We're live!

Agree.
This project is almost parallel to the Tipitaka is written to Sinhalese in Matale Aluvihara in Sri Lanka.
Perhaps it will equate if we add other Sutta’s yet to come.
Considering this is a one-man effort completed in two years is pretty incredible.
This is not a human work.

7 Likes

Haven’t had time to really get into it yet… but first impression is it looks… freakin’ amazing!

There is a psychology to design, it can affect us on subconscious/emotional levels. The new design, typefaces, everything… gives a kind of clean, friendly, lovely feeling.

Nobody has said anything about the Sujato translations yet?
Haven’t gotten into them much yet either, but first impression is they seem very down-to-earth, modern, direct, plain. Not to diss the Bodhi translations because they are still awesome and we owe a huge debt of gratitude to both of these great scholar monks, but the two translation styles give a totally different “texture” to the texts. Bodhi a more archaic, holy, almost Victorian/King James vibe. I think they are complementary, and it is nice (…incredible, actually) to be able to read these different sutta translations side by side and absorb two different flavors of the same text. Of course, the Sujato translations are probably more readily relatable to a modern audience being first introduced to the texts.

Some minor comments:

For those wanting to use deprecated web browsers for some reason, qutebrowser seems to render just fine:

How does the “offline” download work?
If it does tax the webserver in some way… perhaps y’all could start a private bittorent tracker and “the community” here and elsewhere could all take part in hosting the texts, keeping them alive, on bittorent protocol. Just an idea… not sure if it would work out logistically. You’re probably already serving these files off a CDN anyway.

One small constructive criticism: the side panel.
I realize it defaults to popped out so that it draws attention. But as you scroll the “hamburger” disappears, so you have no option to “un-pop” it without scrolling to the top.
edit: nevermind, I found out if you just scroll up a little quickly the topnav appears again, I guess that just wasn’t intuitive to me.

How about this one then? The chat icon gets you from any page on suttacentral.net over to D&D quite easily (surely, we’ll see more D&D visitors that way). There’s no easy way I can see to get back to SC though…

3 Likes

2 feature requests/suggestions:

1. Allow use of the mouse wheel to scroll through the left sidebar. When I put my mouse in there and scroll, it only scrolls the main page to the right, not the left sidebar.

2. Make AN and KN easier to navigate via the left sidebar, i.e. more numbers. E.g. in the picture below, I don’t know what suttas are in the nipata subcategories (etadagga, atthana, pathamapannasaka, etc.) unless I click them.

Or e.g. here from KN:

It would be nice if the Pali words had numbers next to them so we know which suttas are where. Many of us remember suttas via numbers or at least use them to help with navigation. SN’s sidebar does it nicely, but even there it would be nice to know that samyuttas 1-11 are in the Sagatha Vaggasamyutta:

1 Like

@Vimala, @sujato Thanks for all the work and the translations.

2 Likes

It’s a good point, and a bit of an experiment. PWA is really cutting edge, so everything is a learning process. We’ll monitor the servers and see how they perform. We do use cloudflare, so hopefully it will okay.

As a more long term idea, I am interested to see about hosting on IPFS.

Fair enough, we can definitely improve integration.

Works fine for me on Chrome and FF. Can you double check, and if it still persists, let me know your browser details?

Sure, this seems like a good idea. Getting the sidebar right was one of the hardest tasks we dealt with—it really is very complex! And there are still a number of unsolved issues. But I’m pretty happy with it overall.

2 Likes

I’m doing an airport run and thought while I’m in range I’d take a look and download the offline version for my phone. alas it doesn’t work on my iPhone 5s in Safari using iOS 10.3

My phone is a bit out of date by phone standards (aren’t most monastery types’?)

Anyway congratulations. I will jump on the library computer soon and check it out

2 Likes

We are blessed!!!

Practicing…

:anjal:

2 Likes

This from Mozilla.org:

1 Like

Exactly. That’s when it should become easier on FF. They expect to ship in May.

2 Likes

I didn’t even comprehend what a PWA was at first; I hadn’t even heard of IPFS before. Looks really cool.

Not only are “older” (with all due respect) people more tech savvy than me here, but monks and nuns nonetheless… What a time to be alive!

I tried downloading on an Android “phone” connected to wi-fi on a Google Fiber connection. Looks like it will take roughly… a kalpa. Then it looks like the connection reset.

