Questions of King Milinda Translation

Hello, I was curious whether Bhikkhu Sujato had plans to translate either this text or the Kathavattu. I’m a big fan in general of his versions, their clarity and accuracy, and given his proficiency in Pali I think both of these texts would be excellent additions to the website.

Best,
Andrew

Well, if we are making requests of Bhante @Sujato, then I have to put a word in for the Vimana and Petavatthu. Their fun and shouldn’t be too difficult to translate.

Apadāna! Patisambhidamagga! All the things!! :rofl:

I have no such plans, I’m afraid. But it would definitely be a worthy project. Not easy, though, it is a challenging text.

2 Likes

Well no, I’m not necessarily making requests, just curious if these translations were planned or ‘on the docket’, so to speak. Thanks!

1 Like

Dear Monk @sujato!

My name is Hung (Don Sa), a Vietnamese. I have created a Nikaya reading application in 3 languages: Pali, Vietnamese and English for Windows, iOS and Android platforms called Nikaya Reading. I’ve collected together a complete set of Pali and Vietnamese data sources. However, English data is not enough.

As far as I know, he translated the Nikaya from Pali into English and published it on the SuttaCentral website.

I ask your permission to use the English data source of the Nikaya that you have translated to include in the Nikaya Reading application.

This application is a completely free application for the community.

Thank you very much!

Mai The Hung (Don Sa)

(I am very sorry that I do not have your contact information, so please allow me to write in this thread)

Don’t you think you should include ‘venerable’ atleast!? Instead of ‘dear monk’? When you are referring to such an established and well honored venerable!

I don’t mean any disrespect or ill will towards you…but that’s what I felt! With metta​:pray::grin:

1 Like

Do you use directly “Monk” in your Vietnamese culture for addressing to a monk?

It’s not that big of a deal, honestly.

@DonSa, all of Bhante Sujato’s translations are in the public domain. You don’t even need to ask to use them. See this page:

https://suttacentral.net/licensing

6 Likes

I’m so sorry if some of the words make you unhappy

I wrote with respect

I’m so sorry if some of the words make you unhappy

I wrote with respect

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I have no idea how you plan on using the texts, but you may find this app helpful:

Or if you just plan to use the translations directly from the SC API, you may find this very basic app helpful as an example:

There are links to the github repos from the apps.

BTW, not all of the translations on SuttaCentral are in the public domain. To check, just click the info icon when viewing a translation on the site.

1 Like

Kindness is called for when speaking to people not speaking in their native language. I don’t know much about Vietnamese, I can certainly tell you how I could see a Thai person make a very similar mistake trying to translate phra (which means both monk and a term of respect). These Christian terms like “monk” and “venerable” are not that transparent for a non-westerner to grasp. A kind and simple correction with an explanation of how these terms work in English should suffice rather than assuming any intended disrespect.

6 Likes

I’m not sure about Vietnamese, but in Thai “monk” (พระ) is a perfectly acceptable title and probably the closest equivalent to “Venerable”

[Edit: basically +1 to what @Ulriquinho said :grin:]

4 Likes

Precisely, but even if you don’t know that… one should never assume someone means disrespect when speaking in a foreign language. Markers of politeness just aren’t universal and those things are hard to learn in another language. As someone who speaks 6 languages, I am quite sensitive to this fact and get quite annoyed when people make assumptions on what are easy mistakes to make.

(Edit: unfortunately, English is the only one I am comfortable writing in, otherwise I would be translating Ven. Sujato’s work into Portuguese or French… as my other two strong languages)

3 Likes

It’s similar in Sinaha (as I understand). Svaminwahanse, hamduru, and even sadu are all fine and mean both monk and venerable.

(@moderators, I’m not sure if starting at #6 this should be split into a new thread.)

3 Likes

Thank @Snowbird , I have read a text in licensing:
“Please let us know if you would like any assistance in making use of our materials.”

1 Like

Sorry if I sounded rude! Maybe I made wrong assumption. :grimacing:
Being Indian English isn’t my 1st language so I am lacking in words to express emotions with kindness sir! I assure you that I didn’t mean to sound rude…it was unintentional :pray:
(I usually have to edit 4-5 times when posting replies in order to not sound disrespectful…)

Again sorry if I caused you to feel that way! I didn’t mean that… its all because of my lack of enough knowledge about other cultures/languages…yes I assumed that there wasn’t maybe enough respect…but turns out I was wrong. Sorry… Thank you for kindly pointing it out!
I sincerely apologise @DonSa @Ulriquinho @Khemarato.bhikkhu :pray:

I completely got your point! It won’t happen again!

2 Likes

No worries. Looks like I made similar assumptions about you, my apologies!

2 Likes