Building a Sangha from scratch šŸ˜‰

Hi! For the past 2 or 3 years Iā€™ve been trying to contact Buddhist followers to build a Sangha for practicing together. Iā€™ve been posting on Buddhist websites and nothing happenā€¦ Here in Barcelona, Spain, we donā€™t have any Theravada Monastery nearby, thatā€™s the reason, I guess, is kind of difficult to find people of our traditionā€¦ Any ideas will be very appreciated friends. :wink::+1::pray:

8 Likes

Welcome to the SuttaCentral Sangha.

:pray:

Bienvenido a SuttaCentral.

Por cierto, estamos trabajando en algunas traducciones de la interfaz web para voice.suttacentral.net. Tenemos una traducciĆ³n al portuguĆ©s, pero no al espaƱol. ĀæLe interesarĆ­a ayudarnos a proporcionar al mundo una interfaz en espaƱol para Voice?

5 Likes

I would love to, but unfortunately I donā€™t have enough timeā€¦ Thank you for your offer :pray:

2 Likes

If you canā€™t find any other Theravada Buddhists locally, then how about considering a comparable tradition, Zen for example?

Have you checked the Buddhanet world directory?
Spain:
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/country.php?country_id=73
Barcelona:
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/province.php?province_id=675

5 Likes

You might be interested in Bhante Sujatoā€™s visit to Europe this year:

4 Likes

Yes @Martin! Almost every tradition is present, except Theravadaā€¦

1 Like

Yes, thank you @karl_lew. But unfortunately I canā€™t goā€¦ This yearā€¦ We see :pray:

1 Like

@Gustavo, maybe think about starting a Meetup Group Meetups near Barcelona | Meetup focused on Early Buddhism/Forest practice. I have used Meetup successfully in the past forming meditation groups in cities where there is no Forest or Theravada presence. My approach is to curate Dhamma talks/guided meditations off of youtube (mainly monastics found on the BSWA.org site ), present the talks on a TV monitor with internet connection, and then facilitate meditation sits. Most often, people new to the EBTs and Dhamma enjoy staying late and talking, and I found that even after the formal program, an hour or more was spent talking. It turned out to be a great way to connect people, and was quite beneficial to others, who had not known of the EBTs or Dhamma, and elevated their lives through these gatherings.

For space, I borrowed or rented space that was economical. I purchased cushions/zabutons, and folding chairs so that those unable to sit on cushions were able to sit comfortably. A small investment that paid huge spiritual dividends.

15 Likes

So what are the practical options? Iā€™m guessing itā€™s something like this:

1. Remain an essentially solitary practitioner.
  2. Travel some distance for occasional contact with Theravadans.
  3. Spend time regularly with a local non-Theravadan group, and keep an open mind.

I would go for #3, but itā€™s a personal decision.
Iā€™ve practised with many traditions over the last 40 years, and have appreciated all of them. Buddhist and non-Buddhist.

7 Likes

ā€¦4. Invite distant Theravada teachers to come teach a non-Theravadan Buddhist group. Thatā€™s what a fellow in Arkansas did; he couldnā€™t find any local Theravadan teachers to participate in the local Buddhist interfaith community, so he invited a teacher from hundreds of miles away (me) to lead occasional weekend programs.

10 Likes

Itā€™s a good idea, but it would take a lot of confidence for an individual practitioner to arrange something like this.

2 Likes

My way of dealing with such situation is:

1. Listening to dhamma talks by my favorite monks regularly.
  2. Reading suttas regularly.
  3. Doing a lot of my own practice
  4. Every situation of life is part of dhamma when seen with wisdom and metta
  5. Having kalyana mitta - admirable/spiritual friend(s).

Truth is many ā€œsanghasā€ are not in great shape, a lot of techniques are misinterpreted so such solution can be actually to your advantage.

I write ā€œsanghasā€ in quotations, because for me true sangha (in which we are taking refuge) is community of monks/nuns who has reach at least stream entry fruit, who are truly Venerable and Noble, which I believe are not many.

With metta.

7 Likes

Thank you so much @UpasakaMichael, Iā€™ll give a try to meetup app (which, by the way, Iā€™ve installed months ago to search for these kind of groups) and see what happensā€¦ :pray:

6 Likes

Thank you @Invo for your advice :pray:

2 Likes

Yes, point 3 is helpful. I participated a few years a go in a Thich Nhat Hanh group and it was very nice. And was also desicive to realize that it was not the tradition I want to followā€¦

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea @Charlotteannun. Iā€™ve contacted a monk from USA who was happy to visit Barcelona to teachā€¦
The steps would be:

1. Search for a local Buddhist group who is interested to have the Ven. to teach.
  2. Find the resources to cover the travel an other expensesā€¦
    Right?

Thank you,:pray:

5 Likes

It may take first establishing personal relationships with whatever group you have in mind. An outsider proposing to bring in a teacher will probably be politely tolerated; the actual work of doing it would fall on you. If, however, you had become an integral part of their community before proposing the Theravadanā€™s visit, theyā€™d be more likely to fully commit to everything involved, including fronting the funding for travel costs, doing the advertising, arranging local transportation, arranging a venue & taking care of set-up, and hosting the monk during his visit.

8 Likes

Thank you for your advice @CharlotteannunšŸ™I will keep it in mind.
All the suggestions and ideas here are helping me a lot :blush:

6 Likes

As someone in a city with somewhat small Dharma resources, Iā€™ve generally been doing option 3. Thereā€™s a large Thai temple about an hour or so away but it generally focuses on catering to the Thai community, so it is much easier to just go to a small and closer Zen sangha.

6 Likes

Suggestion: If you can, offer to give English lessons to the monks. You can form a close relationship that way with the monks which will be mutually beneficial. Many Thai monks in the 'States tend to be stand-offish to Americans due to shyness over their ability to speak English, so some practice with you could help them in their wish to teach. (By the way, that shyness vanishes towards you if you just speak to them butchering a few Thai phrases; their English being much better than that, it puts them at ease.)

Or offer any other service that you can jump into easily, like tell the monks if they ever need a ride to the doctor or anywhere to call you, or bring pizza for lunch occasionally, or offer nice writing pens, or offer maintenance on the Templeā€™s vehicle, or whatever. The nicest way for a layman to connect with monks is through service, large or small.

10 Likes