Reading the Buddha's Discourses in Pali: A Practical Guide to the Language of the Ancient Buddhist Canon by Bhikkhu Bodhi

This book is Bhikkhu Bodhi’s level three textbook. You can find his level one course and level two course at OBU. (And I’ll be sure to post this book as the Level 3 course if and when Bhikkhu Bodhi publishes his lectures.)

10 Likes

@owl

3 Likes

Wow thank you to like… 10 people (!) For your helpful responses for beginner Pali resources. I know where to go as I start learning :smiley:

4 Likes

I am a total newbie, too, and I am grateful for the resources listed on this thread! @owl - thank you for asking the question :slight_smile: I didn’t have to start a new thread on this topic!

3 Likes

You may find this helpful too:

3 Likes

@Gillian Wow! Thank you. I just bookmarked this reply - these will keep me occupied for quite sometime! I especially appreciate the inclusion of a different Pali Dictionary. I downloaded one from the Bodhi Monastery site, and this one you’ve shared here is a different one. It will be interesting to see the differences and similarities.

This is a totally newbie question, but is Pali language still in use somewhere in the world or is it an antiquity of the past like latin? I’ve studies extinct languages, so it’s not a biggie for me if Pali is one of such languages. I’m just curious…

1 Like

It’s like Latin.
If you ever studied Latin you’ll find starting Pali a little bit easier.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s good to know. I’ve never studied Latin, but English is my second language. I studied classical Chinese from Han dynasty and Japanese from 3rd century and from 10th century.

1 Like