Vitakka vicāra (Jhana-factors)

What are niramisa feelings?[quote=“silence, post:143, topic:2589”]
What about the simile of the bath powder, does it not refer explicitly to the first jhana and to the physical body at the same time?
[/quote]
That depends on if you think of body as the physical body or a body as in a collection of phenomena.

Like in the anapanasati sutta where you have the breath being a “body in the body”. The way I understand that is that the breath is a collection of phenomena in the body.[quote=“Mkoll, post:144, topic:2589”]
Can you quote some of these suttas?
[/quote]
A search on “perception of sensuality” reveals two suttas. Sorry for calling that “numerous”; implying that my argument is stronger than it really is.

Edit: AN 9.31 and DN9 come up from the search.

From the former:

“Monks, there are these nine step-by-step stoppings. Which nine?

“When one has attained the first jhāna, the perception of sensuality has been stopped. […]

What about the simile of the bath powder, does it not refer explicitly to the first jhana and to the physical body at the same time?

[quote=“Erik_ODonnell, post:145, topic:2589”]That depends on if you think of body as the physical body or a body as in a collection of phenomena.
[/quote]
In that simile there is no question whether or not it means the physical body or a collection of (only mental?) phenomena. The simile makes it crystal clear which one it is.

2 Likes

I agree, I think the first jhana simile fits much better for when the five sense are gone, because without the five senses “you are” just a ball of mental experiences, like that bath ball.

The first jhana simile for reference:

Just as if a skilled bathman or bathman’s apprentice would pour bath powder into a brass basin and knead it together, sprinkling it again and again with water, so that his ball of bath powder — saturated, moisture-laden, permeated within and without — would nevertheless not drip; even so, the monk permeates, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of withdrawal. There is nothing of his entire body [of mental phenomena]* unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal

Personally, I think that the similie can be just as consistent with the part in brackets. It just depends on how you read body.

*added by me

3 Likes

Thanks for looking those up.

I think that the interpretation of the first jhana’s “seclusion from sensuality” (vivicceva kāmehi) depends on how one interprets sensuality in the context of jhana. From Ven. Nyanatiloka’s dictionary, we see that sensuality has 2 different meanings.

[quote=“Buddhist Dictionary”]kāma may denote: 1. subjective sensuality, ‘sense-desire’; 2. objective sensuality, the five sense-objects.

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/bud-dict/dic3_k.htm[/quote]

IMO, it is referring to the first meaning. Why? Because the entrance into the first jhana requires the abandoning of the 5 hindrances, the first of which is sensual desire (kamacchanda). If this first hindrance was the five cords of sense pleasure (kamaguna), then it would be referring to the second meaning.

5 Likes

Ockham’s razor takes a serious toll at credibility.

Indeed. And you really need the immaterial states. It is only when you transcend something that you fully understand it.

I can give you a few references to where kāyena must refer to the mind rather than the body, if that’s what you mean.

AN9.43:

Furthermore, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters & remains in the second jhana… the third jhana… the fourth jhana… the dimension of the infinitude of space… the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness… the dimension of nothingness… the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. He remains touching with his body (kāyena) in whatever way there is an opening there.

Similarly the immaterial attainments are everywhere said to be “touched with the body,” such as SN12.70, AN8.72 , AN9.45, AN10.9, etc. It goes without saying that you cannot experience the immaterial attainments with the physical body.

AN4.189:

And what, bhikkhus, are the things to be realized by the body (kāyena)? The eight emancipations, bhikkhus, are to be realized by the body (kāyena).

These are the vimokkhas, which include the immaterial attainments.

AN4.113:

Resolute, he realizes the supreme truth with the body (kāyena) …

Supreme truth here is paramasaccaṃ and must refer to the stages of awakening. That this should refer to the physical body makes no sense.

Also, if you think about it, it does not make good sense that the happiness of third jhāna should be experienced with the physical body. First, we need to be clear about the distinction between bodily and mental happiness/pleasure. Bodily happiness is epitomised by sex. Mental happiness really refers to spiritual happiness - think of the joy you experience from living well. This may be partially experienced in the body, but is mostly a mental experience. It is this sort of happiness you experience in meditation. The deeper you go the more mental it becomes and correspondingly less physical. In this context it makes very little sense to think that the third jhāna is experienced through the body, as if there were no mental component to this happiness worth mentioning. I just don’t think it makes any sense to see the third jhāna in this way.

7 Likes

I suspect that the expression which we are translating here as “touch with the body” had back then an idiomatic meaning closer to witness, testify, experience.

4 Likes

Good on you, as they say here in Oz. I am really happy to hear that your meditation is going so well. It’s great that we have such experienced meditators on this forum.

