Need help translating a few sentences from AN 5.28 commentary

The full paragraph is:

AN-a 5, 1. paṭhamapaṇṇāsakaṃ, 3. pañcaṅgikavaggo, 8. pañcaṅgikasuttavaṇṇanā, para. 1 ⇒

1. aṭṭhame ariyassāti vikkhambhanavasena pahīnakilesehi ārakā ṭhitassa. bhāvanaṃ desessāmīti brūhanaṃ vaḍḍhanaṃ pakāsayissāmi. imameva kāyanti imaṃ karajakāyaṃ. abhisandetīti temeti sneheti, sabbattha pavattapītisukhaṃ karoti. parisandetīti samantato sandeti. paripūretīti vāyunā bhastaṃ viya pūreti. parippharatīti samantato phusati. sabbāvato kāyassāti assa bhikkhuno sabbakoṭṭhāsavato kāyassa kiñci upādinnakasantatipavattiṭṭhāne chavimaṃsalohitānugataṃ aṇumattampi ṭhānaṃ paṭhamajjhānasukhena aphuṭaṃ nāma na hoti.

The part I’m particularly interested in is this part of that paragraph:
Even Atthakatha explains “this very body” in this passage:

imameva kāyanti imaṃ karajakāyaṃ.

as “body born of actions”, i.e. the physical body.

and “whole body” as skin, flesh, blood, etc.

sabbāvato kāyassāti assa bhikkhuno sabbakoṭṭhāsavato kāyassa kiñci upādinnakasantatipavattiṭṭhāne chavimaṃsalohitānugataṃ aṇumattampi ṭhānaṃ paṭhamajjhānasukhena aphuṭaṃ nāma na hoti.

And here is my sorry attempt to translate that:

sabbāvato kāyassāti assa bhikkhuno
entire / body / that / monk

sabbak-oṭṭh-āsavato kāyassa kiñci
entire-camel-flows / body /something

upādinnaka-santati-pavatt-iṭṭhāne
clinging-continuity-going-on-?

chavi-maṃsa-lohit-ānugataṃ
skin-flesh-blood-gone into it

aṇumattampi ṭhānaṃ paṭhamaj-jhāna-sukhena
tiny / place / first jhana pleasure

a-phuṭaṃ nāma na hoti.
unpervaded / mentality aggregates? / not / is

how is karajakāya broken up into simpler words?

CPD has karajakāya: the body (which is born of impurity.). (m.)
karaja-kāya? what does karaja mean?

I thought Piya Tan might have translated these relevant parts of the cmy, so I checked his site, he hasn’t translated AN 5.28, and looking at MN 119 (which also has the 4 jhana similes), strangely his footnote for explaining kāya in the simile just cites Vism. “body of mental factors”. as support for his interpretation of body. I thought Piya was one of the EBT guys.

Nibbanka was the one who pointed me out to this commentary passage in the first place, so presumably if an english translation of that already existed, he would have known about it.

Hi Frank,

I’ve given a translation by Geoff Shatz at:

1 Like

geoff shatz translation from link nibbanka provided:

Dīghanikāya Sumaṅgalavilāsinī Sīlakkhandhavagga Aṭṭhakathā Sāmaññaphalasuttavaṇṇanā :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:

The Sumaṅgalavilāsinī commentary on the Sāmaññaphala Sutta explains this passage as follows:2

“This very body:” this body born of action [i.e. born of kamma]. “He drenches:” he moistens, he extends joy and pleasure everywhere. “Steeps:” to flow all over. “Fills:” like filling a bellows with air. “Permeates:” to touch all over.
“His whole body:” in this monk’s body, with all its parts, in the place where acquired [material] continuity occurs there is not even the smallest part consisting of skin, flesh, and blood that is not permeated with the pleasure of the first jhāna.

What does kāyanti mean? It appears to not be found in the suttas. Is it a verb?

karajakāya
masculine
the body (which is born of impurity.).

Kara [fr. kṛ] 1. (adj.) ( – ˚) producing, causing, forming, making, doing,

jaborn of kamma” in karaja

It is found in AN 10.219:

So evaṃ pajānāti: ‘yaṃ kho me idaṃ kiñci pubbe iminā karajakāyena pāpakammaṃ kataṃ, sabbaṃ taṃ idha vedanīyaṃ; na taṃ anugaṃ bhavissatī’ti

The noble disciple understands: ‘Whatever bad deed I did here in the past with this deed-born body is all to be experienced here. It will not follow along.’

It seems ‘kaya’ does not always mean ‘physical body’ but means ‘collection’ or ‘group’, as in the term ‘sakkaya’, which refers to the collection of five aggregates taken as self.

I think there was a discussion about this, here: 'Kāya' and 'body' in context - #26 by Gabriel

:seedling:

Thanks for the breakdown on karaja. kāyanti is part of the paragraph I quoted. Since we have the english for the whole paragraph now courtesy of Geoff S., that’s good enough for me, though I will compare to pali and try to match it up word for word at some point.

I understand kāya can mean collection in some contexts. In AN 5.28 however, the context is beyond a doubt (four jhana similes) absolutely clear the anatomical body is what is being referred to. That paragraph translation is the Commentary confirming that it’s an anatomical body.

Hi Deeele,

It’s kāyaṃ + ti (quotation marker).

1 Like