Audtip.org KN Snp: English, V.Than., PL Passed :)

PLed 4.1 to 4.3. Spotted no issues with 4.1 and 4.2. Perhaps one issue with a pause in 4.3 at around 1:57. The text concerned is “that’s why a person embraces or rejects a doctrine – in light of these very entrenchments. Now, one who is …”. There’s a slightly long pause at the dash punctuation mark. That wouldn’t normally be a problem except that the pause, shortly after, at the full stop (or “period” in US parlance :slight_smile: ) is somewhat shorter, which might possibly lead a listener to conclude that “in light of these very entrenchments” is attached to the following sentence.

2 Likes

Hi Frank,

I was trying to find some information about audtip.dx.am but there is no information on the website… (which is good in a way, I appreciate the ‘Google’-style straight-to-the-point websites - the legacy SC website was a bit like that actually!)

Anyway, do you know who is behind this initiative, the history of the project and their goals and ways of working?

Keep up the good work with these recordings, this is very valuable :anjal:

1 Like

There’s a little bit of info here in the old googlesites page.
https://sites.google.com/a/audtip.org/obsolete/home

(that site is obsolete, don’t bookmark and use it regularly - i haven’t deleted it yet because there’s still some audio I need to migrate)

I stopped using googlesites because it’s time consuming to use the WYSIWYG interface to layout and content of the website. It doesn’t give you ftp access to just upload simple html code. So instead I have audtip.org redirect to a freehosting website with no ads (awardspace.com). They do give ftp access, and so I can make super simple html code website that’s simple and direct.

I’m hoping eventually suttacentral will include audio links that go with the sutta text links.

If anyone is interested in voice recording suttas, please do! I’d love it if someone can complete the MN collection for me. There’s about 30 suttas left to do (out of 152). It would be great if we can get some female voices to do the Therigatha.

3 Likes

So you are the creator of the website and initiative?
And the following people in the list are contributors to the project?

I recall that Bhante Sujato has a plan to have his new translations recorded and hosted on SuttaCentral. It would be nice indeed if there could be a link to other recordings such as yours at audtip (similar to the various translations for the texts). Do you have some news on that front?

Indeed.

Thanks for the information!

1 Like

PLed 4.10 to 4.12

4.10 Pass - All good!
4.11 Pass? - Slightly long pause at 2:15 after 'perplexity:'
4.12 Fail - Just one thing at 2:52, ‘depending’ instead of ‘dependent’, which changes the meaning of the sentence

2 Likes

Nope. All I heard was probably from the same SCDD post you saw, that SC had some agreement with people to do professional recordings of all of Bhante @Sujato’s translations, but it wouldn’t be soon.

All of the audtip.org recordings are licensed creative commons with free non-commercial redistribution, so SC is free to link to them if they wish, and I hope that they do. All the audio files themselves are hosted on archive.org so I would expect the links to them would never go stale.

Whereas audtip.org, if it can be made redundant by SC or anyone else, I’d be happy to retire that website.

Audtip = audio tales in pali.

Originally, it was short for audio tipitaka, but after I learned a little bit more about Abhidhamma pitaka, it occurred to me it’s really strange that it’s designated as if it’s on the same level or hierarchy with the 2 other pitakas (Dhamma & Vinaya).

I hope that the entire body of Suttas and Vinaya gets audio recorded without any participation from me, but as long as it hasn’t happened yet, I’ll continue to audio record whatever sections that interest me, and not already have existing recordings that are reasonably usable and free.

3 Likes

4.4 to 4.6 all grand with no issues that I could see.

2 Likes

I just had a chat with David from https://www.paliaudio.com/

Have you checked out their site? They are doing a nice job!

I have made a more detailed proposal for audio on SC here:

So far, only considering audio on-site, based on existing sources such as audtip and paliaudio.

4 Likes

Ah… I was wondering!