Now imagine taking this to the next level …

4 Likes

for anyone interested, here’s yet another discussion about this topic…

3 Likes

Hi Bhante,

Thanks for all those references. They make it clear that kāyena is not referring to the physical body in those cases.

Whatever the case may be, what is clear is that the truth of these states can only be known personally via diligent practice.

:anjal:

1 Like

@frankk
Great to know your progress. Appears to me that you are not taking breath (air) as your object, but rather pleasant feeling. And it seems that the divergent point on yours is at the end of 2nd tetrad.
If you choose to continue with that, there is a question; the vibration pleasant buzz, does it occur whole body at once?
You might want to find some discussion on metta perhaps.

The simile of the bol of soap must be physical. How do you suffuses and permeates your whole mind with pītī and sukha? You can do this with the physical body because it has many parts that you can be aware of and direct your sati towards. How do you do that with the mind that has only one element active at a time? When I feel happy or whatever the whole mind is happy or whatever, there is nothing I can direct my sati to to suffuse parts of the mind that are not happy.

2 Likes

For example, when a strong feeling of joy arises, you focus on it and your mind gets sucked into it. The totality of your experience becomes that joy, it fills up your whole experience.

Edit: I.e. that process of getting the mind sucked into that single experience of joy is a process of permeating the mind with piti and sukha, in the sense that your experience is totally suffused and filled by that joy.

To my understanding so far, it’s a process of converging towards a single experience. I would say that it probably has to be a joyful experience, because those experiences have enough pull on the mind to pull it away from the five senses, and release it from the five senses.

Hi

May I trouble you to analyse and explain the 4 similes by pointing out what each simile’s “vehicle” is, as compared to the “tenor” and how each of these leads you to conclude that “body” means physical body?

The mind can be quite fragmented and distracted (asati); samādhi/citta-ekaggatā is the unification of mind, right? If it’s such a rarefied state defined by unification that must mean the ordinary mind is not quite unified.

In some suttas where there are debates, an opponent sometimes threatens to split the other’s mind into 7 pieces.

Thank you for asking. I have to confess that I did not read the simile again before writing this which I should have because my memory of it was not accurate. As a result I would not have said “crystal clear” but quite or reasonably clear as the argument appears a little less strong as I thought. However I think it still holds quite robustly. Also, I was talking about the bath powder simile so only about the first jhana and I will answer accordingly.

First here is the simile:

"Quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful mental qualities, he enters and remains in the first jhana: rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought and evaluation. He permeates and pervades, suffuses and fills this very body with the rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal. Just as if a skilled bathman or bathman’s apprentice would pour bath powder into a brass basin and knead it together, sprinkling it again and again with water, so that his ball of bath powder — saturated, moisture-laden, permeated within and without — would nevertheless not drip; even so, the monk permeates… this very body with the rapture and pleasure born of withdrawal. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by rapture and pleasure born from withdrawal.

So the tenor being “kaya” the vehicle is the “ball of bath powder”. What is quite clear and even crystal clear is that the vehicle is something physical and the tenor is a word that very often means also something physical, the human body. The most simple and straightforward interpretation is that the tenor is similar to the vehicle and therefore kaya means the physical body. Considering that it must mean the mind or anything not physical would not satisfy the lex parcimoniae and it would also cast serious doubt over the Buddha’s ability to make appropriate similes since the vehicle would not resemble the tenor which would be misleading rather than enlightening. Such a mistake would also be in stark contrast with the effectiveness of his similes everywhere else in the sutta pitaka .

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation Bhante, I’m getting a better sense of how you understand 3rd jhana. But I still can not comprehend how you don’t see that an EBT-OR reading with kaya as an anatomical body fits like a glass slipper on cinderalla, especially in the jhana similes of AN 5.28. There’s no question that a mind only deep samadhi experience is more subtle and sublime than one involving the anatomical body. It’s implied and explicitly stated at times in the standard 9 samadhi attainments.

But nothing about the 4 jhana similes worded in pali makes you think the Buddha meant kaya in the same way as the “kaya that touches formless.
attainments”.

(first jhana)

imameva kāyaṃ
(in) this body
vivekajena pīti-sukhena
(with) seclusion-based rapture-(&)-pleasure;
abhi-sandeti pari-sandeti
(it) flows (in), over-flows,
pari-pūreti pari-p-pharati;
completely-fills, completely-pervades;
nāssa kiñci sabbāvato kāyassa
no part (of his) entire body
{******** }.
{is un-pervaded}
vivekajena pīti-sukhena
(by) seclusion-based rapture-(&)-pleasure
Ap-phuṭaṃ hoti.
{
**** }.
(first jhana bathman ball of soap similes goes here, and then the body count continues!)
(entire anatomical body refrain)
Evamevaṃ kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhu
even so, monks, a monk
imameva kāyaṃ
(in) this body
vivekajena pīti-sukhena
(with) seclusion-based rapture-(&)-pleasure;
abhi-sandeti pari-sandeti
(it) flows (in), over-flows,
pari-pūreti pari-p-pharati;
completely-fills, completely-pervades;
nāssa kiñci sabbāvato kāyassa
no part (of his) entire body
{
**** }.
{is un-pervaded}
vivekajena pīti-sukhena
(by) seclusion-based rapture-(&)-pleasure
Ap-phuṭaṃ hoti.
{
**** ****}.

