Volunteer translators needed for SC interface ✍🏽

Whatever is the easiest for you :anjal:

1 Like

Oh wow. That’s great!

Final step would be to post the file(s) to this thread. You will need to use some sort of file sharing service like GoogleDrive or MediaFire. Do you have them ready or would you like me to make a spreadsheet with the Google Translate version to get you started?

1 Like

Thanks! I have google drive. I will figure out the rest. I just wanted to know how to send stuff back.

1 Like

Oh, I missed that you could also work on Italian. Here is a Google Translate spreadsheet for Italian.

Awesome. Here are Google Translate spreadsheets if it is helpful:

2 Likes

Gabriel, for a one-off file/task I would embrace Snowbird’s spreadsheet method :slight_smile: :pray:

2 Likes

Just wanted to check in and see if you needed assistance with anything. No rush.

1 Like

Thanks for checking! I am fine translation-wise, just busy with an intense course I am doing. I will be done with the translation this coming week.
:pray:t5:

1 Like

I can do * සිංහල. Surprised if someone hasn’t done it already since many people i know use it.

1 Like

Great! I had actually started working on Sinhala with a friend, but he is a bit busy with other things right now. We corrected the first quarter or so of the Google Tranlsate version. Feel free to make any changes/improvements etc.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qlx27ssq6wyhz70/Sinhala_Sutta_Central.xlsx/file

When you are finished you can either share a link here or in a PM.

Let us know if you have questions about what a segment is used for in the interface.

1 Like

OK! We’ve got 4 new interface translations up on the staging site: https://staging.suttacentral.net/

If folks could take a look and let me know if things look good we can ask @HongDa to push them to the published site.

Thanks to all of you and to HongDa and to all the coders who made the internationalization possible!

And if anyone knows someone who could translate a language in the list in the first post of this thread, please let us know.

2 Likes

Is it possible (and easy) to defer the readers of a language without interface to another language comprehensible for them that has an interface translation? For example, when someone selects “Saarländisch” they should see German interface rather than English?

That would probably add unnecessary complexity. There is only one translation on the whole site into Saarländisch. It would be much easier to simply duplicate the German interface translations.

I suppose that we could do the same with Catalan → Spanish, although then it becomes a touch political. One might also assume that a Kannada or Bengali speaker would be fluent in Hindi.

Bhante @Sujato? Thoughts?

Ideally one would be able to choose their interface language and then a different (or multiple) sutta translation preferences.

1 Like

Hi everyone.

Dear @snowbird Russian looks good. Didn’t see any problems

пн, 28 авг. 2023 г., 12:47 Snowbird via Discuss & Discover <forum@discourse.suttacentral.net>:

2 Likes

Greetings from Finland!

I’d be happy to translate these to Suomi / Finnish.

2 Likes

And here is my contribution in Finnish (Suomi): interface_root-en-site.json - Google Drive

2 Likes

Great! Sadhu!!

So now we have 12 completed and 5 more in the works. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Now this is up on the staging site. If you have time please check it out.

1 Like

To all interface translators: A few new items have still be added to the “interface” file. The following are the relevant keys and english values:

“viewCompactButtonText”: “spacing”,
“viewComfyButtonText”: “spacing”,
“toolsButtonText”: “views”,
“infoButtonText”: “info”,
“showParallelsButtonText”: “parallels”,
“showToCButtonText”: “contents”,
“showParallelTableViewButtonText”: “table”,
“searchOptionsButtonText”: “languages”,
“searchFilterButtonText”: “filter”,

You may wish to translate these into your language too.

So that would be for

Do you know the difference between Comfy and Compact?

1 Like

It’s the two modes between which “spacing” is toggling. But I am not sure where you see it in the UI.