Great to hear this, thank you Bhante :anjal:

Yes, it’s a nice site and I’m glad others are recording suttas. Can we get David in a discussion on SCDD? It would be really good to standardize on segmenting, especially for long suttas in DN and MN.

For some suttas, I’ve already exported on archive.org a timing text file, that maps a time in seconds, with a subsection title. HTML5 has built in support to play audio starting from a time (in seconds), so if we can rely an the SC line numbers I can export these timing text files with an SC#linenum preceding the section title. Sometime in the next few weeks I’ll make a sample of html sutta text with audio player to jump to all the sections from the timing text file.

3 Likes

I would like to recommend all those recording sutras to work together and avoid double work! :slight_smile:
Is there a good reason for that not to be the case?
:anjal:

1 Like

He’s posting here under @Paliaudio.com.

This is great, and I would love to pursue it. But for the initial implementation on SC I would like to focus on just getting the suttas there. One step at a time! None of us have any real experience with audio, and when you start dealing with segments things get much more complicated. Nevertheless, as a long term goal, great!

Well, I think the main thing is that the files are freely available. There are different approaches to implementation, and over time these will evolve. It’s not a bad thing to try different ways. Both the sites use a very simple implementation of the actual website itself, so there is no great drama in duplicating this, or using the resources elsewhere. I did recommend to David that they back up their files on archive .org, which I think has a much better chance of lasting than Dropbox (I don’t really trust Dropbox for long term storage).

In the long term, I don’t really think a website is the best place for audio. The interface should be audio, and you should be able to say, “Computer, read me the Kalama Sutta”. Anyone want to make that happen?

2 Likes

I have a Google home mini and believe that it is just a matter of time before I can ask it to do this - either by default or via an app!

fixed 4.12, by cutting and pasting “dependent” from previous sentence. However, the result is it slurs slightly, it’s not a perfect splice. But probably better than inserting a new recorded sentence that doesn’t match audio around it. uploaded and changed to PASS :slight_smile:

i listened to 4.11 at the spot you marked (without reading the text), reading free verse has a strange cadence anyway, do you think the long pause changes the meaning? If not lets pass it.

1 Like

We would be delighted to work with others to record the suttas and avoid duplication.
One of the issues I wanted to address with our recordings was how elisions were dealt with, our policy is to generally include full expansion of elisions when they relate to teaching points.

2 Likes

I don’t think it changes the meaning.

1 Like

I’ll create another thread to tackle the issues related to making audio suttas and integrating with SC

1 Like

4.7 to 4.9 all good.

2 Likes

4 new suttas uploaded for PL

snp3-01-goingforth.mp3
snp3-02-exertion-live-or-Live-near-2min.mp3 -
snp3-03-wellspoken.mp3
snp3-04-sundarikabharadvaja.mp3

I need help on 3.2, can’t figure out if Ven. Thanissaro meant “live” as in the verb , or “live” as in the adjective “live event”. If no one has a definite answer I’ll have to look at Bodhi, pali, and other translations and figure out what he meant. cryptic poetry verse.

3 Likes

snp vagga 3,
uploaded 2 more, will be finished with vagga after tomorrow.

note about PL on 3.10, my pronunciation of “crores”, it’s correct. So you don’t need to search on the internet to verify. I had to stop my recording, go look up the word and pronunciation, record the ending of the sutta, then splice it an and match audio levels for the two recordings. That one word cost me more than 30 minutes of extra time and energy. I’m guessing Ven. T used that word to get a rhyme in the verse? I doubt anyone will know what the word means.

1. A crore is a large number that SNA calculates as equal to ten million.

text at end of sutta:

Those loads of sesame seeds

compared to the Paduma hell

have been calculated by those who know

as five times ten thousand crores,12

plus twelve times one hundred more.

The length of the hells of suffering

described here

is how long [the hell-beings]

will have to dwell there.

So when in the company of those

who are pure, admirable, excellent,