Please report any errors or typos!

MN 36
“Why don’t I shave off my hair and beard, dressed in ocher robes, and go forth from the lay life to homelessness?’”

Should this be
“Why don’t I shave off my hair and beard, dress in ocher robes, and go forth from the lay life to homelessness?’”

MN 38
"Consciousness is reckoned according the specific conditions dependent upon which it arises. "

I think needs to include “to”

"Consciousness is reckoned according to the specific conditions dependent upon which it arises. "

In two places 5th and 6th paragraph.

SN 45.8 Analysis

#SC 3
“And what is right view? Not knowing about suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the practice that leads to the cessation of suffering. This is called right view.”

Are you sure? :wink:

1 Like

SN 45.8 Analysis

#SC 6.2
“Avoiding killing living creatures, stealing, and sexual misconduct.”

The Pali says “abrahmacariyā veramaṇī”, not “kāmesu micchācārā veramaṇī”. This would mean one should keep celibacy, not just avoid sexual misconduct.

2 Likes

MN 129

Suppose a fool is sitting in a council hall, a street, or a crossroad, where people are discussing what is proper and appropriate. And suppose that fool is someone who kills living creatures, steals, commits sexual misconduct, lies, and uses alcoholic drinks that cause negligence. Then that fool thinks: ‘These people are discussing what is proper and appropriate. But those things are found in me and I am seen in them!’ This is the first kind of suffering and sadness that a fool experiences in the present life.

Don’t know if any error is technically involved, but I was pretty confused by this and only felt comfortable I’d understood the correct meaning when I checked Bhikkhu Bodhi.

1 Like

MN 39
“What more is there to do? You should train yourselves like this: ‘We will be committed to wakefulness. When practicing walking and sitting meditation by day, we will purifying our mind from obstacles.”

I think should be “purify”

https://suttacentral.net/sn40.10/en/sujato

Are the section dividing brackets meant to contain anything (or be there at all)?

They are found in the Pali original it seems!

1 Like

I am not sure if this belongs here (DN 2 chapter 4.1 in para 2)

“I can, great king. Well then, I’ll ask you about this in return, and you can answer as you like. What do you think, great king? _BB’s “ever on the lookout to see that you are satisfied” is not correct, see mukhaṃ ullokentī at MN 79, SN 56.39 VAR: kammakāro → kammakaro (bj, s1-3, km, pts1) VAR: mukhullokako → mukhullokiko (s1-3, km, mr)_Suppose you had a person who was a bondservant, a worker. They get up before you and go to bed after you, and are obliging, behaving nicely and speaking politely, and gazing up at your face.

1 Like

Bhante,
I just read the English translation of Vibhaṅga Sutta, SN 45.8 and found a typo error:

And what is right view? Not knowing about suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the practice that leads to the cessation of suffering. This is called right view.

I also found that mikenz66 already reported this error before.
Thanks _/_

2 Likes

MN 21:

where the metta clause happens:

We will meditate spreading a heart of love to that person. And with them as a basis, we will meditate spreading a heart full of love to everyone in the world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will.’

Tañca puggalaṃ mettāsahagatena cetasā pharitvā viharissāma, tadārammaṇañca sabbāvantaṃ lokaṃ pathavisamena cetasā vipulena mahaggatena appamāṇena averena abyābajjhena pharitvā viharissāmā’ti.

there are more in that sutta

there are similar errors with the occurrences of that metta clause, similar to above, where “heart of love” is used instead of the customized variation in the pali

1 Like

SN56.11 Ven. Sujato SN56.11 #4.2 the section on the first noble truth has:

Rebirth is suffering; old age is suffering; illness is suffering; death is suffering; sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress are suffering; association with the disliked is suffering; separation from the liked is suffering; not getting what you wish for is suffering. In brief, the five grasping aggregates are suffering.

The bold part is not found in the Pāli-version of this Sutta. Interestingly, Ven Bodhi’s translation comes without the bold part, but Ven. Ñāṇamoli’s has it.

https://suttacentral.net/an10.82/en/sujato

It is possible for a mendicant who is unethical …

It says unethical in both lists.

https://suttacentral.net/mn139/en/sujato

Don’t talk behind people backs,

people’s

1 Like

Thanks, I have fixed all these.

Fixed!

Fixed!

Sorry, no, cepi nam means “if that too”, not “that which is named”.

An errant dot, that’s all it takes! Fixed now.

Fixed!

Fixed throughout!

No, this is correct. He has already relinquished, now he amuses.

Fixed.

Fixed!

Very much so, thanks. :pray:

Thanks, I will make a bug report.

Indeed it should, I have fixed it.

Fixed!

Sure that it’s wrong, now fixed!

Thanks, fixed

Umm … I don’t know, it seems clear to me …

Fixed!

Indeed. No idea what they are doing!

This was noted above. Fixed now.

Fixed!

Fixed!

Fixed!

Fixed!

Fixed!

4 Likes

https://suttacentral.net/dn31/en/sujato#sc50

Parents served by the children in these five ways show compassion to them in five ways. 1 They keep them from doing bad. 2 They support them in doing good. 3 They train them in a profession. 4 They transfer the inheritance in good time.

Seems like there are only four

In the translation by Kelly, et al, it has

by restraining you from wrongdoing, guiding you towards good actions, training you in a profession, supporting the choice of a suitable spouse, and in due time, handing over the inheritance.

1 Like

DN 1 section 3.2.4

These are the seven grounds on which those ascetics and brahmins assert the annihilation, eradication, and extermination of an existing being. Any ascetics and brahmins who assert the annihilation, eradication, and extermination of an existing being do so on one or other of these eight grounds. Outside of this there is none.

I think it should be seven on highlighted text

1 Like

Fixed, thanks.

Fixed!

1. Typo in summary section of MN84 card: ‘regharding’ instead of ‘regarding’

2. Typo in summary section of MN151 card: ‘complexision’ instead of ‘complexion’

1 Like