What did the Buddha mean when saying Anurādha "didn't actually find a realized one (tathāgate) in the present life"?

Hmmm… an interesting discussion! It throws a light on an aspect of the Dhamma I had not as yet considered.

A summary of my thoughts, for what they are worth… :bouquet:

It is certainly true that both the Buddha as well as assorted other beings such as Mara and some Gods are described as being able to ‘see’ the citta of the unenlightened/ partially enlightened being, so much so that they can track that being into the next birth (MN25, SN 55.10, AN 7.56).

However, the Buddha and the fully enlightened Arahants cannot be ‘seen’ by Mara or the Gods when they meditate (AN11.9). They can also not be tracked once their aggregates break apart (SN4.23).

Why might that be? :nerd_face:

IMO, the key is in the way the Self is formed - it is a vortex of “I and mine” making… an active, conditioned phenomenon that takes as its object one or more of the 5 aggregates in the case of the completely unenlightened / various aspects of ‘fine material form’ or the ‘formless’ dimensions in the case of the partially enlightened (MN1).

This vortex is apparent only as long as the “I and mine” making is actively clinging to some aspect of the above objects of experience. Of course, being a conditioned phenomenon it has no Existence in and of itself… it arises and ceases in dependence on conditions. However, having come to be, it is an active agent (the doer/ observer). And, since it is uniquely identifiable by its characteristics (kamma), it can be tracked.

The Buddha and the fully enlightened Arahants have completely done away with “I and mine” making in such a way that it is unable to arise in future. Hence, even in this life the vortex does not appear and so they cannot be identified as such and nor do they make more kamma - they are trackless. When the aggregates break apart, there is no question of tracking what has permanently disappeared.

Looking forward to seeing how the discussion progresses… :slightly_smiling_face: :grin:

Hello @knigarian,

Thanks for the continued conversation! It is quite interesting and I suspect I might have an inkling for where we are either disagreeing or misunderstanding each other. I’m still unsure of which it is :wink: I’m pondering your reply and trying to formulate a response for further clarification, but in the meantime can you clarify this?

This bolded part is a quote by Ajahn Brahmavamso that you disagree with? You do not believe that arahants, enlightened monks and nuns, experience suffering? If that is so, then once again we are in agreement despite whatever our disagreement might be! :joy:

:pray:

The fuel of rebirth are volitional karmic formations that we usually identify as plans, intentions and tendencies. They can be bright, dark and mixed of nature (SN12.38)

It is not that Buddha teaches that asmi mana, the notion I am, the notion of a self or ego, is the cause of suffering and rebirth. The second noble truth of the cause of suffering is tanha, not asmi mana.

But the notion “I am” itself arises because of clinging (SN22.83). Not without. Mind is never always with clinging and therefor also not always with an ego notion. Also not the mind of a worldling.

But once arisen due to instinctive clinging , i believe, the ego notion, works like a katalyst. It only feeds and speeds up and intensefies the allready subconscious started clinging, attachment, distortion.

Even when unconscious there are still instincts that protect body and mind. This protectiveness is suited very deep.

Yes, but dialectic “do arahats experience suffering?” belongs to questions which have to be analized before answering.

Lord Buddha recognises three kinds of suffering: due to pain, due to impermanence of determinations (sankharas) and due to change. Since arahat, as a certain individual is exposed on physical pain question cannot be safely answer one-sidedly, but if we assume that arahat and asankhata dhatu are synonyms, talking about suffering due to change is contradiction in terms, arahats are also free from suffering due to impermanence of determinations:

But now you say, ‘If all things are characterized by dukkha…’ This needs careful qualification. In the first place, the universal dukkha you refer to here is obviously not the dukkha of rheumatism or a toothache, which is by no means universal. It is, rather, the sankhāra-dukkha (the unpleasure or suffering connected with determinations) of this Sutta passage:

There are, monk, three feelings stated by me: sukha feeling, dukkha feeling, neither-dukkha-nor-sukha feeling. These three feelings have been stated by me. But this, monk, has been stated by me: whatever is felt, that counts as dukkha. But that, monk, was said by me with reference just to the impermanence of determinations… (Vedanā Samy. 11: iv,216)

