SuttaCentral 2021: bug reports here! šŸ›

Hi @animitto

This is working fine for me, but some things did not work very well until I cleared my cache and cookies.

Hello Bhante @sujato,

Just a minor point on the dictionaries. The word, paį¹­isaį¹ƒvedeti is listed under paį¹­isaį¹vedeti (į¹ƒ vs. į¹). The latter does not occur in the online edition at my disposal. (I still canā€™t search for Pali words in Pali texts on SuttaCentral. The University of Chicago PED lists the word as Paį¹­isaŋvedeti, which corresponds to paį¹­isaį¹ƒvedeti

David.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure how to check staging to see if the fix is live somewhere other than https://suttacentral.net/ but I can share that on https://suttacentral.net/subjects that Iā€™m not seeing the references under Chrome 89.0.4389.90, Firefox 86.0.1, or Safari 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.7). It does seem to the be display: none issue referenced in github issue 2079 because if I go into any sort of developer tool and click that off the references appear.

3 Likes

Many Thanks Heath :slight_smile:

Sorry to be so ā€˜non-techā€™, but does this mean there is a glitch that needs to be fixed, or that it is something I can adjust from my end :pray: :slight_smile:

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, huge kudos on the new release of SC! :grinning:

I did a little video demo of SC 2021 on my latest video Dhamma Talk (starting when you fast forward in 1:15):

Iā€™m using Firefox 86 on Ubuntu Linux.

The not-so-smoothness began at 4:28 in. I encountered a few small bugs, as I stumbled around navigating my way to SN 47.8.

The most annoying bug (see 6:33 in) was a horizontal scrollbar which becomes invisible unless you magically know to hover your mouse over it, or change the mouse focus to a different window.

Clicking on the reference MahācÅ«įø·Ätepiį¹­akaį¹, 1960ā€“1990 doesnā€™t do anything, at least not for DN 1 or bhikkhu-pārājika 1.

1 Like

No, there is nothing you can really do to fix anything. The use of a developer tool is just a quick manual hack that would have to be done each time the page is reloaded. The Sutta references are there but theyā€™re not visible. Thereā€™s probably some bit of CSS thatā€™s gone wonky that the dev team will need to figure out.

2 Likes

Am I the only one having issues returning anything in search from the suttas or vinaya from Vens. Sujato or Brahmali? For example, if I search ā€œreedsā€, I should receive results of SN 12.67 from both Bodhi and Sujato (among others), but now I am receiving only Bodhi. I am also not able to get any results from the Vinaya in search. My apologies if this has already been addressed. Of course I could always do the trick of searching through Google, but I figured you all would want to be aware.

2 Likes

Hi @Heath, welcome to the forum!

You can find staging site at this address: https://staging.suttacentral.net/

2 Likes

I just wanted to report that I donā€™t get proper search results on SuttaCentral. A search for ā€œwristsā€ should return 9 results from Bhante Sujatoā€™s Sutta translations, however the only results I see are 2 Jatakas.

Search for ā€œroot of sufferingā€ still returns 7966 results, many of which have nothing to do with what I am after.

And I donā€™t find a single instance of a translation by Sujato (actually, there should be 7).

2 Likes

Same hear. I do realize there have been issues with the search function in the past, but when it was fully functional, Ven. Sujatoā€™s translations would always be available. Still leaves the question of why nothing from Ven. Brahmali seems to be available via search either. Hopefully it is a quick fix.

2 Likes

Works on staging. Thank you for showing me where to find it. Didnā€™t check all the instances I mentioned but it now works in one of the places it hadnā€™t been working before.

2 Likes

At present, the text from ā€˜bilaraā€™ is not indexed and I am processing it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I canā€™t seem to use search at all. It thinks Iā€™m offline.

Hey Anum, can you tell me what system and browser you are using? :pray:

2011 MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan with Google Chrome.

I wondered if it might be related to having tried to download SC Offline.

Even though I finally got the app, I can only get through to pages that I have previously viewed. I canā€™t find the files for the suttas themselves even though I watched the download bar showing progress of having downloaded them.

Even when I closed the app, then went via the usual browser, I still couldnā€™t use the search function.

Wasnā€™t rectified by a whole system restart either.

I remember the last version of SC being especially difficult to get going offline and I just canā€™t remember how we fixed it.

Very glad and lucky to be able to use the beautiful new SC! :pray: :pray: :pray: Thank you for this miracle of our times _/_

sure this tiny one can be for later but jotting down in case i forget
The Pali in Sinhala may have caught a new phrase here and there
<ą·ƒą·Šą¶“ą¶±ą·Š ą¶ ą·Šą¶½ą·ƒą·Šą·ƒą·Š=ā€˜ą¶ ą·œą¶‹ą¶±ą·Šą¶­ą·™ą¶»ą·Šā€™ ą¶­ą·’ą¶­ą·Šą¶½ą·™=ā€˜ą¶ ą·œą¶‹ą¶±ą·Šą¶­ą·™ą¶»ą·Šā€™>1
Noticed on AN 7.52 today, viewing the Pali in Sinhala alongside Bhante Sujatoā€™s translation. using windows 10, chrome 89.0.4389.90

Grateful to have the dhamma-vinaya at fingertips _/_

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback :pray:

This may be the reason for the cache, we have improved the caching strategy in the new version and you can visit staging.suttacentral.net to see if it works.

2 Likes

Hello Bhante @sujato,

You post, elsewhere:

However, many important entries in the CPED are omitted from the NCPED. Especially important are missing word forms, e.g., verb forms. prefixed entries, and compounds. Perhaps a long-term goal would be to review the CPED against the NCPED. I am willing to help with this, although it would take me some time. The review should endure consistent conventions (abbreviations, grammatical terms, etc.)

David.

2 Likes

The dictionary lookup no longer lowers the case in URLs. This is a problem since copying and pasting is a common use case, and many word instances have an initial capital letter. For example, consider the following URL: https://suttacentral.net/define/Akusala.

2 Likes