Please, help - "Live" List of Pali Commentaries' English Translations

ToC

There are already at least four posts on this topic in SuttaCentral, but I feel that none of them fulfills the dream that I am going to share with you. Although all of them provide some information on Pali Commentaries (Aṭṭhakathā) translated in English today, I don’t find them easy to benefit from. But most importantly, the previous posts are not live. Live means, that the creators of the posts change them according to the replies in the discussion. I may not be alive forever and I may not be available always. But let me promise that I will update at least once a month. All or most of the updates should be mentioned in the comments to this post (below), so you may like to see also the comments below to understand how this list grew into this final version.

So, here is the fifth attempt for a full list of Pali Commentaries. I will update the list according to your comments. (A disclaimer—I do not guarantee the quality of any of the translations in the list.) The list has three parts -

1. Free: Free means you can download it. I have uploaded the “free” but I worry that some “free” may have a copyright restriction against my uploading. In that case, I want to remove them from the collection in the download link and here add just the link where it is available. I don’t understand copyright law and whenever I tried to learn it instead of understanding I actually had more questions than answers. Please, help me recognize what is commercial and free to upload and what not, I may be terribly wrong in my assessment. Free resources can be downoaded here.
  2. Commercial: Commercial means there is no way to download them for free. They include a link to buy.
  3. Theoretical or Planned: Theoretical are in the dream sphere (somebody said something and there it ended.) Planned means that somebody has already undertaken the translation of the particular text. (Please, note, that Conditional Relations by U Nārada is not Commentary, it is a translation of the main Abhidhamma Paṭṭhāna. The same thing is with Dhātukathā by U Nārada, and Puggalapaññatti by B.C. Law. Only the main texts are translated, not their Commentaries. MN translation of Raṭṭhapāla Sutta in Wheel 110 doesn’t contain the Commentary. Ven. Vimalaramsi’s essay on Ānāpānassati does not include a Commentary. C.E. Godakumbura’s Apadana is only a Pali transcript, not translation.)

Please, help me update and improve this list, either by searching and revealing another’s translation or by your own translation. I will also try my best.

Because translations of Sub-Commentaries are extremely rare I include them inside this list and mark them as “B” in their number code. “A” is for Commentary if needed for distinguishment. 00 is for Vinaya Piṭaka, 01 is Dīgha Nikāya, 02 is Majjhima Nikāya, 03 is for Saṃyutta Nikāya, 04 is for Aṅguttara Nikāya, 05 is for Khuddaka Nikāya and the second number is for each book out of the 18 as decided by the Sixth Buddhist Council, 06 is for Abhidhamma, and 07 is for other Pali books numbered according to their position in Chaṭṭha Saṅgāyanā Tipiṭaka 4.0 Software.

List of Abbreviations

Vinaya

• Vin-a: Samantapasadika Bahiranidana, Inception of Discipline and Vinaya Nidana—N.A. Jayawickrama (Sacred Books of the Buddhists Vol.21) London-1962 (272p).pdf
  • Vin-a: Vinaya Commentary, Samantapasadika, Shan-Chien-P’i-P’o-Sha, Sanghabhadra’s Chinese Samantapasadika–tr. by Prof. P.V. Bapat and Prof. A. Hirakawa, Tokyo, 1970 (652p).pdf

Dīgha Nikāya

• DN-a 1: Brahmajāla Sutta, The Discourse All Embracing Net of Views—Bhikkhu Bodhi, Kandy, 2007 (372p)
  • DN-a 2: Sāmaññaphala Sutta and its Commentaries, The Fruits of Recluseship—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS, Kandy, 2008(1989) (197p).pdf
  • DN-a 15: Mahānidāna Sutta Commentary, The Great Discourse on Causation—Bhikkhu Bodhi, 2007 (82p).pdf
  • DN-a 16: Mahāparinibbāna Sutta Commentary, The Mission Accomplished—Pategama Gnanarama Phd, 1997 (236p).pdf
  • DN-a 28: Sampasādanīya Sutta Commentary Sampasādanīyasuttavaṇṇanā—Jnan Nanda for PhD at the University of Hong Kong, 2019 (284p).pdf