But what is this dukkha that is bound up with impermanence? It is the implicit taking as pleasantly-permanent (perhaps ‘eternal’ would be better) of what actually is impermanent. And things are implicitly taken as pleasantly-permanent (or eternal) when they are taken (in one way or another) as ‘I’ or ‘mine’ (since, as you rightly imply, ideas of subjectivity are associated with ideas of immortality). And the puthujjana takes all things in this way. So, for the puthujjana, all things are (sankhāra-)dukkha. How then—and this seems to be the crux of your argument—how then does the puthujjana see or know (or adjudge) that ‘all things are dukkha’ unless there is some background (or criterion or norm) of non-dukkha (i.e. of sukha) against which all things stand out as dukkha? The answer is quite simple: he does not see or know (or adjudge) that ‘all things are dukkha’. The puthujjana has no criterion or norm for making any such judgement, and so he does not make it.

The puthujjana’s experience is (sankhāra-)dukkha from top to bottom, and the consequence is that he has no way of knowing dukkha for himself; for however much he ‘steps back’ from himself in a reflexive effort he still takes dukkha with him. (I have discussed this question in terms of avijjā (‘nescience’) in A NOTE ON PATICCASAMUPPĀDA §§23 & 25, where I show that avijjā, which is dukkhe aññānam (‘non-knowledge of dukkha’), has a hierarchical structure and breeds only itself.) The whole point is that the puthujjana’s non-knowledge of dukkha is the dukkha that he has non-knowledge of;[a] and this dukkha that is at the same time non-knowledge of dukkha is the puthujjana’s (mistaken) acceptance of what seems to be a ‘self’ or ‘subject’ or ‘ego’ at its face value (as nicca/sukha/attā, ‘permanent/pleasant/self’).

And how, then, does knowledge of dukkha come about? How it is with a Buddha I can’t say (though it seems from the Suttas to be a matter of prodigiously intelligent trial-by-error over a long period); but in others it comes about by their hearing (as puthujjanas) the Buddha’s Teaching, which goes against their whole way of thinking. They accept out of trust (saddhā) this teaching of anicca/dukkha/anattā; and it is this that, being accepted, becomes the criterion or norm with reference to which they eventually come to see for themselves that all things are dukkha—for the puthujjana. But in seeing this they cease to be puthujjanas and, to the extent that they cease to be puthujjanas,[b] to that extent (sankhāra-)dukkha ceases, and to that extent also they have in all their experience a ‘built-in’ criterion or norm by reference to which they make further progress. (The sekha—no longer a puthujjana but not yet an arahat—has a kind of ‘double vision’, one part unregenerate, the other regenerate.) As soon as one becomes a sotāpanna one is possessed of aparapaccayā ñānam, or ‘knowledge that does not depend upon anyone else’: this knowledge is also said to be ‘not shared by puthujjanas’, and the man who has it has (except for accelerating his progress) no further need to hear the Teaching—in a sense he is (in part) that Teaching.

So far, then, from its being a Subject (immortal soul) that judges ‘all things are dukkha’ with reference to an objective sukha, it is only with subsidence of (ideas of) subjectivity that there appears an (objective) sukha with reference to which the judgement ‘all things are dukkha (for the commoner)’ becomes possible at all.

Does this sort you out?

Hello @knigarian,

In order to understand your viewpoint better can you clarify a couple things?

In the Anuradha sutta, preceding the question which we disagree about, several other questions were asked/answered. I wonder if we disagree about them as well? Explicitly:

“But if it’s impermanent, suffering, and perishable, is it fit to be regarded thus: ‘This is mine, I am this, this is my self’?”
SN 22.86

Do you think that the answer to this question changes if it is asked of an arahant versus a puthujjana? Because it seems to me you are saying that the 5 aggregates are fit to be labeled as the self of a puthujjana? You’re saying that a puthujjana would correctly and appropriately answer “I am this” to the question whether they are understood to be the body+mind, right?

It may not be considered Wrong View that for an Arhat or a Buddha to suffer, for example, such as, for an Arhat or a Buddha to take on another’s burden, or to lay one’s life down for someone else, or to teach by example even in suffering, it may not be a misnomer task for the Enlightened to sometimes suffer. This may be one of the biggest hurdles for Buddhists to cross. The Buddha may not suffer, but this may not be the case in every instance.

