Is there a nice "literary" map of early Buddhism?

Alright, here‘s another WIP. I added some more of the major rivers so the space below the Ganges plains doesn‘t look so empty. I‘ve also found a map of mountain ranges: the slight markings all over the place denote the Aravalli Mountains, the Vindhya Mountains, the Satpura Mountains, the Deccan Plateau, the Chota Nagpur Plateau, and the Eastern Ghats, all of which I‘ll draw when the lettering‘s in place.

A few questions first, though:

• Is it OK to only put in the Mahajanapadas, not the assorted countries and republics which are often part of the same area?
  • Do we want a plaque saying „Jambudhipa“? If so, should it be in the top left corner or the lower center?
  • Is it OK to put the inset map of India in the top left and the scale indicator in the lower right corner?
  • Any other additions or changes you want before I put in more stuff?
6 Likes

starting to look nice!

Nice!

Let’s start with them and see how we go. I think we should include Sakya as well, though.

Sure! top left sounds good to me

1 Like

Would be fitting for a Buddhist book, I guess :smile:
It‘s also in the most crowded area of the map, I may have to shuffle things around a bit.
Regarding lettering: I‘ve decided to use all-capital serif letters, like the LOTR map (which at this point I‘m more or less copying), but I won‘t use Arno for copyright reasons, so the map can be freely distributed. Guess no one would be able to spot the difference with the handlettering, but just to be sure. Instead, there‘s an OpenFont licensed (i.e. free for personal and commercial use) version of the Garamond typeface, a French 16th century style which evolved from the humanist styles of the Italian Renaissance which Arno is based on.

The copyright doesn’t apply for the finished product, which will I assume be an image file. Only the font files themselves are restricted.

In any case, as you say it won’t be noticeable. The Renaissance typefaces have flair and clarity and are great for this work.

Man, this is a bit more work than I had anticipated :sweat_smile:
Anyway, this is how far I‘ll get before the new year. Lettering‘s done save for two Mahajanapadas, most mountains and forests as well as the scale indicator and the India inlay are still missing, but you get the idea what it‘ll look like. Don‘t mind the eraser marks and guide lines, the final version will be digitally cleaned up.

Please go over the map to check for any more towns or regions you want put in, any spelling to be corrected, lettering to be redone or any style changes you may want. Now‘s the time! And don‘t be shy, I don‘t mind redoing stuff if it‘s not quite up to scratch.
I‘ll start doing the rest in 10 days or so.

16 Likes

Wow amazing Jonas, let me check it carefully and get back to you.

1 Like

Posting issues as I find them.

We need to get the topography more accurate. The southern hills are not clumped together like that. In fact the opposite: those towns and regions are known because they are on the southern road that skirts the hills.

Here’s a nice topography.

So you can see that from the main area around Rajagaha, the hills stretch south-west, so travellers would keep to their north. Then closer to the coast—around modern Surat or Mumbai, they would hook back east down to Andhra.

This map also makes it really clear why the population basis was in the Ganges plain!

Generally speaking, the forests would be associated with the hilly areas. So for the southern hills, and really the whole area outside of the Ganges plain, we could sprinkle some forests. This is especially the case for the Himalayas, whose approaches are always described in ecstatic terms as full of gorgeous forests. Less forest around the settled areas would then make sense, too.

See, I have this theory: if we really understood how hard anything was, we would never start.

10 Likes

If only you‘d told me before I started samsara‘ing! Getting out of this cesspit has turned out to be a Herculean task :upside_down_face:

Joking aside, that topography is priceless! Thanks for the detailed input, I appreciate it very much. Good thing most of the mountains aren‘t in yet, this will look so much better on that level of accuracy.

Have you decided about Bavari‘s hermitage yet? Please also consider that some more points of the Parayanavagga journey are still missing because I couldn‘t place them accurately.

4 Likes

Looking from “outside the loop” I’d just like to offer my respect and gratitude for your efforts in this project!

:pray: :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

On the Godhavari, a little to the S-E of Paithan/Patitthana.

Oh, I just came across this nice article:

Apparently Patanjali was from Gonaddha! This also clears up some incidental details

• inscriptions support Muḷaka rather than Aḷaka
  • Assaka means “stony”, so a rugged area without forest.
  1. Patiṭṭhāna (of Muḷaka) :white_check_mark:
  2. Mahissati :white_check_mark:
  3. Ujjenī :white_check_mark:
  4. Gonaddhā: not exactly identified; near Bhopal; see discussion here.
  5. Vedisa is here
  6. Vanasa: Identified with Tumbavana in the commentary , which is attested in inscriptions at Sanchi. Also see this twitter thread with some images. Modern Tumain/Tumen located just south of Ashokanagara.
  7. Kosambi :white_check_mark:
  8. Sāketa :white_check_mark:
  9. Sāvatthī :white_check_mark:
  10. Setavyā :white_check_mark: (Spell with a v)
  11. Kapilavatthu :white_check_mark:
  12. Kusinārā :white_check_mark:
  13. Pāvā is here
  14. Bhoganagara is unidentified, but must have been around here.
  15. Vesālī :white_check_mark:
  16. Rājagaha :white_check_mark:
  17. Pāsāṇaka shrine the “stone shrine” on a hill near Rajagaha, not further identified.
3 Likes

:popcorn: Don’t mind me, I’m just dropping in for a sticky-beak. This thread has just been my daily entertainment. :sunglasses:
I’m loving seeing how the map is developing. Great work!

7 Likes

Ha ha I’m enjoying it too!

Ngl I was pretty happy this morning to track down the location of Vanasa!

5 Likes

Possible places to add:

1 Like

Alright! Took a bit longer (had a little crying break because of culture war sickness, this forum can be a real challenge sometimes), but I‘m back to drawing. Update soon :tm:

2 Likes

The only Sopara I can find in Openstreetmap and GMaps is located in Vasai-Virar north of Mumbai.

Just a heads-up, so far we‘ve only marked republics and kingdoms on the map, not geographic regions. Do you want to go ahead anyway?

Squeezing Pava and Bhoganagara between Kusinara and Vesali will be a royal pain in the backside! :sweat_smile: I‘m super glad we didn‘t go for zooming out further.

1 Like

Leave those two for now, let’s see what we’ve got.

Having said which.

That’s the one.

I don’t see why not. But leave it for now.

Lol, I know. Maybe try versions with and without and see how?

1 Like

Looks great! Awesome work :+1:t4::+1:t4:

:joy::rofl::joy:

Didn’t realise niraya was in Turkmenistan

3 Likes

Alright, update time.
I struggled with emulating the height map. :confused: If you have any ideas how to do it better, that would be great.
What about the placement of Bavari‘s hermitage? Too close to Patitthana, too far away?

17 Likes

Wow, Jonas, that’s really looking incredible!

No that looks fine.

I’ll spend some time looking over it more carefully.

1 Like

What you’ve done invokes a certain connection to the Buddha’s travels in a Tolkienesque flair.
:pray: