What versions of Saṃyukta Āgama suttacentral has?

I’m asking because I have noticed things are added if English translation are found? If I find something I can share and it’s tried to be added? If it’s legal etc?

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking, but the Chinese text is from CBETA’s edited version of the Taisho Daizokyo edition of the Samyukta Agama (Taisho No. 99). The only thing CBETA added is modern punctuation and a few corrections here and there that are clear typos.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m not sure if it’s same version as this one. It seems. But this websites has more of sutras.

samyukta-agama

It’s said Volume 2 of 99

1 Like

Yes, he was translating the Chinese Taisho version. He only translated a few selections, then apparently abandoned it. That website was hosting the Pierquet translations, I believe, which are also on SuttaCentral, although now that I compare them, it looks like they are slight different versions of his English translation.

1 Like

I believe suttacentral just the parallels with Pali. I didn’t find most of those on the website. Do you happen to know some that has the whole t99 is translated? I don’t think it’s done yet right?

1 Like

No, most of the Chinese Agamas haven’t been translated to English. Just selections that different people have done to compare against Pali, as you’ve noticed.

Bhikkhu Analayo translated a good portion of the Samyukta, about 7 out of 50 scrolls of Chinese, but that’s the only major project that’s been published in English that I know of. His translations are here on SuttaCentral.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. :pray:t4:

2 Likes

If you find an EBT text that you think would be good to share, then please notify us here in this post, with a link etc. The people in charge of adding texts to the site will then consider it. Thanks for your intentions and efforts. But please remember to keep to EBT texts :pray:

For a clearer definition of what this entails, you can refer to Bhante Sujatos introduction on the SC site here

https://suttacentral.net/introduction

I include this so that all who are interested can read it :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m still confused sometimes. Because Asoka mentioned in Bharhut agama version names. As if he knew some Agamas first. And Nikāyas was translated between 100 BCE to 1 CE

But the thing is Sri Lanka had such history that you can not know if things was changed after by influence of the king choosing the other Vihāra over Mahavihara. Imagine until @ 11 CE Mahayana Buddhism was still practiced by the popular Vihara. And we have the problem of not having manuscript early enough. I know things are comparable with founded early Ghandhara text but it seems as if they closer to Chinese . So that everyone had their own transmission translated. So where are we in early Buddhism? That kind of confusion. I know it doesn’t matter now. Practice and meaning is more important. But yikes. Not easy getting earliest stuff I guess. For example in the Vimuttimagga which was created probably in Sri Lanka Mahayana-Theravada there is verse say about are predecessor recommends counting breath. That is likely. Sarvāstivāda Yogacara school. They constantly recommended that. And then it makes you think yikes what if this was made in Mahāvihāra then they are saying that their tradition and transmission came after. It like Nikaya or agama. Then here and there it feels as if the idea of past present future Buddha was created by Sarvāstivāda since they discuss a lot about that. That accepting that the 3 Buddhas happens is accepting the 3 times. Like Bhikkhu Bodhi said the idea of Buddhas is later Buddhism. So Agamas has it. Nikayas has it. So who is early. Just saying :man_shrugging:

Please respect the definitions we use for EBT’s. This is what determines the focus of this website.

If you want to present a case for why that is wrong, and as I have said before, you have to do quite a lot of research to set out detailed arguments about why the definitions Ajahn @sujato uses are wrong.

metta :slight_smile:

1 Like