Report bugs for the new site here! 🐛

If you are enquiring about MN 135, go to that suttaplex on
https://suttacentral.net/mn135’ or scroll to it through the menu.

Then you see the translation and on the right a green round badge that says ‘17’ next to a dropdown-icon. That means there are 17 parallels and when you click on that icon you get to see them.

But just to make it easy, I’ve copied the table below:

mn135 Cūḷakammavibhaṅga Sutta Cūḷakammavibhaṅga Sutta
mn135 d338 ལས་རྣམ་པར་འབྱེད་པ།
ma170 鸚鵡
sht-sutta67
t755 淨意優婆塞所問
t78 兜調
t79 鸚鵡
t80 佛為首迦長者說業報差別
t81 分別善惡報應
kf10
ma152 鸚鵡
mn99 Subha Sutta
sf76
sf85
sf87
sf88
sf98
mn135#3 mil3.4.4#2 Kammanānākaraṇapañha
2 Likes

Is there a way to go to those suttaplex pages through the menu? Through the menu I can get to, for example,
SuttaCentral
or
SuttaCentral
The “copy link” gives me the suttaplex address, but I can’t see how I would get to it by navigation.

Conversely, if I’m in a translation or a suttaplex (which I may have got to by following a parallel), I don’t see a way of getting back to a higher level.

E.g. if I am at MN135, is there a way of getting to the MN list?

These are minor points, and I may be not fully conversant with the interface, but, naively, it seems to me that a few more objects should have links, e.g. if I’m seeing:

The Shorter Analysis of Deeds
Cūḷakammavibhaṅga Sutta MN 135 MN iii 202

Then clicking on the title might take us to the SuttaPlex, clicking on MN might take us to the MN index, and so on.

1 Like

The navigation is via the sidebar, which is always accessible. So you can go from a text page to wherever that way.

I don’t want to introduce other navigation paths, as things are mighty complicated and adding more layers of complication means more code, more bugs, and slower response.

Think of the suttaplex as an entity, not a page. So yes, you can get to that entity through the sidebar menu, where it will appear as part of a list of similar entities. Each suttaplex additionally has its own URL so you can link to it individualy, but you can’t navigate to a single suttaplex.

I’m not sure why you’d want to, though. The suttaplex is in the list, it’s at the top of every text page, and you can also get it just by writing the ID in the URL.

We have thought of making the sidebar responsive, so that if you had a sutta open, the sidebar would automatically open to the same level. But the problem with that is that it assumes we can second-guess the intentions of the user.

These things are always more complicated than we imagine. For example, if we go back to a “higher level”, what level do we go to? The vagga? The pannasa? The nikaya? There might be good reasons for a user to want to go to any of these levels. By forcing that choice on them we might make it easier for some, harder for others.

That’s why generally, I prefer to keep the site elements static and predictable, and let the user control them. The sidebar is incredibly powerful and flexible as a navigation tool, and I’d like to see users learn its full potential before introducing anything else.

1 Like

So far it’s only D&D and only in the editor. I get the display issues above when using Material Design but not Legacy . Chrome Version 65.0.3325.146 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Ubuntu 16.04.4

Then on Firefox 58.0.2 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 16.04.4 when using the editor, I can’t click on any of the editing tools. They are unresponsive no matter what theme I use.

It’s a brand new Ubuntu install so there may be something on my end that I’m not aware of. I’ll let you know if I figure anything out.

1 Like

Just figured out the Firefox issue with the editor. It was the Grammarly plug-in :disappointed_relieved: Something to keep in mind if the issue comes up again.

Still not sure about the Chrome issue. I’m not using any extensions there and it is a fresh install.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know.
There is also an issue with Lastpass plugin on Firefox.

If it persists on Chrome maybe switch to legacy again for the time being. I have no clue what this could be right now because I cannot reproduce it on a similar system. But will keep it in mind.

1 Like

Yes. That is the sort of thing I was thinking of. If I have navigated to a parallel it would be useful to have an option of opening the sidebar in that context. If one has used parallels to go from AN to MA, for example, it is not straightforward to know how to navigate there at a later time.

I suggested being able to click on, for example, the sutta label to get the navigation bar to change. There may be a more elegant solution.

2 Likes

Maybe, if there’s some explicit user action to show the navigation context, hmm, that might work. But navigation for us is complicated, so any fix in this area will be not easy. For now, some of the basic navigation is still not 100% so we will focus on that.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I also seem to be great at finding bugs where there are none (read something similar from another user here :grin:).

Google Chrome: Version 64.0.3282.186 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)
Ubuntu: 16.04 LTS

2 Likes

Sure, I realise there will be a lot to get sorted with the launch of a new platform! In part, some of the complaints (from me and others) will go away once we get used to the interface.

1 Like

Hi Venerables
I realised I was posting in the wrong place.
iOS 10.3.3 iPhone 5s
On Chrome 65.0.3325.152 and Safari for ios10.3.3 I just get a white screen.

iOS is up to 11.2 and theoretically supported by my phone but it’s saying no updates available.

2 Likes

SC seems to be working find on Safari on my IPhone 6s on iOS 11.2.5. I would have liked DD to have notification signs (numbers in circles) in red over the profile picture, to be in line with other apps. :slight_smile:

It’s also working fine on Firefox and Chrome, on my phone, but every so slightly slow to load (just a second’s gap) even with full reception on 4G- no biggie though.

With metta

1 Like

The search isn’t working quite well

Searching on sn12.65 gets me the right sutta.

Searching on sn 12.65 ( white space between ) does not.

Using sn:12:65 with a space or not does not get me the sutta

1 Like

We are aware of the problem and are working on it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi, I would like to know if there is any way to adjusting the size of the text shown when opening SC from my Android phone’s Chrome browser. Is it linked to the system’s text size setting?

Sorry I have no idea how that works. Is the default size too big or small?

A little bit to big, to me at least. :slight_smile:

Did you try Chrome’s text size setting in Settings > Accessibility?

1 Like

Not a bug report but more feature requests/suggestions…

The old SC had a nice little menu at the bottom:

Are there any plans to bring something like that back? Also, I don’t see a link to this forum on the SC site. I think this would be a good thing to have as the Pali texts are confusing to a beginner and this is the place to ask for help. It’s also the place for discourse and discussion on those texts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did change the setting but nothing changed in terms of how the site is rendered.
Bhante @sujato , would it be possible to choose between small, medium and large font size?