Ariyassa, bhikkhave, pañc-aṅgikassa sammā-­samā­dhissa
(of the) Noble, ********, five-factored right-concentration,
ayaṃ paṭhamā bhāvanā. (1)
this (is the) first development.

for the remaining jhanas, the pattern continues where the body is filled, overfilled, permated, saturated with jhana-factors.

There’s an enormous body count (kaya count) in this sutta. You think if the Buddha meant kaya in a metaphorical sense, he would be careful to not use the word “kaya” so much.

Also, the expression at the start of each jhana, “Imameva kāyam”, is exactly like how all of the samadhi/satipatthana/kayagata exercises such as 31 body parts, 9 corpses, etc, start out, each referrring unequivocally to the anatomical body. You can’t cherry pick a higher attainment of the formless attainment and try to retrofit that definition of kaya in a lower attainment. But you can swap in comparable samadhi exercises like 31 body parts and assume it’s the same “kaya” that has 31 parts and 9 stages of corpses as the kaya that expereinces the 4 jhana similes.

edit: well technically you can cherry pick, but then you’ll have to deal with people like me asking for reasonable justification. “vimutti”/liberation (somewhere in the cluster of suttas around 9.30 that deal with 9 samadhi attainments), is also defined in ways that have a range of meaning besides nibbana, including temporary liberation from five hindrances in first jhana. In the same way, you can’t reasonably take the higher meaning of “kaya” in reference to formless attainments and try to apply it to an area where vimutti is in reference to 5 hindrances, or vitakka and vicara ceasing in second jhana, etc.

1 Like

pardon me butting in, but i just wanted to add a few of my own experiences, and those of some visuddhimagga jhana expert meditators that are relevant here. i’m just going to lay out some interesting bare facts and you can draw your own conclusions.

story number 1, block of ice and jumping into a lake

one my teachers, an expert bhikkhu meditator in vism. tradition, with more than 20 vassa, he once used a simile for jhana like jumping into a lake. he described the process prior of his being able to attain jhana like a block of ice in his chest that was slowly melting, and when it completely melted, that’s when he was able to first get into jhana.

i could describe my own jhana experience the same way, in reference to the anatomical body, but he’s talking about the kaya/body in the abhidhamma sense of “body of mental aggregates.” you really think we’re experiencing two completely different things?

story number 2: relaxing the face

another vism. jhana expert shared with me the key to his able to breaking through into jhana was to make sure his face, neck, head were really relaxed. we’re both practicing anapana sati 4 steps according to vism.

so i ask him, "but aren’t you doing sabba kaya patisamvedi (step 3 of anapana) as being aware of your anatomical body, in order to relax those body parts, which is opposite of what we’re being taught to do, which is stay with perception of light and completely ignore the anatomical body?
he had no answer for that.

story number 3: when i knew i had first jhana, 2nd jhana

before you get a strong second jhana, you’re not sure if you had a first jhana, or it was just bits and pieces of piti sukha.

and the thing about the 4 jhanas is that it’s not an exact science. your experience in the magnitude and nuances of piti sukha evolves, so piti and sukha are not in themselves a reliable indicator of what jhana you’re in.

For me, second jhana was like a flash flood, where in a moment, the magnitude of piti-sukha jumped up 10 fold in power. one moment, you’re just mildly comfortable and the next, like a switch got flipped and i’m submerged in a lake. it’s like an inverted lake. instead of the cool water enveloping you from the outside of your skin, the apo-dhatu, vata-dhatu, tejo-dhata, the interaction of the water, wind, fire element can be felt rumbling inside the anatomical body, moving along different pathways. it also feels like your sitting in a jacuzz on the water jets forcing water onto your butt. or sitting in a hot spring where the force of the hot water shooting up from the spring below is hitting you, which is exactly what the 2nd jhana simile says. whereas before in first jhana, you still felt connection with the outside world more, but 2nd jhana the water (pitisukha) just completely floods your senses. that’s why second jhana is ekaggata and samadhi based pitisukha, whereas in first jhana the action of the bathman kneading water in the soap interrupts the continuity of the pitisukha pleasure juice (interruption caused by vitakka and vicara). it also occurred to me when the buddha put “sato and sampajano” in the 3rd jhana instead of earlier. In the first 2 jhanas, the piti sukha can be so intense and ‘loud’ it’s hard to do anything else except bask in it.