Commercial

Majjhima Nikāya

• MN-a 1: Mūlapariyāya Sutta Commentary, Discourse on Root of existence—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS, 1980 (106p).pdf
  • MN-a 1: Mūlapariyāya Sutta Commentary, Discourse on Root of existence (2nd Ed.)—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS, 2006 (109p).pdf
  • MN-a 1,2,3 .Papañcasūdanī, Commentary to the Majjhima Nikāya —N.A. Jayawikrama, Toshiichi Endo, HongKong-2022 (212p).pdf
  • MN-a 4: The Bhayabheravasuttavaṇṇanā of the Majjhima Nikāya, An annotated translation and study—Sree D.R. Sraman for PhD University Hong Kong, 2018 (323p).pdf
  • MN-a 9: Sammādhiṭṭhi Sutta with Commentary (Wheels 377-9)—Bhikkhu Nyanamoli, Bhikkhu Bodhi, 1991 (37p).pdf
  • MN-t 10: Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta with Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries—Soma Thera, 2010(1998) (179p).pdf
  • MN-a 20: Vitakkasaṇṭhāna Sutta Commentary, The Removal of Distracting Thoughts—Soma Thera, 1981(1960) (17p).pdf
  • MN-a 33: Mahāgopālaka Sutta Commentary (from Majjhima Nikāya Anthology, The Five Nikāyas—An Anthology) Myanmar Pali-EN Translation 1978 (25p).pdf
  • MN-t 100: Saṅgārava Sutta Commentaries and Sub-Commentaries (Pali, English, Czech translation by Ashin Saraṇa) version 2017 (94p).pdf
  • MN-a 118: [Ānāpānassati Sutta Commentary, Mindfulness of Breathing—Bhikkhu Ñāṇamoli, BPS-2010(1952) (142p).pdf]
  • MN-a 122: Mahāsuññata Sutta Commentary, The Greater Discourse on Voidness—Ñāṇamoli Thera, wheel 087 BPS-1982(1965) (47p).pdf]

Saṃyutta Nikāya

• SN-a 18,22,26 anthology: SNA 18.11, 22.5,9,12,23,24,26,28,33,58,59,63,71,78,95,102, 56.1,7,21,27,28,31,33,35,42,44,47,48— Son Tu, 2023 (105p).pdf
  • SN-a and SN-ṭ 22.1: Affliction without Affliction, A Translation of the Nakulapitāsutta and its Commentaries—Giuliano Giustarini, Cardiff University Press, 2018 (29p).pdf

Khuddakapāṭha

• Kp-a: Khuddakapāṭha Commentary, Minor Readings and Illustrator–Bhikkhu Nanamoli, PTS, 2005(1960) (384p).pdf
  • Kp-a: Khuddakapāṭha Tirokuṭṭa Sutta Commentary (extracted from Khuddaka Nikāya Anthology, The Five Nikāyas) MM Pali-EN 1978 (16p).pdf

Dhammapada

• Best e-copy found here
  • Dhp-a: Dhammapada Commentary (Buddhist Legends) vol.1,2,3 - E.W.Burlingame, ven. Khemaratana, Anandajoti Bhikkhu, 2020(1917) (1030p).pdf
  • Dhp-a: Dhammapada Stories—Gambiro Bhikkhu (126p).pdf
  • Dhp-a: Dhammapada, Treasury of Truth—Weragoda Sarada Thero (with pictures), 1993 (1250p).pdf

Commercial

Suttanipāta

• Snp-a: Suttanipāta Commentary Paramatthajotikā (only introductions to each sutta’s Commentary)—Burma Pitaka Association, edited by Bhikkhu Pesala, 2018 (48p).pdf

Commercial

Therīgāthā

• Thig-a: Therīgāthā—Canda Therī Commentary (Eng.), U Thein Zan, 1971(or later) (5p).pdf