Suffering is a conditioned phenomena. It is not an intrinsic phenomena to any other phenomena. Most importantly, suffering - it seems to me - is conditioned on the mind labeling it as such. One who is freed from suffering no longer labels or experiences any other phenomena as suffering. Suffering in its most rudimentary form is simply the desire for things to be other than they are. One who is freed from suffering simply has no desire for things to be other than they are. NOTE: there is a big difference between desire and an altruistic wish. That’s my hypothesis at least, but what do I know. :pray:

Yes it’s important to hold the views that we are taught, especially in the Suttas. Thank you, Yeshe :slightly_smiling_face:.

I would formulate this in the following way: aggregates are what they are: impermanent, suffering and should be seen as “this is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self”.

So this is precisely how they should be seen. What I say, is this is precisely how they aren’t seen by the puthujjana, since they aren’t seen by him as pañc’upādānakkhandhā. Pañc’upādānakkhandhā is synonymous with the First Noble Truth, about which puthujjana is ignorant. Puthujjana doesn’t recognise pañc’upādānakkhandhā as pañc’upādānakkhandhā. So what I’m trying to communicate is not how aggregates should be seen, but how they are seen by the puthujjana. Pañc’upādānakkhandhā is synonymous with sakkaya -person- and it because not recognising Pañc’upādānakkhandhā as such, puthujjana sees them as person.

“Lady, ‘person’, person’ is said. What is called person by the Blessed One?”

“Friend Visākha, these five aggregates affected by clinging are called person by the Blessed One; that is, the material form aggregate affected by clinging, the feeling aggregate affected by clinging, the perception aggregate affected by clinging, the determinations aggregate affected by clinging, and the consciousness aggregate affected by clinging. These five aggregates affected by clinging are called person by the Blessed One.”

Saying, “Good, lady,” the lay follower Visākha delighted and rejoiced in the bhikkhunī Dhammadinnā’s words. Then he asked her a further question:

“Lady, ‘origin of person, origin of person’ is said. What is called the origin of identity by the Blessed One?”

“Friend Visākha, it is craving, which brings renewal of being, is accompanied by delight and lust, and delights in this and that; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for being, and craving for non-being. This is called the origin of person by the Blessed One.”4.

“Lady, ‘cessation of person, cessation of person’ is said. What is called the cessation of person by the Blessed One?”

“Friend Visākha, it is the remainderless fading away and ceasing, the giving up, relinquishing, letting go, and rejecting of that same craving. This is called the cessation of person by the Blessed One.”

”5. “Lady, ‘the way leading to the cessation of person , the way leading to the cessation of person ’ is said. What is called the way leading to the cessation of person by the Blessed One?”

“Friend Visākha, it is just this Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration.”.

“Lady, is that clinging the same as these five aggregates affected by clinging, or is the clinging something apart from the five aggregates affected by clinging?”

“Friend Visākha, that clinging is neither the same as these five aggregates affected by clinging nor is clinging something apart from the five aggregates affected by clinging. It is the desire and lust in regard to the five aggregates affected by clinging that is the clinging there.”

(PERSONALITY VIEW)

“Lady, how does personality view come to be?”

“Here, friend Visākha, an untaught ordinary person, who has no regard for noble ones and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, who has no regard for true men and is unskilled and undisciplined in their Dhamma, regards material form as self, or self as possessed of material form, or material form as in self, or self as in material form. He regards feeling as self, or self as possessed of feeling, or feeling as in self, or self as in feeling. He regards perception as self, or self as possessed of perception, or perception as in self, or self as in perception. He regards formations as self, or self as possessed of formations, or formations as in self, or self as in formations. He regards consciousness as self, or self as possessed of consciousness, or consciousness as in self, or self as in consciousness. That is how personality view comes to be.”

“Lady, how does personality view not come to be?”

“Here, friend Visākha, a well-taught noble disciple, who has regard for noble ones and is skilled and disciplined in their Dhamma, who has regard for true men and is skilled and disciplined in their Dhamma, does not regard material form as self, or self as possessed of material form, or material form as in self, or self as in material form. He does not regard feeling as self, or self as possessed of feeling, or feeling as in self, or self as in feeling. He does not regard perception as self, or self as possessed of perception, or perception as in self, or self as in perception. He does not regard determinations as self, or self as possessed of determinations, or determinations as in self, or self as in determinations. He does not regard consciousness as self, or self as possessed of consciousness, or consciousness as in self, or self as in consciousness. That is how personality view does not come to be.” MN 44

So I believe inability to understand my position is coming from your emphasis how puthujjana should seen pañc’upādānakkhandhā.