Just trying to help out. Very excited to see the fruition of this project. Browsing around the new site with a smile on my face. Seriously, it’s beautiful.

4 Likes

:smile:
My dad is 86 and I have no clue about all the things he does with installing domotico systems around the house and all the satellite dishes and what not around! But I have not managed to get him to switch to Linux yet … working on it!

There have been a number of reports that it takes way too long. I have put it on the issue list for the developers on Monday.

5 Likes

I found the culprit: it’s the the smooth scrolling extension I’m using, Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller. Disabling it fixes the problem. If y’all have no inklings of an easy compatibility fix, let me know and I’ll contact the extension developer about it.

2 Likes

Excellent sleuthage! We’ll add that to the list of known bugs, but if you could let the developer know I’m sure they’ve be grateful.

2 Likes

I’ve just tested SC on chrome 58.0.3029 for iPhone and get nothing but a blank screen. Just like in Safari.
SC D&D works fine

1 Like

Just a point to mention. I just searched Tears to included in my past. I like being able to search by sutta as there are a number of my go to’s. What came up is Ajahn Thanissaro’s translation. I like his translation, but I’d prefer that Ajahn Sujato’s translations came up in the search queries. Is this something in the works? Or, is it just because the Sujato translations have not all been proof read?

Just curious.

What might also be cool is a drop down to choose translations from the actual Sutta page on the top left where it says Sujato here for example.

What might also be cool is a drop down to choose translations from the actual Sutta page on the top left where it says Sujato here for example. Could also have an option to change the default translation for each user. I know there isn’t sign ins for SC, but I wonder if this could be done with cookies or something.
Uploading…

And I’m dumb, I see you can switch from the little drop down arrow. Might good to have a drop down using the name at the top left as well. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Site loads okay in Safari on my iPhone 5s (iOS 11.2.2), as well as my iPad (11.0.2, also Chrome) and iPod (11.2.6). It’s a little slow to display, perhaps due to loading a mobile version. Might try upgrading iOS from 10.3. The 5s is indeed an older model now (though still one of the best Apple has produced, a classic like the PowerBook G3 FW); it may not run the upcoming iOS 12 (this fall) but runs iOS 11 just fine, so far as I can tell.

2 Likes

Subharo,

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Didn’t mean that I was intending to switch entirely from the Mac world (where I’ve been exclusively since I got my first computer, a Mac Plus, 30 years ago) to Linux. But I’ve been interested in Linux and the FOSS world for some time, lacking only time/energy to get into it.

And recent discovery of Bodhi charmed me with its name and leaf logo – what could be more perfect for a Dharma student than a little computer with a Bodhi leaf logo on it (and a Moksha desktop)? So I want to try it out on a 2004 ThinkPad a friend gave me (it’s a “lightweight” distro suitable for old computers – which is one of the things that intrigues me about Linux, as a way to resist the dominant throw-it-away culture) – then maybe on something newer.

bodhilinux

Of course Bodhi, like Mint, is essentially a fork of Ubuntu, which is itself built on Debian, so I’d expect the bug problem shouldn’t be a really big issue. Also the Bodhi team deliberately keeps to a measured upgrade pace (working off Ubuntu LTS releases), and the user community is also small, and patient. Then again, should the community grow – say by attracting a bunch of Dharma people – maybe there would be more participation in development, which I expect the team would welcome.

Otherwise, yes, I’d agree with your advice that for most people keeping to one of the more popular major distros would be best. And I plan in time to try out a number of them, including Ubuntu, Mint, Elementary, et al.

As for your Mom, yes, I have to agree the Mac world is probably best for her, though as Apple loses focus (too much success and money can do that to anybody), and the Mac continues to deteriorate, maybe Linux will become a better option for ordinary folk. Note that when her iMac is rendered “obsolete” by yet another buggy new MacOS version – whose fantastic !NEW! features are of no use to her – it’ll continue to work fine, with up-to-date security, with some popular Linux distro.

Anyway, my note about the WebKit-based Linux browsers was not meant as a recommendation to users (I’ve never used them, so have no opinion), but a suggestion for the site developers to track down the problem with Safari – since the same problem appears with iCab, which is also a WebKit browser, thus the problem might relate to WebKit rather than Safari specifically.

1 Like