Udāna

Commercial

Itivuttaka

Commercial

Vimānavatthu

Commercial

Petavatthu

Commercial

Therīgatha

Commercial

Jātaka

• Best e-copy found here
  • Ja-a: Jātaka Commentary Jātakaṭṭhakathā, only Nidānakathā, The Story of Gotama Buddha, vol.1—N.A. Jayawickrama, 2006 (294p).pdf
  • Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha 1 (Prince Goodspeaker)—ven. Kurunegoda Piyatissa, T. Anderson, BuddhaNet, 1994 (265p).pdf
  • Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha 2 (King Fruitful)—ven. Kurunegoda Piyatissa, T. Anderson, BuddhaNet, 1994 (193p).pdf
  • Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales Part 1-5 (BL135: 001,003,018,089; BL138: 078,083,092; BL142: 512,190,322,407; BL144: 077,194,400; BL158: 020,035,055,156)—Ken and Visaka Kawasaki (Bodhi Leaves), 2006 (63p).pdf
  • Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales, Selected and Edited with Introduction and Notes—H.T. Francis and E.J. Thomas, Cambridge-1916 (530p).pdf
  • Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātakas—vocabulary and glossary—I.B. Horner, 2000 (21p).pdf
  • Ja-a: Jātakas—The Jātaka Translation - T.W. Rhys Davids, R. Chalmers, H.T. Francis, W.H.D. Rouse, E.B. Cowell, revised Ānandajoti Bhikkhu, 2021(1880) (2964p).pdf

Commercial

• Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha An Anthology (vol.1) - Ken and Visakha Kawasaki, PariyattiPress-2018 (488p).pdf
  • Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha An Anthology (vol.2) - Ken and Visakha Kawasaki, PariyattiPress-2018 (472p).pdf
  • Ja-a: Jātakas—Jātaka Tales of the Buddha An Anthology (vol.3) - Ken and Visakha Kawasaki, PariyattiPress-2018 (469p).pdf

Apadāna

• Apad-a: Apadāna Commentary - U Lu Pe Win (Eng.), 2020 (1118p).pdf

Commercial

• Apad-a: Apadāna Commentary Visuddhajanavilāsinī—Daya Gunasekara, part 2, 2011 (309p).pdf
  • Apad-a: Apadāna Commentary Visuddhajanavilāsinī—Daya Gunasekara, part 2, 2011 (309p).pdf
    Not available through any online means. However, I have it. So it exists. On April 11 2022, I called on the phone +94-11-2734256 to contact Buddhist Cultural Center, 125, Anderson Road, Nedimala, Dehiwala, Sri Lanka. They confirmed they have the book in the shop.

Buddhavaṃsa

• Bv-a: Madhuratthavilāsinī—Commentary on Buddhavamsa (PTS), 2008 (510p).pdf

Milindapañha

• Mil-a: Milindapañhā Commentary (only section on bhikkhunīs) (“The Politics of Pali Commentary, Canon-making, Monastic Reform, and Religious Revival”)—Jetavana Mingun Sayadaw, Anthony Scott, 2023 (550p).pdf

Abhidhamma

• Ab-t: Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha (Manual of Abhidhamma)—Nārada Mahā Thera, 1979(1956) (486p).pdf
  • Ab-t: Abhidhammatthasaṅgaha, A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma—Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS, 2012(1993) (425p).pdf

Commercial

Visuddhimagga

• Vism: Visuddhimagga—Samatha Advanced Lv 1—Mehm Tin Mon, 2004 (154p).pdf
  • Vism: Visuddhimagga—Samatha Advanced Lv 2—Mehm Tin Mon, 2004 (176p).pdf
  • Vism: Visuddhimagga explanation (rewritten from tapes)—Sayadaw U Silananda (475p).pdf
  • Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purification—Bhikkhu Nanamoli, 2011 (853p).pdf
  • Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purity—Maung Tin vol.1, 1923 (107p).pdf
  • Vism: Visuddhimagga, The Path of Purity—Maung Tin vol.2, 1929 (415p).pdf
  • Vism-t: Visuddhimagga Ṭīkā—A Study in Paramatthamañjūsā With Special Reference to Paññā—Cha Myang Hee, 2001 (581p).pdf
  • Vism-t: Visuddhimagga Ṭīkā (Paramatthamañjūsā), Ch XIV Study (DRAFT)—Nina Van Gorkom, 2023 (458p).pdf

Sāsanavaṁsa

• 07.5.02 Sāsanavaṃsa—The History of the Buddha’s Religion—B. C. Law, 1952 (200p).pdf

Mahāvaṁsa

• Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa—The Hon. George Tourner, 1836 (383p).pdf
  • Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa Extended (chapters 5, 12-15, 18-20), Asoka and the Missions—Ānandajoti Bhikkhu, 2012(1937) (86p).pdf
  • Mhvs: Mahāvaṃsa or the Great Chronicle of Ceylon—Wilhelm Geiger (380p).pdf

Moggallānabyākaraṇa

• 07.6.01 Moggallānabyākaraṇa—hand-written notes of ven. Paññādhika, 2016 (47p).pdf