But we are discussing the difference between puthujjana and arahat, so my description is how puthujjana sees pañc’upādānakkhandhā. And what I’m saying is that he doesn’t see them at all. Where sotapanna sees pañc’upādānakkhandhā as such, or in the terms of dependent arising he sees person as dependently arisen on the present condition:

And how do those with vision see? Here a bhikkhu sees whatever has come to being as come to being. By seeing it thus he has entered upon the way to dispassion for it, to the fading and ceasing of lust for it. That is how one with vision sees.”

or in other terms sotapanna has a direct knowledge that nibbana is cessation of being;

puthujjana takes himself to be person, or -if you wish - takes his being for granted, and without knowledge that nibbana is the cessation of being here and now he is enslaved in the dialectic “to be or not to be” not understanding that such dialectic is only possible in the presence of ignorance:

“Bhikkhus, there are two kinds of (wrong) view, and when deities and human beings are in their grip, some hang back and some overreach; it is only those with vision that see. How do some hang back? Deities and human beings love being, delight in being, enjoy being; when the Dhamma is expounded to them for the ending of being, their hearts do not go out to it or acquire confidence, steadiness and decision. So some hang back. And how do some overreach? Some are ashamed, humiliated and disgusted by that same being, and they look forward to non-being in this way: ‘Sirs, when with the dissolution of the body this self is cut off, annihilated and accordingly after death no longer is, that is the most peaceful, that is the goal superior to all, that is reality.’ So some overreach. Itv 49

Summarise, how it is helpful, that I don’t know, but I hope you are able to see my inner consistency. Being is the state of puthujjana and this is why I insisted that puthujjana has an ontological status. But in Buddha’s treatment of ontology, being as a member of dependent arising, ultimately depends on ignorance. That is why nibbana is the cessation of being now and here. But you cannot confuse arahat and puthujjana, so while arahat is not to be found even now and here, this is precisely not the case of puthujjana.

We can say that in order to transform his experience to that of Tathagata, puthujjana has to commit mental suicide. But he cannot since he doesn’t see that his very being is the state of dukkha. Why, because where sotapanna sees pañc’upādānakkhandhā, he sees himself, someone, self. And it is because not seeing one’s own upadana, his experience in Suttas is described as pañc’upādānakkhandhā.

To exist is to be condemned to freedom and to be free for condemnation.

And while existence (bhava) is undermined by ignorance, without recognising ignorance as ignorance, here is nice description of puthujjana’s existential situation:

To be damned is to go on as I am, as long as I am damned.

Hello @knigarian,

Ah, but this brings us back to what it seems now was a correct diagnosis to our disagreement?

The answer to the question:

What do you think, Anuradha, do you regard form, feeling, perception, volitional formations, and consciousness taken together as the puthujjana ?
Amended from SN 22.86

Should be an emphatic NO, but I agree that a puthujjana would not necessarily answer this way. They would likely answer YES. Why? Because they regard their body+mind as, “I am this.”

Of course, it is possible to answer NO intellectually to the question and still not directly see the fallacy of regarding the body+mind as a self. In fact, that is entirely likely and vastly probably because the alternative is that a puthujjana correctly understands the fallacy of “I” intellectually at the exact same moment that they see it with non-logical non-conceptual direct insight.

Just merely answering a question the right way doesn’t suddenly bestow enlightenment. However, for a puthujjana to accomplish the soteriological goal of the dhamma they must directly see and understand that they are not a body+mind. Both conceptually/intellectually and even more so with direct non-conceptual insight. That the body+mind is not fit for “I” making and is not to be regarded as a self.

In the end, I think our disagreement must have all been a misunderstanding due to my own ineloquence.

I cannot really judge this. For me, as it is now, pain is suffering, for example. At this moment i have some knee problem, pain. Tilopa said to Naropa…Naropa you are not bound by what you experience but by what you hold on to. I tend to agree with this but i can also notice i am bound to the pain and desire it is gone, do not want to feel it. I think that as long we wish something for ourselves, no suffering, that also remains. It is not easy to think about, regard, let alone experience, a painful feeling as not inherent suffering.

