16 APS (ānā-pānā-s-sati) perspective of Ajahn Brahm and Ajahn Brahmali

Continuing the discussion from EBTs which indicate the experience of the body disappears while meditating?:

B. @Brahmali wrote:

There is really no need for you to reply to my post. Whether kāya refers to the breath or the body in the third step of the Ānāpānasati Sutta is a relatively minor matter, which is unlikely to make much difference to anyone’s practice. I know people on both sides of this divide who have had success with mindfulness of breathing. I would suggest letting it be. If you do reply, I am unlikely to respond. I want to avoid spending so much time on matters of little practical importance.

What is important is the nature of the jhānas . I hope to get back to this later, but I can make no promise when that will be.

If how one practices 16 APS (anapana) is unimportant, then you won’t mind changing your translation of kāya to be consistent with how you translate kāya for other kāya-anupassana exercises?

If jhāna is important, and as far as I know I’ve only seen Ajahn Brahm’s published works using anapana as the method to get into jhana, then doesn’t that make 16 APS important as well?

In any case, I appreciate that you took the time to share your perspective, and I will respond in detail to your post. You’ve presented your case, I will present mine, there is no need for you to respond, and people can decide for themselves what makes more sense.