Kaccāyanabyākaraṇa

• 07.6.02 Kaccāyanabyākaraṇa—En tr. U Nandisena, 2009 (250p).pdf

Lokanīti

• 07.7.05 Lokanīti, LawKaNiTeat—TatToe (Myanmar and English, Pali is omitted), 2009 (199p).pdf

Thūpavaṁsa

• 07.9.02 Thūpavaṃsa, The Legend of the Topes—B.C. Law, 1945 (113p).pdf
  • 07.9.02 Thūpavaṃsa (Introduction), Emotions and Ethics in Buddhist History The Sinhala Thūpavaṃsa and the Work of Virtue—S.C. Berkwitz, 2001 (19p).pdf

Commercial

Theoretical or Planned

• MNA and DNA full translation is planned by Ashin Saraṇa (any helping hand & brain will be most appreciated)

Need

• 00 Vinaya Piṭaka original Samantapāsādikā (what we have is not a strict translation of the Theravāda version)
  • 01 DN 3-14, 17-27, 29-34
  • 02 MN Commentary 5-8, 11-19, 21-32, 34-99, 101-117, 119-121,123-152
  • 03 SN Commentary all
  • 04 AN Commentary all
  • 05.08 Theragāthā Commentary
  • 05.11 Niddesa Commentary
  • 05.12. Paṭisambhidāmagga Commentary
  • 05.15 Cariyāpiṭaka Commentary
  • 05.16 Nettippakaraṇa Commentary
  • 05.17 Peṭakopadesa Commentary
  • 06 Dhātukathā, Puggalapaññatti, Yamaka, and Paṭṭhāna Commentaries
  • 07.2 Saṃgāyana Pucchā Vissajjanā
  • 07.3 Leḍī Sayāḍo—Nirutti, Paramattha, Anudīpanī, and Paṭṭhānuddesadīpanī
  • 07.4 Buddhavandanāganthasaṅgaho – Namakkāraṭīkā, Mahāpanāma, Lakkhaṇāto Buddhathomanāgathā, Sutavandanā, Jinālaṅkāra, Kamalāñjali, Pajjamadhu, Buddhaguṇagāthāvalī
  • 07.5.1 Cūḷaganthavaṃsa
  • 07.6 Saddanīti, Padarūpasiddhi, Moggallānapañcikā, Payogasiddhi, Vuttodaya, Abhidhānappadīpikā, Subodhālaṅkāra, Bālāvatāra Gaṇṭhipadatthavinicchayasāra
  • 07.7. Nītiganthasaṅgaho—Kavidappananīti, Nītimanjarī, Dhammanīti, Mahārahanīti, Suttantanīti, Sūrassatinīti, Cāṇakyanīti, Naradakkhadīpanī, Caturārakkhadīpanī
  • 07.8. Pakiṇṇakaganthasaṅgaho—Rasavāhinī, Sīmavisodhanīpāṭha, Vessantaragīti
  • 07.9. Moggallāna Vuttivivaraṇapañcikā, Dāṭhāvaṃsa, Dhātupāṭhavilāsiniyā, Dhātuvaṃsa, Hatthavanagallavihāravaṅsa, Jinacaritaya, Jinavaṃsadīpaṃ, Telakaṭāhagāthā, Milidaṭīkā, Padamañjarī, Padasādhanaṃ, Saddabindupakaraṇaṃ, Kaccāyanadhātumañjūsā, Samantakūṭavaṇṇanā
32 Likes

Thank you Venerable, for sharing this very useful set of references.

4 Likes

This is great! Thank you, Venerable!

1 Like

This is not the Anapanasati-atthakatha. It’s just someone’s take on this sutta. And if I may add, a bad one. Here he is talking about the aruppa:

“One still has full awareness even when they reach the realm of nothingness. The mind does not waver or move away from the breath even though one hears sounds or knows that a mosquito has landed on them. The mindfulness of breathing and stillness are very clear and sharp to observe. When one is in the realm of nothingness, they can explore and watch many different aspects of the mind.”

05.18 Milindapanha Atthakatha by Jetavana Mingun Sayadaw (review by Tony Scott) (16p).pdf

Scott’s dissertation is not yet finished. The above it just an outline.

05.13 Apadana Commentary Visuddhajanavilasini

See also here: Apadana commentary (Atthakatha) by U Lu Pe Win. Aimwell.org used to host the Apadana-atthakatha. But it seems it’s not longer available. I still have it, but cannot attest to it’s quality. Ven Sujato comments:

“But this is Ledi Sayadaw’s translation of the Apadana commentary. Sadly, it doesn’t include translations of the verses themselves.”

