Reading the Buddha's Discourses in Pali: A Practical Guide to the Language of the Ancient Buddhist Canon by Bhikkhu Bodhi

I’ve added your links to the OP. Thanks!

3 Likes

I have received and have been flipping through the book. Truly quite nice, but require serious studying.

One thing I notice Bhikkhu Bodhi is again emphasizing SN43, selected as the last chapter to suggest that this samyutta corresponds to the 3rd truth - the truth of the cessation of suffering.

I have always found this curious for multiple reasons. First, SN43 is a minor samyutta within SN. And if we compare with SA, the correspondence is with one sutra SA890 which Yin Shun refers to as part of the teachings of tathagatha, which is probably of slightly later period of compilation than the earliest sutra portion. And while it makes modern logical sense to talk about the path before talking the end goal of nibbana, in SN the order of the 4 truths is always suffering, its origin, its cessation, and the path leading to the cessation, in other words, “cessation” is always ordered 3rd before the path.

Personally, I do believe that SN earliest sutra portion does corresponds to the 4 truths. But I think the 2nd and 3rd truths are intended to correspond to SN12 on causation. In SN12, the basic frame (e.g. SN12.1) is to talk about both the origin AND cessation of suffering together. In other words, to highlight Buddha’s original teaching structure of the 4 truths in SN, I don’t believe a specific section on SN43 is really needed.

1 Like

Just a minor note: In 1994, Skilling reported that better parallels can be found in the commentaries preserved by the Tibetan tradition. So, SN43 is attested by the northern parallels, if not very solidly by the agamas.

1 Like

Several years ago Bhikkhu Bodhi sent me an email in response to a query about a useful order in which to study the SN. He certainly mentioned SN12 as key to the second and third truth:

8 Likes

I received a hard copy today and, going by first impressions, I am hugely impressed. This will no doubt become the standard reader for students of the language.

Particularly noteworthy is the layout of each textual excerpt: Pali text segment, word-for-word English rendering, English translation; grammatical notes.

I was fortunate to study Pali at University with a wonderful teacher, but after nearly 20 years my knowledge is more than a little rusty! I’m looking forward to getting properly stuck into this book.

May the Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi and all those involved in this project reap much merit :pray: May it help lead all who read it on towards the final goal, nibbāna

16 Likes

What level of student would you recommend it for? I’m a total beginner. Thank you!

6 Likes

This is not the book for you. I would grade it as advanced. There is, however, a fair bit of vocab and grammar support in the notes, which means it isn’t too intimidating.

3 Likes

From the preface:

I haven’ seen the body of the text yet, so I can’t say either way. I wonder if @Leon or @Pamirs could take some photos of the inside and post them.

3 Likes

Hi,

Here’s what Ven Bodhi says in the preface (viii):

One thing this book is not intended to be is a Pāli primer. While I offer a brief overview of Pali grammar and syntax, I do not provide detailed lessons in Pāli grammar in its own right…Those who want to learn Pāli grammar should turn to the books I used in the earlier two courses.

Since there are no grammar tables, the work cannot be used as a standalone text for studying Pali, even by those with a good existing knowledge of Indo-European languages.

However, the grammatical notes to each sutta excerpt really do hold the beginner’s hand and walk them through the texts, and include references to Duroiselle, Perniola etc.

I would say that if you have a basic understanding of the nominal and finite systems in Pali (e.g. you understand the case and number system and know where to look up say ant- stem declensions, and you understand tense and mood and stem formations), then that is quite sufficient to begin using the book productively.

Edit: @Snowbird (apologies for pic quality):

4 Likes

No no, the photo is perfect. It looks wonderful!

2 Likes

Start here!

4 Likes

That rides on this.

5 Likes

This book is Bhikkhu Bodhi’s level three textbook. You can find his level one course and level two course at OBU. (And I’ll be sure to post this book as the Level 3 course if and when Bhikkhu Bodhi publishes his lectures.)

10 Likes

@owl

3 Likes

Wow thank you to like… 10 people (!) For your helpful responses for beginner Pali resources. I know where to go as I start learning :smiley:

4 Likes

I am a total newbie, too, and I am grateful for the resources listed on this thread! @owl - thank you for asking the question :slight_smile: I didn’t have to start a new thread on this topic!

3 Likes

You may find this helpful too:

3 Likes

@Gillian Wow! Thank you. I just bookmarked this reply - these will keep me occupied for quite sometime! I especially appreciate the inclusion of a different Pali Dictionary. I downloaded one from the Bodhi Monastery site, and this one you’ve shared here is a different one. It will be interesting to see the differences and similarities.

This is a totally newbie question, but is Pali language still in use somewhere in the world or is it an antiquity of the past like latin? I’ve studies extinct languages, so it’s not a biggie for me if Pali is one of such languages. I’m just curious…

1 Like

It’s like Latin.
If you ever studied Latin you’ll find starting Pali a little bit easier.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s good to know. I’ve never studied Latin, but English is my second language. I studied classical Chinese from Han dynasty and Japanese from 3rd century and from 10th century.

1 Like