the full body orgasm diminishes over time. ajahn brahm uses that as an analogy to encourage people to practice and attain jhana, but you shouldn’t look for it or expect it because not everyone is going to get it that intense. as the 4 elements in the body harmonize, things over the weeks and months are going to get smoother.

other times, the transition for me between 1st and 2nd jhana felt like i suddenly dropped into a 10 foot hole (that visceral feeling in the stomach of sudden gravity pull). other times, it felt like i’m driving the car on the highway and i forgot i had the cruise control turned on, and suddenly cruise control kicked back in and pushed the accelerator, so i felt like control just got taken away from me by an unknown outside force.

i use ananapa 16 most of the time, and my experience matches up exactly with what Ajahn Lee and Ven. Thanissaro teach. Ven. T. says something like, in first jhana, the central spatial focus of your awareness of the breath in the anatomical body is the foreground awareness, and how the breath feels kinaesthetically flowing the body is in the background. in other words it feels like they’re disconnected. in second jhana, BOOM! the foreground background merge into one, it feels like breath and pitisukha sensations buzzing everywhere in the body, no clear separation of arm, leg, head, torso as in first jhana.

3rd jhana the piti sukha juice, water in the simile, feels just like that. like your body is completely still, like it kind of snapped into an effortless posture staying in place for hours, none of the moving vibrations in the anatomical body or emotional thrills of first and 2nd jhana, with the anatomical body still and calm, it more natural to place attention on visual light. the simile talks about a white, blue, red lotus completely submerged in a still water pond, i think those could be referring to a white, blue, red nimitta, i’ve experienced all of those colors at various stages.

last story: after first jhana in vism., fourth jhana is yours within a couple of days.

several very experienced meditators in the vism. jhana tradition have said this. That is, once they’ve certified you can do first jhana, within a few days you’re doing fourth jhana.

does this seem strange to you? the buddha taught a gradual training, that surely must include a gradual training for the samadhi portion of the path. he used a simile of the ocean floor with a very long, smooth gradual declining slope, until there’s a sudden drop off, which represent nibbana.

he didn’t mention any other drop off, like one that blocks first jhana.

my own experience with an EBT-OR (ockhams razor) jhanas is that it is a gradual slope over months and years.

2 Likes

Dear Frankk
Many many thanks for sharing with great details your experiences with Jhanas.
It is so refreshing to read testimonies instead of the often scholarly comments.
All you say is helpful understanding better my own experience with Jhana.
One question you say vism Jhana why? I say Buddha or Sutta Jhana.

2 Likes

Thanks silence, but I wonder if you noticed a problem with your reasoning when taken to its ends.

If you are saying that the Buddha’s use of similes would not involve a physical vehicle to refer to a non-physical tenor, then that is clearly wrong. A very quick survey of ATI’s list of similes should dispel that notion, eg -

• reed, sword and snake as the vehicles for the manomaya kāya : DN 2
  • snake skin as the vehicle for the āsavas : Sn 1.1
  • monkey as vehicle for the mind, and the monkey’s paws as vehicle for contact : SN 12.61

I hope this does not cause offence, but I think the resort to Occam’s Razor is simply sweeping under the carpet difficult issues we do not like. What exactly would you mean by “the most simple and straightforward interpretation”, when evidence from Vedic suggests that the kāya in sakkāya refers back to atta in its pronominal guise?

Then you have kāyena, which also carries echoes of the Vedic connection to a pronominal function.

Why can’t the kāya in the jhana pericopes also function pronominally? I think you should be able to analyse this sentence -

So imameva kāyaṃ vivekajena pītisukhena abhisandeti parisandeti paripūreti parippharati, nāssa kiñci sabbāvato kāyassa vivekajena pītisukhena apphuṭaṃ hoti.

and agree that nothing in the syntax prevents the pronominal reading, nor prefers the nominal reading (ie the physical body) over the pronominal (ie his/himself). In fact, the PTS entry for this usage of kāya in relation to the jhanas explains it pronominally.

I think it is pointless making an appeal for the most simple or straightforward answer, as that impugns all of the scholarship that suggests that the most simple and straightforward answer only appears to be so in English, but not in Middle Indo Aryan. What good reason do we have to reject the pronominal reading, when elsewhere the Buddha uses it pronominally with no known side-effects to His auditors?

Even when He went out on a limb in DN 9 and effectively said that kāya is attapaṭilābhā (acquisition of self/selfhood)(ie using it nominally to refer to the substantive atta), it does not appear that Poṭṭhapāda or Citta misunderstood this to be anything more than a worldly designation.