(Petakopadesa doesn’t have a Pali Commentary hence 05.17 cannot exist.)

The Mula Mingun Zetawun Sayadaw in 1926 wrote an atthakatha to the Peṭakopadesa. I assume it must be in Pali, since it is a atthakatha, not in Burmese.

Since you are listing quite a lot of Vamsa-literature maybe you like to include the Anagatavamsa translated by John Clifford Holt as The Sermon of the Chronicle-to-be and by Saya U Chit Tin as The Coming Buddha Ariya Metteyya.

05.05 Suttanipata Commentary

A additional commentary to this work can be found here: Association for Insight Meditation

2 Likes

Thank you Bhante :pray: that’s a lot :joy:

You know I downloaded weeks ago, but I don’t understand. Is that a modern commentary?

Please be more specific.

I read the introduction. But I don’t understand it. Did they extract the commentary from old source or it’s contents is made in modern times? The introduction is not clear about it. For me then.

I’m sorry I meant the Suttanipata Commentary :joy: @anon31486827

1 Like

Venerable, thanks so much for the list of references. It is a dense pack of information: may I suggest that it’d be more comprehensible if you formatted the list more clearly.

You may!

I’ve not heard anything like that. With copyright, the onus is on the claimed owner to notify someone. If the claim is genuine (which it often isn’t, there is a whole industry of false claimants), and if the one who publishes copyrighted material does not comply, they can then take legal action. It would take a lot to send someone to jail; I really couldn’t see that happening in Buddhism.

It is the case, however, that a Buddhist monk has been accused of copyright violations even for uncopyrighted materials, by other Buddhists. Go figure.

4 Likes

@anon31486827
Updates -

• I have removed ven. Vimalaramsi’s Anapanassati essay from the list and archive.org and added a note in the introduction.
  • I have added Petakopadesa Commentary into the Needed list. How could I forget it? I actually myself have the Pali version of it including verbatim Pali-Burmese translation.
  • Thank you for your further suggestion for non-canonical literature. Unfortunately, there is such a huge amount of these additional works and I wouldn’t like to fall into the rabbit hole of their immense quantity. Let me please stick to the non-canonical literature mentioned in the CST 4.0 software. We can possibly extend later, but not now, please. You may like to open a new topic with a list of those that are not mentioned in CST 4.0 and we can share there the translations. I myself edited the translation of Satthubimba Sutta, an important text for Rakhine people of Myanmar, which is used as a proof that the famous Maha Myat Muni Statue in Mandalay was made right in front of the living Buddha Himself. So, I am enthusiastic about this, but let’s do them separately.
  • Suttanipata Commentary added into the list and in the archive.org link.
  • added a disclaimer in the introduction that I cannot guarantee quality of any of the translations in the list.

@sujato
Thank you for the info about monks vs. copyright. So I will stop spreading the rumor… :grin:

Please, let me know how can I improve the list so it is clearer. :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Sure! I’m not sure how this applies in the Internet Archive, but anyway:

• Use list notation for lists (which I see you have done already in the note above.)
  • Never use **strong** notation for headings, always use the semantically appropriate heading. Since the topic heading is h1, always use h2 for the first-level subheadings, i.e. ## subheading.
  • NEVER WRITE ANYTHING IN ALL CAPS. Except for abbreviations!

These are general tips. In addition, the entries would benefit from a little styling to help the eye distinguish the different parts. You might also want to add some more punctuation. Perhaps:

• 01 DN 01: Brahmajala Sutta, The Discourse All Embracing Net of Views — Bhikkhu Bodhi(OCRed) (372p).pdf
  • 01 DN 02: The Fruits of Recluseship, The Samannaphala Sutta and its Commentaries — Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS-Kandy, 2008 (1989) (197p).pdf
  • 01 DN 15: Mahanidanasutta Commentary - BPS Great discourse on causation — Bhikkhu Bodhi (OCRed) (82p).pdf
  • 01 DN 16: Mahaparinibbana Sutta Commentary, The Mission Accomplished — Pategama Gnanarama Phd (236p).pdf
  • 01 DN 28: Sampasadaniyasuttavannana, Commentary on Sampasadaniya Sutta — Jnan Nanda for PhD at the University of Hong Kong, 2019 (284p).pdf

