How is final nibanna different from the extinction of consciousness after death as conceived by materialists?

How is final nibanna different from the extinction of consciousness after death as conceived by materialists?

While I remain agnostic on what happens after death, I believe that those who hold to final nibanna believe the state is the extinction of all awareness or consciousness and that that would be indistinguishable from how materialists envision what happens after death.

Am I right in this assumption or wrong? Please share your thoughts.

Firstly, for the arahant death is what befalls “this body”:

Now on that occasion a viper had fallen on the Venerable Upasena’s body. Then the Venerable Upasena addressed the bhikkhus thus: “Come, friends, lift this body of mine on to the bed and carry it outside before it is scattered right here like a handful of chaff.”

while for those ucchedavādins who take body as self, death is what befalls “me”.

Herein, bhikkhus, a certain recluse or a brahmin asserts the following doctrine and view: ‘The self, good sir, has material form; it is composed of the four primary elements and originates from father and mother. Since this self, good sir, is annihilated and destroyed with the breakup of the body and does not exist after death, at this point the self is completely annihilated.’ In this way some proclaim the annihilation, destruction, and extermination of an existent being.
DN1

Secondly, contrary to his expectations, the ucchedavādin is reborn.

5 Likes

For the Arahant, is their any awareness left of any kind?

Apparently not.

When he [the arahant] feels a feeling terminating with life, he understands: ‘I feel a feeling terminating with life.’ He understands: ‘With the breakup of the body, following the exhaustion of life, all that is felt, not being delighted in, will become cool right here; mere bodily remains will be left.’

“Suppose, bhikkhus, a man would remove a hot clay pot from a potter’s kiln and set it on smooth ground: its heat would be dissipated right there and potsherds would be left. So too, when he feels a feeling terminating with the body … terminating with life…. He understands: ‘With the breakup of the body, following the exhaustion of life, all that is felt, not being delighted in, will become cool right here; mere bodily remains will be left.’ “What do you think, bhikkhus, can a bhikkhu whose taints are destroyed generate a meritorious volitional formation, or a demeritorious volitional formation, or an imperturbable volitional formation?”

“No, venerable sir.”

“When there are utterly no volitional formations, with the cessation of volitional formations, would consciousness be discerned?”

“No, venerable sir.”

SN12.51

3 Likes