We're live!

We are planning to make both ebooks and printed books for the Nikayas, but that’s a project we will not start until the proofreading is finished.

10 Likes

Congratulations to all the people who worked on this project! I hope you’ll take time to enjoy and rejoice after achieving this milestone.

The side-by-side display of the Pali together with the translation is such a great feature. The granular referencing will be very handy as well. And thanks for not forgetting all the offline users! I’m looking forward to use this great resources.

Much, much gratitude to you all, known and unknown contributors :anjal:

7 Likes

Please note there are a couple of features that are not working yet on the live site. This has to do with the move to the new url and broken links as a result. We are working on it!

6 Likes

How great does it look! (And read!)
Big thanks and sadhus to all who made the new site and new translations possible! :pray: :pray::pray:

7 Likes

I just emailed 8 other esteemed monks I know, to help spread the news (whom I never see posting here). I was so stoked (in a good way) that I couldn’t contain myself.

So that’s some free PR for you. :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank you so much! :pray:
We also have many users that use the site but don’t login.

3 Likes

Absolutely marvellous. Really nice. Thank you all very much.

… but … it’s not a bug or anything, but I use a few different “send to kindle” type extensions.

Send to Kindle by klip.me on Chrome/Windows and Upload to Kindle by bad apps on Android phone (via Chrome). Both worked well on the legacy site, but no more.

3 Likes

@stu: Have you ever used the software “Calibre”? It bends over backwards to support the Kindle (and many, many other ebook readers out there). Maybe Calibre can help somehow (in making a Kindle-friendly conversion for you). It has many optional plugins, etc. (See Preferences -> Plugins).

If you’re lucky, in time, a SuttaCentral-specific Calibre plugin might be written, which would create nice Kindle ebooks for you.

I use Calibre quite a bit myself, and have come to see it as an indispensable piece of kit (as I have quite a few ebooks, mostly .pdf’s, which will not display well on a kindle). I love Calibre’s tagging feature to keep the ebook collection well-organized.

2 Likes

Anumodana!

Many Thanks!

7 Likes

Thanks @Subharo Yes. I use Calibre from time to time. It’s great. I haven’t looked into the plugins though, so it may have what I require, but I’m not hopeful.

The Chrome and Android extensions that I’m talking about are great when I am trawling the internet looking for a variety of resources on an area of interest and I can just press a button and a text version is sent directly to my kindle so I can sit off later (often in places where the internet doesn’t shine) and have uninterrupted offline e-ink reading of the resources that I gathered earlier. But maybe it’s time to change my archaic way of working.

2 Likes

Hi @stu,

I’ve been using the “Push to Kindle” chrome extension by FiveFilters.org. On sites that don’t automatically show up right in the initial screen, there is an option at the top called “pastepad”. I’ve been selecting the text on SuttaCentral and pasting it there. It’s an extra step but it works pretty well.

4 Likes

It’s going to take me a while to discover all the new features. I’m astounded how the parallels are symbolically marked as “Full parallel”, “Resembling parallel” and “Mentions”. That must have taken a huge amount of effort to map out. Somebody is a very good database schema designer!! :smiley:

Very well done! This sort of thing would be very, very cumbersome to be done in printed paper. I’m thinking perhaps the WWW just blew away printed paper in the world of Buddhism. All these sorts of neat, mind-bending, multi-dimensional features will be just about impossible to represent in an ebook format.

9 Likes

OK. So that worked. Thank-you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome :smile: I really like having that ability and being able to use Kindle’s dictionary, bookmarks, notes, etc.

4 Likes

Me too.

And that little utility (https://pastepad.fivefilters.org/) looks pretty neat for knocking out quick ebook’s. Nice find!

4 Likes

Hello again.

I upgraded to FF 58 and the experience is about the same.

The page seems to be taking a while to load, sometimes it loads completely, sometimes a few parts fail to load like the side menu or the random sutta.

This are some errors/messages I see in the console:

Service worker event waitUntil() was passed a promise that rejected with 'Error: '.

You are currently using minified code outside of NODE_ENV === 'production'. This means that you are running a slower development build of Redux. You can use loose-envify (https://github.com/zertosh/loose-envify) for browserify or DefinePlugin for webpack (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30030031) to ensure you have the correct code for your production build.

The precaching service worker did not load correctly!Local resources will not be cached for offline use.Ignore this if you are running in development mode.

It runs fine once the site is loaded, but it takes quite a while to load, when it loads. I don’t think it is the internet connection, other sites load just fine, including this forum.

This is an example of load times, when it loads.

Vivaldi seems to be working about the same, it just takes a while to load the components, specially the sub-parts of the page like the menu.

Just to be clear: Once the page loads, it works perfect, really nice, it just takes a while to load (when it does). I will try with the offline mode and see if there are any problems there.

Thank you.

1 Like

Amazing! Thanks for the amazing work!

:sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Wow, looks amazing! Thank you all for your hard work in offering this great gift of Dhamma.

One thing I’ve noticed (using Chrome on Windows 10 desktop) is there is an unsafe scripts icon showing. Maybe it was there before and I never noticed it, but I thought I’d point it out. The website and forum are all zippy fast for me (in California).

1 Like

Anumodana! :yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart:

I hope there is space for a little song bird … :slight_smile:

Hand in My Pocket
Alanis Morissette
I’m broke but I’m happy, I’m poor but I’m kind
I’m short but I’m healthy, yeah
I’m high but I’m grounded, I’m sane but I’m overwhelmed
I’m lost but I’m hopeful, baby
What it all comes down to
Is that everything’s gonna be fine, fine, fine
'Cause I’ve got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is giving a high five

I feel drunk but I’m sober, I’m young and I’m underpaid
I’m tired but I’m working, yeah
I care but I’m restless, I’m here but I’m really gone
I’m wrong and I’m sorry baby
Is that everything is going to be quite alright
And the other one is flicking a cigarette

Is that I haven’t got it all figured out just yet
And the other one is giving a peace sign

I’m free but I’m focused, I’m green but I’m wise
I’m hard but I’m friendly, baby
I’m sad but I’m laughing, I’m brave but I’m chicken shit
I’m sick but I’m pretty baby
And what it all boils down to
Is that no one’s really got it figured out just yet
I’ve got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is playing the piano

And what it all comes down to, my friends, yeah
Is that everything is just fine fine fine
I’ve got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is hailing a taxi cab

2 Likes

This is so fantastic, congrats to all! Love the new style, and the dark theme is a dream come true.

Can’t wait to dig into the new Sutta translations too!

Sadhu sadhu sadhu :pray:

4 Likes