We're live!

Well done folks. I appreciate the amount of work that has gone into both the code and sutta translations. Laudable.

4 Likes

No worries. Weā€™re all getting used to the new digs. :wink:

2 Likes

Everything looks very nice on my end.

1 Like

Just to clarify, is this on the main site or the forum?

Both are served over secure SSL encryption, but occasionally we get a warning on some threads in the forum, if they include linked images, etc. that are on unsecure sites.

Thanks for the mention, in fact it seems all non-English languages are broken in the search. We will look into it. (Search in multiple languages is hard!)

1 Like

:blush: Oopos, weā€™ll look into that. Thereā€™s quite a few details with the themeing here on D&D that can do with some tweaking. For the most part we have just adopted a third-party theme, and Vimala has customized the colors and a few details. Weā€™ll iron out the bugs here over the next few weeks, but our main focus is still with the main site.

2 Likes

It looks great in Firefox!!

1 Like

Thanks, this is just what we need.

Yes, these will be broken for a while. Weā€™ll fix it, but the URL structure on SC is different so itā€™s abit complicated.

These are some of the hardest problems we have faced. But you can reference for example:

https://suttacentral.net/an2.11-20/en/sujato#sc12.1

Yes, on the old site we had an extra search field that would bring up the sutta for which there was an ID. We should do that on the new site, too! Having said which, you can just write the ID in the URL. Thatā€™s what I do!

Can you give me an example?

It is in focus for me, weā€™ll look into it.

Yes, this is a limitation of D&Dā€™s search, which is based on Postresql. In fact I thought we had disabled this and we just giving a plain link to D&D.

This was something we looked into in some detail, and due to technical difficulties we shelved. One reason was that we when originally built this function we wanted to promote D&D, but now it seems to be pretty healthy as is. So letā€™s see if there is a clamoring for this feature back, and if so, weā€™ll take another look.

Ahh, yeah, donā€™t know whatā€™s up with that.

iā€™ll be reviewing the CSS in a few weeks.

Yikes!

Okay, will look into it.

Thank Discourse for this, not us!

1 Like

Congratulations to all involved! The site looks wonderful. All the hard work has proved its value.

I did notice, however, that the banner on the top of the D&D page covers part of the page.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll post here in case anyone else is having a problem with this. I still canā€™t get the new site to open using Safari (10.1.2) Itā€™s not a question of taking a long time; itā€™s just forever blank. A lesson in impermanence and emptiness perhaps :wink: (and wow, why is that emoji giant now in the right hand window as I type? I just clicked on the toolbar above as usual) The old site, using legacy.suttacentral.net, opens fine as does Discourse.

Anyway, Iā€™ll let you know if anything changes . Hoping it can be fixed as thatā€™s the browser I use all the time. Meanwhile much gratitude to everyone who has worked on or contributed to it

3 Likes

This is fixed.
Your other issue also has to do with the move of the old site and we will take care of that. Thanks for reporting!

See Slack discussion. This has to do with a http address to the plugin instead of https.

Once you login this will go away. This is this particular theme that does that.

1 Like

Congrats everyone. I havenā€™t explored in depth but everything I have seen looks good! Your hard work definitely shows!!

1 Like

Yes, I know. Will it affect the useability for those who do not log in?

1 Like

Good question. You can still see all the categories and posts/treads. But maybe this can be changed by CSS (we cannot change the Javascript of this theme). I will put it on the to-do list.

1 Like

The forum. Iā€™ve looked through a few threads just now and it hasnā€™t popped up.

Thank you all for your feedback. It is greatly appreciated.
Iā€™ve made a list of the issues you have reported here and we will discuss these with the developers.

6 Likes

We havenā€™t tested on Vivaldi. As itā€™s based on Blink it should work pretty well, but do let us know of any issues.

1 Like

Yeas, our developers are looking into this, it should be fixed soon. PWA is still very new tech, so we need to learn how to do it properly. The time issue is because each resource is being called one by one. We are implementing async loading which should solve this.

2 Likes