But if the mind is really detached from any vedana, does it still feel the same way we do? Is pain still pain as we experience pain? Maha Boowa digged deep into the pains he had:

Although the bodily pain was obviously very strong, I could see that the citta was calm and unafflicted. No matter how much discomfort the body suffered, the citta was not distressed or agitated. This intrigued me. Normally the kilesas join forces with pain, and this alliance causes the citta to be disturbed by the body’s suffering. This prompted wisdom to probe into the nature of the body, the nature of pain and the nature of the citta until all three were perceived clearly as separate realities, each true in its own natural sphere.
I saw clearly that it was the citta that defined feeling as being painful and unpleasant. Otherwise, pain was merely a natural phenomenon that occurred. It was not an integral part of the body, nor was it intrinsic to the citta. As soon as this principle became absolutely clear, the pain vanished in an instant. At that moment, the body was simply the body—a separate reality on its own. Pain was simply feeling, and in a flash that feeling vanished straight into the citta. As soon as the pain vanished into the citta, the citta knew that the pain had disappeared. It just vanished without a trace”.
(arahattamagga-arahattaphala, page 20/21

This does not really align, i think, with the sutta’s, because these seem to teach that there are three kinds of feelings, painful, pleasant and neutral…but here Maha Boowa saw that it was the citta which defines the feeling as painful and pleasant. So, he seems to say…it is a judgement of the citta, not something existential (ontological??)

It is not easy to see what the citta really is, or minds nature, because all these kilesa’s always mix up and distort things. That is my feeling with this.

Suffering is certainly a conditioned phenomena.

Can someone clarify if all suffering is a conditioned phenomena? And how and if, can the unconditioned be affected by the conditioned?

I agree it is hard and rather uncommon for sentient beings not to desire to be rid of pain. It is hard and uncommon for sentient beings not to desire for painful experiences to cease. However, if we examine pain carefully we can find that it has no core or essence. The most common underlying characteristic of pain is the desire to be rid of it, but not all people have such desire in all cases. There is nothing inherent to pain.

This is why it is possible some to even manage to mix up pleasure and pain in a complex way that cannot be so easily disambiguated. A common if rather benign example is the eating of extremely spicy food. Some people enjoy experiencing what others shun as painful and desire for it to continue. Actually, if one looks around and opens their eyes it becomes rather easy to find people literally running after pain. Marathon runners, hot yoga, tattoo piercings, extreme sports and exercise, rollercoasters, horror movies, there are quite a few examples; some quite colorful :joy:

In the end, pain is a conditioned phenomena that is dependent upon the mind labeling it as such. Much like the liquid discussed earlier, different beings will have different experiences based on khamma.

When something is pleasant we generally desire for it to continue being pleasant even when that is not possible. When something is painful or unpleasant we generally desire for it to cease being painful or unpleasant even when that is not possible. Dependent upon the desire for things to be other than they are, suffering arises.

See if this isn’t the case in your own life. Isn’t suffering commensurate with and the result of the desire for things to be otherwise than they are? Now imagine you were rid of this desire. Perfectly at peace and calm with the world exactly as it is with not a drop of desire for it to be anything other than it is. Would suffering arise? Could you be said to be suffering?

Pain all by itself, alone, without a partner, does not certainly/necessarily cease.

With this I disagree. It is simple impossible for action to be directed towards pain. Aim of all actions are either escape from pain, or receiving pleasure. Some say that there is no rule without exception. If this is so, pain/pleasure rule is such exception, since is inescapable without single exception from it.

So with the extreme sports and the like, while indeed such actions involve certain amount of pain, you can be sure that pleasure received from such activities is evaluated much higher than amount of pain. Even masochist in fact pursues pleasure, of course in his own specific way. But while rule sounds simple, particular cases of it application aren’t. We can see for example that people don’t try to escape from unpleasant situations despite the fact they really recognise it as unpleasant. We may not be sure why it is so apart that such behaviour most certainly still is guided by pain/pleasure principle. Quite likely while situation is recognised as unpleasant, it is still bearable, and so gives certain amount of security, while any attempts to change it, may result in worsening of it. So fear of potential pain is stronger than present amount of discomfort.

