Bhante Sujato's teaching tour 2019–2020

So glad to hear that things are going nicely and are well received! :pray:

3 Likes

After Ventura and Santa Barbara, I spent a night in the Hollywood Hills, where I gave a talk at the Hollywood cemetery. My hosts from LA Insight were very gracious and kind!

Now I’m up at Santa Rosa at Dhammadharini with Ayya Tathaaloka and the bhikkhunis. This is their small center half way between SF and the hermitage at Araññabodhi. It’s so nice to catch up with some old friends!

Last night was the 10 year anniversary of the first Australian Theravada bhikkhuni ordination in Perth, and by a strange coincidence four of those here were present then: myself, Ayya Tathaaloka, Ayya Sobhana, and Ayya Dhammananda (Vietnam). It was a chance for us to reflect on the events of that time, and to see the very demonstrable growth in the community since then.

19 Likes

I can’t wait to meet you at my home away from home in Rockaway. Have a great trip.

8 Likes

So good to hear…good for the bikkhunis, sangha, lay followers, and world as a whole.

4 Likes

Hi Ayyas!!! :pray: :wave: :grin:

7 Likes

Just returned from Ven. Sujato’s 5-day retreat at Buddhist Insights. Thank you to Ven. Sujato and everyone who made it possible for us to have this incredible opportunity here. Venerable filled our hearts with the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha, made us laugh at every turn, and much more. Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

Hello to @vann and any others who attended from this forum. :pray:t3::heartpulse:

8 Likes

Hey thanks, it was a fantastic time with y’all. :heart:

5 Likes

Thanks to Buddhist Insights for live streaming all of Bhante Sujato’s talks. Many of us couldn’t be in New York for this retreat, but it was great “being there” for the streamed talks. Good video and audio, as well, which is always appreciated. Well done, Buddhist Insights.

9 Likes

Were these videos recorded, and do they remain accessible? I had a quick look for them but couldn’t find them

1 Like

@Viveka , if you scroll down on the evil Facebook at Buddhist Insights - Home | Facebook you will find the streamed talks there…I understand there’s to be one more talk tomorrow as well… Self-Love with Bhante Sujato Tickets, Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:00 PM | Eventbrite

3 Likes

Many Thanks, I was looking on their website - rather than FB :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We​ just returned ​​to Montreal after attending ​Bhante’s ​ teaching on the weekend plus the 5-day retreat at Buddhist Insights. We are so grateful to ​everyone who made this wonderful retreat possible, especially to ​Bhante’s lucid​ and practical ​teaching based on a rare depth of knowledge and understanding​. And of course we all enjoyed his witty Aussie sense of humor :rofl:.

On the last day of the retreat during the ​sharing session we were ​amused in a ​delighted ​way ​by the remarks from the ”Buddhist newbies” New Yorkers claiming meeting Bhante Sujato in person is their ​"​dream come true​"​ :innocent:. ​

Thank you to all retreatants and a warm hello to @mhk, a very gentle human being and also a lucky one with a lovely mother-in-law :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

:pray::sparkling_heart::maple_leaf:

9 Likes

I’ve been greatly enjoying listening to Bhante @sujato’s talks of October 26 at Redwood City Audio Dharma - Understanding the Buddhist Suttas.
Slightly frustratingly, I was flying from snow-covered Montana to smokey California during the daylong…

:heart:

7 Likes

It was lovely to see you all, and Vann, to catch up after all these years.

After my first talk, someone said they had been to the Comedy Club the night before, and they laughed more at my talk. I don’t quite know what to think about that!

I mean, what do you say to something like that? The hard work was by the folk there, especially Vens Suddhaso and Soma, pulling people together. The NYC crowd was sincere and engaged, I really enjoyed sharing Dhamma with them.

10 Likes

Perhaps… change your “career” :joy:?

Bhante, you said happiness and joy bring the mind to peace, so you’ve just helped them do the groundwork for meditation :pray:.

I guess there’s nothing to say but many thing to consider like …how often should you come back to America :thinking:?

All the more reason you should come back and share your wisdom :anjal:

2 Likes

@Sujato: Many thanks for a wonderful weekend here in Hamburg! :slight_smile:

You really make the Suttas accessible - and fun. :slight_smile:

Special thanks to @sabbamitta for the great real time translation! I’m always impressed how well you translate in a matter of seconds.

And also many thanks to all the great people at the “Buddhistische Gesellschaft Hamburg”, who made this weekend possible - and of course also many thanks to all the other great participants!

10 Likes

Hi Benjamin, nice to meet you again here on D&D. D&D is everywhere, even in Hamburg!

Yes, I also enjoyed the weekend very much, and it was fun to translate. I’d also like to thank you for your many and often so creative contributions to the matter.

I just got the link to Sunday night’s talk that has been video recorded and hope everybody enjoys it just as much as I did:

And the description that goes with it:

Heroes and hard times

In the early texts we see a Buddha who was unafraid to speak of his difficulties and hardships, who presented a very human face to the quest for awakening. The classic hero’s journey depicts the quest for the most valuable prize, undaunted by whatever obstacles stand in the way. While later traditions depict a Buddha whose grandeur and perfection at times dwarves the mere human condition, when we read his own teaching we see a Buddha whose struggles mirror our own.

15 Likes

Bhante Sujato, thank you so much for inspiring the hero in us all. That exercise in the beginning was quite the ice-breaker. :pray:

Anagarika @Sabbamitta, thank you so much for translating Bhante’s wonderful Dhamma talk! You are our hero for doing this delicate and difficult task. The experience of listening to a translated Dhamma talk is simply electrifying. :cloud_with_lightning:

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!

(…and now I know that “hunk” is “Adonis”. :laughing:. Most excellent!)

8 Likes

Ajanh Sujato and Ayya Vimala with meditation retreat group in Poland :slight_smile: :heart:

Ajahn Sujato and me after the retreat in Slovakia :slight_smile: :anjal: :heart:

It was wonderful and lifechanging time, thank you again Bhante ! :anjal: :heart:

17 Likes

Thanks a lot for your Dhamma Dana, Bhante !
Greetings from Antwerp Ehipassiko Sangha

12 Likes