Make a rainbow fall at our feet šŸŒˆ tell us about our mistakes, typos, and other oversights

ā€œSaį¹vejanÄ«aā€ should read ā€œSaį¹vejanÄ«yaā€ (DN 16, third f.n. in sect. 28).

1 Like

I think should mean ā€œthree months timeā€ since the relevant scene took place on the day of the Buddhaā€™s passing, which was three months before the council (DN 16, fourth f.n. in sect. 31).

1 Like

MN24:11.3: ā€œKiį¹ panāvuso, cittavisuddhi anupādāparinibbānanā€ti?
ā€œIs purification of ethics ā€¦

Here itā€™s purification of mind, not ethics.

One ā€œaā€ in second line is redundant (DN 16, third f.n. in sect. 35).

The two terms ovādako viƱƱāpako are translated ā€œadviser and counselorā€ in SN 47.12 and ā€œadviser and instructorā€ in MN 24.

There was a discussion of the Chinese parallels to the Itivuttaka here. Bhante also mentions the article in the introduction to his translation. But they havenā€™t been added yet to the website in the ā€œparallels in ancient textsā€ dropdowns.

Thatā€™s not a mistake (afaik) just a lack of volunteers :grin:

1 Like

I see :slight_smile:
I thought I would add it here in case it slipped through the cracks last time. The relevant findings of the article by K. Watanabe were

although we probably need someone who is able to read from the Chinese version: ęœ¬äŗ‹ē¶“ (Taishō vol. 17, sutra 765) and verify the findings of the article.

1 Like

@sood - Iā€™ve gone ahead and opened this GitHub Issue for it. Let me know if Iā€™ve summarized it correctly

2 Likes

Looks good, Bhante!

extra text ā€¦.

1 Like

The second line of the verse at the end of Ud 5.8 reads:

Sādhu pāpena dukkaraį¹;

Bhante @sujato has:

and hard for the good to do bad.

I believe this should be:

and hard for the bad to do good.

Bhante Ānandajoti agrees with me:

good by the bad is done only with difficulty

as does Thanissaro Bhikkhu:

The good, for the evil, is hard to do.

(Does Bhante regret teaching me Pāli yet? :pray: :laughing:)

2 Likes

MN24:16.4: mantāį¹‡iputtoti ca pana maį¹ sabrahmacārÄ« jānantÄ«ā€ti.
And I am known as ā€œson of Mantāį¹‡Ä«ā€ among my spiritual companions.ā€

ā€œSon of Mantāį¹‡Ä«ā€ is second level quote nesting, so should be in single quotes.

api paį¹‡ujjamāno is translated in MN 122:20.4 ā€œeven if asked to go awayā€ and in MN 122:19.2 as well as in MN 17:26.7 (api panujjamānenap) ā€œeven if sent awayā€.

Same word spelled in different ways:

• judgment in MN 18, SN 3.7, Ud 7.7, Snp 4.9 and 4.12
  • judgement in DN 21, Snp 4.11 and 4.14

Ekamidāhaį¹ is usually translated ā€œthis one timeā€, but in SN 47.43:1.3 it is ā€œat one timeā€.

When German is selected as the main language, the copyright info box reads:

As you can see, it reads Dises Werk, which should be Dieses Werk. Maybe @sabbamitta can make the changes?

1 Like

Thank you for finding my typos! :grin:

1 Like

Thank Manfred! He found it. :grinning:

1 Like

Greetings to him! :wave:

1 Like

I found where this is located, itā€™s in site/publication_translation-de-site. Venerable @Snowbird, @HongDa, should the license description text as per the screenshot above not also be added to this file for localization? And what does ā€œPublic Domain (false)ā€ mean?

2 Likes

Ven. @sabbamitta , Let me check :smile:

1 Like

@HongDa and @sabbamitta, Those problems are already listed in this issue. I know that miscellaneous problems like this arenā€™t really how issues are supposed to work on github.

3 Likes

MN25:6.28: YannÅ«na mayaį¹ yattha agati nevāpikassa ca nevāpikaparisāya ca tatrāsayaį¹ kappeyyāma, tatrāsayaį¹ kappetvā amuį¹ nivāpaį¹ nivuttaį¹ nevāpikassa ananupakhajja amucchitā bhojanāni bhuƱjissāma, ananupakhajja amucchitā bhojanāni bhuƱjamānā na madaį¹ āpajjissāma, amattā samānā na pamādaį¹ āpajjissāma, appamattā samānā na yathākāmakaraį¹‡Ä«yā bhavissāma nevāpikassa amusmiį¹ nivāpeā€™ti.
Why donā€™t we set up our lair somewhere the sower and his helpers canā€™t go? Then we can intrude on where the sower has sown the seed and enjoy eating it without being reckless. We wonā€™t become indulgent, then we wonā€™t become negligent, and then the sower wonā€™t be able to do with them what he wants on account of that seed.ā€™

Should be ā€œand then the sower wonā€™t be able to do with us what he wantsā€.