt, log, {}, tdir)
File “/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/customize/conversion.py”, line 241, in call
log, accelerators)
File “/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plugins/epub_input.py”, line 197, in convert
extractall(stream)
File “/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/localunzip.py”, line 223, in extractall
_extractall(f, path)
File “/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/localunzip.py”, line 210, in _extractall
raise ValueError(‘Not a ZIP file’)
ValueError: Not a ZIP file

:frowning:

No idea about that. I did the well formatted e-pub check and it was ok.

It is a zip file. Fun fact… Any epub file can be unzipped by re-naming the file with .zip and then unzipping.

I did that and it unzipped fine.

Let me know which format you would like and I’m happy to use Calibre to create it.

Okay, I got it to work.

I used the “dowload” menu in the upper right corner at the dropbox site.

The first time I used the “save link as” option on the firefox context menu and that didn’t work

I change the link so clicking on it will not take you to dropbox at all. Should work better for everyone. Thanks for letting me know what the problem was.

Thanks for sharing your work!

You might want to post a link over on dhammawheel.com for the people there.

I went ahead and polished up the Middle Discourses, adding in the Pali titles and fixing the typography. Also added in a font in case your reader doesn’t support all the Pali.

2 Likes