What happens in Thig 2.3?

Not saying that this is what the text means, but I could also imagine the horribleness of her acute economic marginalisation as a working class/bahujana woman within the Indian joint family system (in which she can never be a coparcener), whose life job/unpaid labour is literally to pick up sticks for her rather uninspiring husband from morning to evening, to make sun shades among other things (chattādīnaṃ).

Every time I see weaving or other women’s work in the texts…I feel a little saṃvega, because the women themselves wouldn’t have typically owned the loom or tools. Taking gender and class into account, I could understand if she was unhappy with her economic and social condition.

P.S. the pārivāsika in cirapārivāsikabhāvena is from parivāseti, pari+vāseti, with pp parivāsita, i.e. “cured” (to cure something by means of soaking up a scent). Her pot smells like water snake due to having soaked up scents for a long time.

jarāvaho is jarā+avaha, bringing ruin or a fall i.e. like jīrati (=vināseti) i.e. to bring to ruin, meagreness, impoverishment, badness.

Jarā as “destruction” is a different “colour” of the term jarā meaning old age or decay. Here, jarāvaho is a synonym for “bad” clarifying ahitako.

Her odour (vāto) was wretched (ahitako) and mean (jarāvaho).

She had a bad, crummy smell.

4 Likes