A Literal Translation of Bala Sutta (AN6.72)

Bhikkhus, a bhikkhu possessed of six things is unable to gain strength in composure. Which six?

Here, a bhikkhu is not good at attainment of composure, not good at steadying of composure, not good at rousing of composure, one who acts disrespectfully, one who acts impersistently, and one who acts inappropriately.

A bhikkhu possessed of these six things is unable to gain strength in composure.

Bhikkhus, a bhikkhu possessed of six things is able to gain strength in composure. Which six?

Here, a bhikkhu is good at attainment of composure, good at steadying of composure, good at rousing of composure, one who acts respectfully, one who acts persistently, and one who acts appropriately.

A bhikkhu possessed of these six things is able to gain strength in composure.

1 Like

Hmm well, thanks to your prod I did look up the sutta and I must say ā€œvuį¹­į¹­hānaā€ has an interesting connotation: ā€œmoving beyondā€ :thinking: So, perhaps, in the sense of not getting attached to meditation experiences? Or perhaps skilled at making the transition from samatha to vipassanā? :thinking: Certainly does shake loose the phrase from its commentarial glossā€¦

May I know how you arrived at that?

Oh, I simply looked up the word in the DPD.

It points out such usages as ā€œā€¦Äpattiyā vuį¹­į¹­hānaį¹ paƱƱāyatiā€ (ā€œā€¦offenses for which rehabilitation is possibleā€ ~ SN 20.10 and MN 48)

:pray:

1 Like

I see. In any case, it wouldnā€™t make sense to say ā€œrehabilitation of samādhiā€ or ā€œgoing beyond of samādhiā€. IMO, ā€œrehabilitationā€ is more than a translation for vuį¹­į¹­hāna. Itā€™s an interpretation. I try hard to avoid doing this in my translations.

1 Like

I really like the fact that you try to translate without biasing your translations with intellectual speculations, thank you.

1 Like

Should it not be ā€œrousing from composureā€?

2 Likes

Perhaps ā€œarousing composureā€ ?

Thatā€™s not what it means: it means ā€œcoming out of samadhiā€.

1 Like

I havenā€™t looked at the Pali, but ā€œ good at rousing of composureā€ would seem to mean good at composing oneā€™s self.

1 Like

ā€œna samādhissa vuį¹­į¹­hānakusalo hotiā€œ
Looking at the Pali, I see this phrase means, ā€˜is not skilled at arising from/ emerging out of samadhiā€™.

Perhaps an example of Wijesekeraā€™s ā€˜ablative-like genitive.ā€™

1 Like

No, because itā€™s ā€œsamādhissaā€.

1 Like

This is the genitive functioning in an ablative-like way.

The abl.-like gen . (SS Ā§125) occurs with certain verbs where some notion of separation or distance or some such ablatival function seems to be implied. We have already referred to the gen. used with local adverbs such as dakkhiį¹‡ato , uttarena and sammukhā denoting the point from which distance or direction is reckoned (Ā§130) and the gen. of origin employed instead of the corresponding abl. with the verb pahoti (Ā§145). As Speyer points out (SS Ā§125) the gen. is admissible in such instances when there is at the same time room for the conception of belonging to (being part of) and that of proceeding from.

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Textual-Studies/Syntax-of-the-Cases/06-Genitive.htm#toc14

1 Like

Thatā€™s an assumption.

1 Like

It really isnā€™t. There are multiple passages in the suttas that show what this means, as well as the narrative context of the sutta in question, as well as the unified testimony of the commentarial tradition, as well as the unified testimony of modern translators. It is not a difficult or controversial passage.

3 Likes

Itā€™s natural to want the purest, most untainted version of the dhamma, and thatā€™s a large part of what this chat board is about.

But sometimes, as Sigmund Freud apparently never said, ā€˜a cigar is just a cigar.ā€™

Please share an example.

1 Like

https://find.dhamma.gift/
Perhaps youā€™re already familiar with this website, Bhante? By entering a Pali word or phrase, you can find a list of suttas containing that word or phrase.

2 Likes

Yes, the genitive here is probably just an ordinary genitive.