And since the principle is so fundamental, it is based on this principle Lord Buddha based his Teaching.

He doesn’t teach us that we should give up our desire to escape from pain, and our pursuit of happiness. This simply cannot be done, sentient beings are bound to do so.

Lord Buddha says: you want to escape from suffering, you want to be happy, that’s fine. Unfortunately the only reliable and permanent escape from suffering is via the Four Noble Truths.

So while your pursuit of happiness is quite reasonable and justified, you must redefine your ideas about what is suffering and what is cessation of suffering, so your ideas of suffering will be in conformity with the Four Noble Truths. This is what Lord Buddha says [or at least this is how I understand the Teaching]:smirk: Some good people think I am unwise, because I don’t want to endure negative mental states and accuse me of aversion towards greed, hate and delusion. But I am rather simple-minded and can’t grasp such idea, why to endure things which according to Dhamma standard are recognised as painful? The main problem is to really see that greed, hate and delusion are suffering. And even on existential level, we have aversion to so many things, so just to direct aversion towards aversion, while logically indeed rather doubtful, in existential terms it could be translated as putting aversion on self-destructive path​:slightly_smiling_face:

So in fact The Four Noble Truths are existential communication between Lord Buddha and puthujjana who receive certain task to perform:

Dr. Jayatilleke, in the second essay, represents logic. This is evident from the way he turns the Four Noble Truths into propositions, or statements of fact. That they are not facts but things (of a particular kind) can be seen from the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta (Vinaya Mahāvagga I: Vin. i,10; Sacca Samy. 11: v,421-24), where dukkha is pariññeyya, ‘to be known absolutely’, samudaya is pahātabba, ‘to be abandoned’, nirodha is sacchikātabba, ‘to be realized’, and magga, the fourth Truth, is bhāvetabba, ‘to be developed’. A fact, however, is just a fact, and one cannot do anything to it, since as such it has no significance beyond itself (it does not imply any other fact not contained in itself)—it just is (and even whether it is is doubtful).

But things are significant; that is to say, they are imperatives, they call for action (like the bottle in Alice in Wonderland labelled ‘Drink Me!’). Heidegger, and Sartre after him, describe the world as a world of tasks to be performed, and say that a man at every moment of his life is engaged in performing tasks (whether he specifically pays attention to them or not). Seen in this light the Four Noble Truths are the ultimate tasks for a man’s performance—Suffering commands ‘Know me absolutely!’, Arising commands ‘Abandon me!’, Cessation commands ‘Realize me!’, and the Path commands ‘Develop me!’.

But by transforming things into facts (and the Four Noble Truths, which are descriptions of things, into propositions) I automatically transform myself into logic—that is to say, I destroy my situation as an existing individual engaged in performing tasks in the world, I cease to be in concreto (in Kierkegaard’s terminology) and become sub specie aeterni. (By regarding the Four Noble Truths as propositions, not as instructions, I automatically exempt myself from doing anything about them.) The world (if it can still be called a world) becomes a logician’s world—quite static and totally uninhabited.

Nanavira Thera

As i see it, this is also the message of Maha Boowa. From his own experience of deep penetration of pain, body and mind.

I cannot say i know this. I do not see that my mind lables a feeling as painful. I cannot really help, at this moment, to experience it like this that there are really painful sense contacts and pleasant, and that it is not my judgement, or minds judgement, but the nature of these sense contacts. But i also am open to the idea this is the ordinairy perception of a defiled mind who mixes up body, feeling, mind, like Maha Boowa’s seems to say.

I am a bit trapped in that idea that @Jasudho also embraces. The idea that there are two arrows. The first is just the nature of the initial sense contact. That can be painful, pleasant and neutral. Jasudho believes we cannot escape this. He believes this is also still for the Buddha’s and arahant of this world.
I question that, but i cannot denie that when i put my hand in a fire, the burning hurts. Or, if it is very cold, that skin contact is unpleasant. Or, when i have sunburn that is painful. Dukkha vedana. That is the first arrow.

Then there is the second arrow, the second level of unpleasant feelings (domannassa vedana). They arise due to irritation, repulsion, not wanting that unpleasant feeling. This makes mind narrow, irritated, negative, dark and also that comes with feelings. If they are unpleasant these are called domanassa vedana’s.