I’m not entirely convinced an extra set of numbers is needed for this. Note that in SC notation, these would be:

• DN-a 1: Brahmajala Sutta, The Discourse on the All Embracing Net of Views — Bhikkhu Bodhi(OCRed) (372p).pdf
  • DN-a 2: The Fruits of Recluseship; The Samaññaphala Sutta and its Commentaries — Bhikkhu Bodhi, BPS-Kandy, 2008 (1989) (197p).pdf
  • DN-a 15: Mahanidānasutta Commentary - The Great Discourse on Causation — Bhikkhu Bodhi (OCRed) (82p).pdf
  • DN-a 16: Mahaparinibbāna Sutta Commentary, The Mission Accomplished — Pategama Gnanarama Phd (236p).pdf
  • DN-a 28: Sampasādanīyasuttavaṇṇanā, Commentary on Sampasādanīya Sutta — Jnan Nanda for PhD at the University of Hong Kong, 2019 (284p).pdf

Tika would be DN-t.

Finally, the list could do with a careful proofreading. :pray: I’d also recommend always using the proper diacriticals.

6 Likes
  • applied heading tags, removed capitals
  • added diacriticals
  • proofread and corrected mistakes wherever spotted
  • applied styling

What else, bhante? :sun_with_face:

The link Pali Commentaries Atthakatha - English Translations Collection : The Great Atthakatha Masters and Translators : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive doesn’t turn into a clickable link in the first post. It does it here, not there… why?

1 Like

This topic would be a better fit for the Wiki category, where the OP can be edited permanently and where the community can help updating the list.

3 Likes

I would not dare to underestimate the visitors of a wiki page, but I can say for sure that those who see the list here, quite many, are amazing persons who know things I simply can never imagine to know and sometimes provide incredible references.

But we could have this list in two different places and update the other one according to the one where anything was changed.

You are most welcome to setup this list in wiki and help me with the updates. :sparkling_heart:

What I meant was to simply move this topic from Translations to Wiki category on this forum, where the first post will be editable indefinitely by you and by other members.

I don’t have much experience with the commentarial literature, but I do know some markdown and I’d be happy to help format the text, make ToC and the like.

1 Like

Moved… now, what’s next? How do I allow you or anybody else to edit?

I’ve made your first post into a wiki. You’ll see that the edit button for the first post has changed, and it now allows anyone to edit it (for new topics created in Wiki category this would be automatic).

Edit: I’ve also edited most abbreviations using this list from SuttaCentral, and rearranged headings by collections rather than accessibility (for the purposes of ToC).

Please check the edits for any errors (most were done using Regex so there are chances something went wrong), and if there’s anything not to your liking by the new format it can be reverted to the previous version (but only in bulk).

And if you have any questions regarding Markdown, please ask, I’d be glad to help.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the links at Aimwell.org are not in a good state. I don’t know if these links are simply broken or have been removed on purpose by Bhikkhu Pesala. But the link in the Suttanipata Commentary pdf includes a link to the complete, albeit unedited, text. This link does not work anymore, so the pdf is only a preview.

I still have the files from Aimwell for the atthakatha to Apadana (403 pages), Suttanipata (657 pages) and Theragatha (671 pages) all by U Lu Pe Win. In th preface to the Suttanipata-atthakatha he writes:

This Sutta Nipāta Commentary, known as the Paramatthajotikā, in two volumes, as published
by the Buddha Sāsana Council, Rangoon, in the Union of Burma, constitutes the first two books
of the second assignment of six books made to me by the Aṭṭhakathā Translation Project of Burma
in the wake of my having successfully made my dhammadāna by finishing my English translation
of the five books of Aṭṭhakathā comprising two volumes of Apadāna Aṭṭhakathā, otherwise known
as Visuddhajanaviḷāsinī, two volumes of Theragāthā Aṭṭhakathā alternatively known as
Paramatthadīpanī and one volume of Therīgāthā Aṭṭhakathā also known as Paramatthadīpanī,
within a period of three years or thereabouts, completely, with my glossary cum index each,
respectively.

Bhante, maybe since you are in Myanmar you have access to the Aṭṭhakathā Translation Project books.

I have no connection to the people who make these translations.

Would it be alright to send me all the full versions by email, to monksarana at gmail dot com? You can decide whether I’d be allowed to share it or not. I am a very trustworthy person. :grin:

Superb. Thank you so much. :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes