DN 14 wrong eng translation

From here:

It is the rule, brethren, that, when a Bodhisat issues from his mother’s womb

From Walshe, M. - The Long Discourses of the Buddha. A translation of Digha Nikaya (The Teachings of the Buddha) - 1995:

It is the rule, monks, that when a Bodhisatta descends from the Tusita heaven into his mother’s womb

Pali:

Dhammatā esā, bhikkhave, yadā bodhisatto tusitā kāyā cavitvā mātukucchiṃ okkamati

From MN 123. Bhikkhu Ñanamoli and Bhikkhu Bodhi - The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha. A Translation of the Majjhima Nikāya:

When the Bodhisatta passed away from the Tusita heaven and descended into his mother’s womb

From AN 4.127. Bhikkhu Bodhi - The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha. A Translation of the Aṅguttara Nikāya:

When, bhikkhus, a bodhisatta passes away from the Tusita heaven and mindfully and with clear comprehension enters his mother’s womb

Download links in this topic.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, but I think you’re mixing up two contexts. Earlier he is said to descend “into” the mother’s womb, then later to emerge from it. The Rhys Davids translation on SC gets this detail right:

he ceased to belong to the hosts of the heaven of Delight, descended into his mother’s womb

Note, incidentally, that the use of “descend” here is unnecessarily literal. It just means to be “conceived” in the womb.

1 Like

Hi. Sorry. I should have cited more. I was meaning text from part about a radiance.

It is the rule, brethren, that, when a Bodhisat issues from his mother’s womb, there is made manifest throughout the universe—including the worlds above of the gods, the Maras and the Brahmas, and the world below with its recluses and brahmins, its princes and peoples—an infinite and splendid radiance passing the glory of the gods

Again this occurs twice, once when he enters the womb, once when he leaves it.

1 Like

Oh I’m sorry. I was inconsiderate. Thank you for pointing out my fault. From now on I will be more attentive.

1 Like

No worries, we are here to help.

1 Like