Most people i know see it this way that the arahant and Buddha has still dukkha vedana’s but not domanassa.

I question this, i believe there is an escape.

I have some feeling for the idea that for the liberated mind this applies:
“They experience three kinds of contact: emptiness, signless, and undirected contacts.” (MN44)

This mind does not engage with the senses. Ours does. And that is why i believe we cannot compare our situation of feeling pain with how a liberated mind might feel this.

Can we really say…an arahant of Buddha has still dukkha vedana?

But i am not sure about this. My gut-feeling ehum, says, it is possible that when the mind does not engage with senses, and is detached from vinnana 's and vedana’s, that it experiences only the above three kinds of contacts.

I think we might make wrong judgments if we think we can compare how we feel pain and pleasure and a liberated mind does that is detached from vinnana’s and vedana’s.

Can we really understand that mind does not h a v e pain but still know there is pain?

The lifes of the Bodhisattva bear wittness of deeds of pure altruism. No concern about personal pleasure and pain. Humans can do such deeds. I think animals too.

Buddha’s teaching are based upon the realisation that all beings cannot find peace in their hearts. They are on fire. There is a dart in their heart. Because we cannot really feel at ease, we seek externally for happiness and run in all directions to find some peace of heart. Not different from junks. While they cannot find any ease in themselves anymore, they seek it in drugs, but meanwhile they only make their situation more worse. We are exactly like them. This is samsara’s vicious circle. Seeking happiness but meanwhile defiling ourselves even more and even becoming more uneaseful.

Also, the stimules most become greater and greater. Stronger drugs, extremer sex, extremer this and that because all this rewarding feelings decrease. In that sense, one also tends to become immoral.
It is strange that while we seek rewarding feeling, we are punished. It is amazing, i feel, how easy it is to become victem of this downward Path.

I agree with Buddha: seeking externally for happiness, grasping this and that to become happy for some time, exactly that keeps us in a vicious circle in which all beings in samsara are trapped.

But he teaches that seeking for happiness in constructed states of mind is also not the solution.

All happiness is temporary and liable to cease…except that which is not constructed.

Not quite. From a physical standpoint, there is a reflexive movement away from a painful stimulus in humans and many other animals. This occurs without involvement of any thought or labels.
In fact, from a physical standpoint, the. brain is not involved at all.
The reaction/reflex consists of an afferent input to the spinal cord from the hand and a rapid efferent output back to the hand, for example, to remove it from a painful stimulus. Thats’ it.

Beyond physiology, this points to pain being dukkha, in and of itself independent of labels and notions.

I believe it for the reasons above, as well as teachings in other suttas that have been cited, and because it’s what the Buddha directly taught in SN36.6:

“In the same way, when a learned noble disciple experiences painful physical feelings they don’t sorrow or wail or lament, beating their breast and falling into confusion. They experience one feeling: physical, not mental.”

Here, the noble disciple is not affixing labels to pain, but just experiencing: pain – a form of dukkha, unless one believes there will still be experiences of pain after parinibbāna.
And why would one have to train not to resist or lament physical pain if pain itself wasn’t dukkha?

Further,
"When they’re touched by painful feeling, they don’t resist it.
Tassāyeva kho pana dukkhāya vedanāya phuṭṭho samāno paṭighavā na hoti.
There’s no underlying tendency for repulsion towards painful feeling underlying that.
Tamenaṁ dukkhāya vedanāya appaṭighavantaṁ, yo dukkhāya vedanāya paṭighānusayo, so nānuseti.

The sutta explicitly states that pain in and of itself is a form of dukkha.

What a wonderful discussion that has broken out! All this respectful disagreement and agreement and honest discourse trying to understand each other and learn something! This site continues to be a blessing :joy: :pray:

Yes, but this also is from the perspecitve of how normal human body and mind functions . But i have heard stories this can be different with teachers who mastered body and mind. From a normal perspective is it is also absurd that one can fly, double the body, dive into Earth etc. but such things are still described.

Yes, i feel this needs interpretation because what is a physical feeling? All feelings are mental and accompony the vinnana. Physical feelings are, i believe, the vedana’s that accompony the tactile vinnana. But they are still mental moments. Body does not know pain. But mind. What does it mean to be detached from also this tactile painful feelings? Are you really sure you know this? Can you really compare how we feel pain and a detached mind?