Please report any errors or typos!

@Brahmali
NP 2 - Venerable, here rattaṁ’s literal translation is night.

NP 18 - Underscore error

NP 19 - Same here

NP 21 - Underscore error here as well and also pāḷi is mixed up with the English

NP 25 - the robe-clot) --> the robe-cloth

3 Likes

Here are the seven suttas having “might not be”. Some use “I”. Some use “it”.

Personally, the “it” makes more sense to me. I have always wondered about the utility of the advice “I might not be” given that a non-returner would just know that they will not be. However, “it might not be” is quite powerful advice for those on the fence between non-return and perfection. It is powerful because the “mine” sneaks into consciousness in exactly the way one bound for non-return would experience it–as subtle warning about the conceit “I am” that manifests as “perfection (i.e., it) might not be mine”.

1 Like

In MN38, the phrase “are you not speaking only” confuses me because of the negation in “not”. I do not know what the “not” pertains to or if negation is at all in effect for any part of the sentence. If the Buddha had spoken the following to me, my only answer would be silence or “huh?”. I definitely would not have answered, “Yes, sir”.

Are you not speaking only of what you have known and seen and realized for yourselves?”
“Nanu, bhikkhave, yadeva tumhākaṃ sāmaṃ ñātaṃ sāmaṃ diṭṭhaṃ sāmaṃ viditaṃ, tadeva tumhe vadethā”ti.

Given that an alternate translation of “nanu” is “certainly”, is the following statement semantically equivalent?

Are you only speaking certainly of what you have known and seen and realized for yourselves?

@sujato are you still checking this thread?

If so, in Subjects for Regular Reviewing (Abhiṇhapaccavekkhitabbaṭhāna Sutta) AN 5.57
you’ve used “review” or"reviewing" consistently throughout, but it seems a solitary “reflecting” has slipped into one verse:

6.1What is the advantage of often reflecting like this: ‘I am the owner of my deeds and heir to my deeds. Deeds are my womb, my relative, and my refuge.

3 Likes

I am still checking this thread, and in fact plan to update the translations this week some time. So thanks!

5 Likes

A tiny omission in Bhante Sujato’s translation of MN 35:

At that time several mendicants were walking meditation in the open air.
Tena kho pana samayena sambahulā bhikkhū abbhokāse caṅkamanti. [SC 7.1]

I suppose it should read ‘walking in meditation’ or ‘doing walking meditation’ (vel.sim.)

3 Likes

I remember reading this EBT phrase when I discovered and started walking meditation last year. Now my brain thinks “walking meditation” is normal English and I have absolutely no idea if it is correct or not even though I’ve tested as highly proficient in English. :laughing:

2 Likes

Thanks again.

As for ratta, the literal meaning is indeed “night”, but it is used in the same way “day” is sometimes in English. If anyone says I will be gone for two days, it refers to two 24-hour periods. In Pali ratta is used for the same purpose. So whenever a 24-hour period is intended, ratta should be translated as “day”. If you have a look at Ajahn Thanissaro’s Vinaya work, you will see he makes the same point.

4 Likes

Sometimes but now always, for example, the auspicious nights of the uposatha. When it is talked about perceiving night as it is day and day as it is night. The watches of the night. The day and nights are relentlessly passing. These are the first examples that come to mind and some of them have day and night occurring together.

If this is the perceived case then perhaps simply translating “ratta” into “24-hour period” would mitigate confusion. Since in this context “day” and “night” neither mean their actual definition. However, to keep the translation as close to the Pāli as possible “night” would be the most accurate.

Wouldn’t “24-hour period” merely replace one sort of confusion with another? I mean it might be misunderstood to mean any old nychthemeron, when the Pali in fact denotes a particular nychthemeron, namely, one that lasts from dawn to dawn.

3 Likes

Okay, you win today’s prize. Have some pancakes! :pancakes:

10 Likes

Absolutely, best to be without any kind of confusion, no? Which is why I was suggesting to translate the pāli as it is. This would encourage us to understand the rule in it’s Ancient Indian context.

Indeed and from listening to Venerable Brahmali’s Vinaya course it means just that. If you have been with your robe within a 24-hour period, one not necessarily between dawn to dawn, it is a non-offense.

Really? I hadn’t heard the rule explained that way before. I was always taught that you committed the offence if you didn’t have your three robes with you at dawn, regardless of whether you had them with you at any other time in the previous 24 hours.

2 Likes

In his defense it is reasonable and does keep the spirit of the rule (not to be away from one’s robes long enough for them to grow mold), however, it can be problematic when put into practice. And also not in accordance with the rest of Theravāda.

2 Likes

Hi, is the Thig’s numbering correct? Seeking Kisa Gotami’s verses in the Elevens group I found Uppalavanna’s there instead. Found Kisa G placed in the 10s.

I’ve got 3 translations that place Kisa G in the 11s, Uppalavanna in the 12s, and have no verses numbered in the 10s.

BTW, plz plz plz consider adding Thig (PTS’s?) verse numbers. Armed only with Kisa G’s starting verse number (#213) I was simply unable to find her on SC, searching for some time until I resorted to a printed book to find her location by # of verses.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Introduction page

Under “Parallels” in the section “Content”:

“The existence of these parallels shows the connections between of the scriptures underlying all Buddhist traditions”

… shows the connections between of the scriptures underlying all Buddhist traditions.

1 Like

That is the usual way it’s explained, at least in Thailand, stemming, I guess, from the Pubbasikkha. I haven’t looked at this question myself, but I believe @Brahmali has come to a different conclusion.

2 Likes

Yes, it definitely would be good to do. There’s just so many things! This has been an outstanding issue for some time now.

1 Like

It seems to me that the Thai practice is based on the Vibhaṅga itself, for if any 24-hour separation from the robe (e.g. 3 pm to 3 pm) is an āpatti, then what need for the Vibhaṅga’s specification of dawn as the time when the robe becomes forfeitable ?

Nissaggiyaṃ hotīti: saha aruṇuggamanā nissaggiyaṃ hoti.

Entailing relinquishment: it [i.e. the robe] becomes subject to relinquishment at dawn.

Still, I should be interested to hear Ven. Brahmali’s explanation.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply otherwise; generally speaking (as I understand it) the Pubbasikkha is closely based on the canon, although I haven’t read it myself, my Thai is not that good! But the usual avenue of learning has, at least in the forest tradition, been from the Pubbasikkha rather than study of the canonical texts themselves. Usually in the forest monasteries the Vinaya classes consist of readings from the Pubbasikkha.

That’s not always the case, of course. I remember staying in a forest monastery, just a little village in Isaan, with an old monk named Luang Po Hom. He wasn’t particularly learned, but he had a sharp mind. A visiting monk had fallen into sanghadisesa, and Luang Po had not done the procedure for years, so he checked it out in the Vinaya. He noticed that some of the things it said there were different from what he remembered doing with Ajahn Chah at Wat Pa Pong, and there was some discussion about it.

3 Likes