Wrong views due the khandhas being impermanent, unsatisfactory and not-self

Here are some parallels translated by ChatGPT3.5 of the MN2 passage you qoute;

Such thoughts give rise to inauspicious ideas, and one entertains the views of the six types of existence. The view of self arises in opposition to the view of no self; the view of no self arises in opposition to the view of self. Within these, the view that there is a self and the view that there is no self arise, leading to doubt. Then, the person turns to observe the body, and the views of self and no self arise again. The person contemplates themselves but does not see themselves, and these views arise. At that time, the person once again develops the wrong view: ‘I exist in the present and will continue to exist in the future, perpetually enduring in the world without decay, change, or movement.’

EA40.6

Engaging in such wrong contemplation, they generate views within the six types of existence. Depending on their views, they think, ‘There truly are gods.’ ‘There truly are no gods.’ ‘Gods perceive gods.’ ‘Gods perceive non-gods.’ ‘Non-gods perceive gods.’ ‘This god is capable of speech, knowledge, creation, teaching, initiation, and giving instruction. Beings are born in various realms and receive good or bad karmic results.’ ‘There is an ultimate source.’ ‘There is no origin.’ ‘There should be no origin.’"

MA10

Due to not engaging in such foundational contemplations, doubts arise, leading to various misconceptions. They question: ‘Does the self exist? Does the self not exist? Is this body mine? Is this body not mine?’ This doubt generates self-views and views about the nature of existence. They question: ‘Where did I come from? Where will I go? What will happen to me?’ Such questioning creates doubt about the self, leading to the perception of a self and the arising of different views about the self.

In this way, doubt gives rise to various misconceptions and views. Is there a self in the past? Is there no self in the past? This doubt about the past creates a sense of self, a perception of a past self. Similarly, doubt about the future creates a sense of self, a perception of a future self. Doubt about the present creates a sense of self, a perception of a present self. These doubts about self and existence lead to misconceptions, and one perceives actions, both good and bad, everywhere, resulting in the continuous cycle of birth and suffering."

T31

also @Dhabba you may be interested in my thread on anatta here;

Although I have since modified my views somewhat after learning a bit more about chinese from the ever helpful @cdpatton

Basically I think we have the same suspicion that some ways of interpreting anatta, aggregates and cessation can amount to annihilationism by another name and are therefore not the dhamma of the buddha, but I have struggled to convince anyone on this board of this idea for more than a year now and watched several contributors who I admire and share a perspective with post less and less frequently and eventually disappear completely because of the frustration this can cause.

Religious views can be very tightly held :slight_smile: even amongst buddhists, and I would caution you to learn from my mistakes and not allow yourself to be dragged into an endless attempt to convince people who will simply not ever agree with you.

Much Metta.

2 Likes