We're live!

@stu, @Subharo & @aconlan. Great teamwork there!
We are using some very new technologies and not all browsers might work optimally with that yet. We have not tested on Kindle. Firefox will roll out some upgrades in the next few months after which it should work better there. Edge-users are redirected to the old site for now.

3 Likes

I referred your question to our devas and will get back to you.

1 Like

Congratulations!

I noticed that some of Ven. Sujato’s translations do not yet appear: SN 36 onwards, as well as AN 10 and AN 11.

1 Like

This is correct. Not all AN and SN translations have been uploaded/proofread yet.

1 Like

Like! Like! I ran out of likes for the day :wink:

6 Likes

This new site is incredible.

However, a legacy problem I have is the thousands links that exist on this and other sites, such as https://dhammawheel.com/viewforum.php?f=25

Knowing that changes were coming, I have, in recent times, deliberately referenced suttas as:

https://suttacentral.net/an4.62

which still works fine, of course.

However, links that used to work, like:
https://suttacentral.net/en/an4.62
now fail. And I think there are also some old links like:
https://suttacentral.net/an4.62/en
which may have been failing even on the last version of the site.

I seem to recall some discussion about having a fall-back system so that those old links would give us:
https://suttacentral.net/an4.62

Is this in the pipeline?

But, congratuations, again! :heart:

1 Like

Not a bug, just an observation.

I’m taking the “Using SuttaCentral offline” feature for a spin (as this new-fangled “Progressive Web App” thing is interesting).

It seems to be downloading, but that 28.28 MB (pictured below) has taken all morning! Like 5ish hours. Is the database, etc. on SSD drives in your server(s)? I hope so (How is the Disk I/O on the servers?)

1 Like

Looks very neat and Anumodana for this generous offer, but maybe the little but important “why not paste sensitive content here” could be more visible, it’s “easy” to miss that information if one is in a hurry!?

1 Like

Congratulations to the team!!
It looks very pale in my computer.

1 Like

First a big congrats to all involved in this monumental work, a BIG sadhu and anumodana! :anjal: :heart:

I really hate to rain on our parade here but I always had a knack for finding bugs. Ayya @Vimala, if this is not an appropriate thread please fork this reply to a new post and then we can all put more detailed descriptions of all the issues in a dedicated thread.

Here are some issues (Chromium 32bit, touch interface):

• SC IDs popup links from D&D don’t work (with or without unsafe scripts enabled; possibly link problems due to migration)
  • Referencing one sutta from a range is not possible? eg. AN 2.12 from SuttaCentral
  • SC search for these kinds of suttas doesn’t find the sutta eg. search for an2.12
  • Cite button is not working on some suttas; also it doesn’t quote the selected text, just parallels and reference link
  • Input focus is not in the search field on SC after selecting search tool (could be because of touch interface?)
  • Discuss link from SC -> D&D (sutta ID reference "id1.1 ") and search for sutta IDs within D&D return highly inaccurate results
  • Theme on D&D didn’t switch automatically for me (I changed it manually, I can provide how-to if someone needs help with this)
  • Some design issues with new D&D theme (spacing for titles, lists, tables, sans serif font for body?)
  • badges on all badges page (/badges) are completely garbled
  • ‘why are you editing’ field breaks on focus (in edit post)
  • And for the end not a bug but instead a BIG thumbs up for Two Factor Authentication :thumbsup:

I also see HUGE emojis in my post preview window now, anyone else has the same problem?

1 Like

Yes, me too, but it comes out right once I actually post.

1 Like

I totally agree, maybe they should have it in red or something. It’s a tool I use though, I don’t have anything to do with the developers. You’ll also notice that they paste their company at the top of the first page of the file sent to your Kindle, but that’s really not a problem for me since I just use it for my convenience.

2 Likes

After changing the theme, remember to also click “SAVE CHANGES” at the bottom.

2 Likes

Same here. Looks ok once posted but quite large in the editor.

2 Likes

I am the first to read the first Sutta.
Thank you, Bhante @sujato
I finished reading DN1.
Now it is called The Prime Net not the net of all views.
I have read this Sutta many times before, however, I learned something new.

When an ordinary person speaks praise of the Realized One, they speak only of trivial, insignificant details of mere ethics. And what are the trivial, insignificant details of mere ethics that an ordinary person speaks of?>

2 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but in the top left corner of the forums there is this (look at the top left above “Discuss & Discover”):

Looks like the picture/logo is missing for the Sutta Central main site up there?

Using:
Legacy theme
Chrome
Windows 10 desktop

1 Like

@Mkoll, You need to change your theme.

Click your avatar—settings (gear icon)—interface—theme—select SC Material design—scroll down, save changes.

You will probably need to logoff/login or clear browser cache if it doesn’t switch at first.

Hi musiko,

I have changed my theme to the legacy theme from the new theme. I have also cleared the cache. However, the appearance is the same which leads me to think it is not on my end. Regardless, it’s a minor quibble; not even that, really a bug report.

Thank you.

2 Likes

I also had some problems switching the theme, maybe you can try closing all browser windows and try again, I believe the problem is browser cache.

Edit: I have completely missed the text (Legacy Theme) under the picture and have completely misunderstood the initial question, apologies for that :smile:

2 Likes

My search in Thai does not return anything with the new website. Any suggestion here? English works ok.

2 Likes