SuttaCentral 2021: bug reports here! šŸ›

Everything is great now :grin: :pray:

2 Likes

Not really a bug, but I wonder about the layout design for numbering when I turn on ā€œReferences - Mainā€

The numbering appears on separate lines, which is not ideal for reading.

The unsegmented translations have their labels without a line break:

I think the reason the Bilara texts are like that is because they have many many more possible ids. So when you have several turned on it looks like this:

And in that case it probably is easier to read with them being on their own line.

1 Like

This is relatively minor but shouldnā€™t be too hard to fix.

When using the dictionary click to look up, when you click the (?) help icon it pops up help info. If you then close the dictionary and reopen it, the help popup is still there:
DictionaryHelpBoxClosing
I would have expected it to close.
Two even smaller related issues are that there is no padding in the help box (on both FF & chrome) and clicking outside the help box does not close it, which is the common behaviour of modals.

Different problem with the dictionary lookup, Itā€™s possible to scroll though the words by clicking on the prev/next buttons (which by the way donā€™t really look like buttons to me) and eventually no longer be able to see the word you are defining in the text on the screen.

scrollingThroughDictionary
I realize this may be a difficult problem to solve. The expected behaviour (for me) would be that the sutta text would scroll so that whatever word being defined would be present on the screen.

1 Like

The New Concise Pali English Dictionary definition for poį¹…kha is ā€œErr:509ā€.

https://suttacentral.net/define/poį¹…kha

Indeed. Iā€™m aware of the issue, and will look into ways of improving it. These days, there is much that is possible with CSS grid!

Meh, seems fine to me. Our general philosophy is to avoid doing things unless requested by the user.

Hmm yes some bug has crept in.

Yeah, weā€™ll fix it if we get around to it. FYI, that box was built by yours truly by invoking the dark magicks of HTML hackery. ā€œClick outside to close itā€ implies a level of programming sophistication to which I have yet to aspire!

Hmm, there are half a dozen of these malformed entries, I shall fix them.

FYI, there are 23,901 entries in NCPED!

3 Likes

A really, terribly minor bug, but the ā€œInfoā€ for the Sildarin translation of the Metta Sutta is currently:

175#8j1D2R wƌ xj#2#7`BjR.
1Gp`N 82%P7E5% e7t^ @ xRPjdT 175#8j1D`B5^ wƌ @ t#7Er#1D`B 8x#P9`C-

Perhaps this was supposed to be displayed in the Sildarin font?

1 Like

Yeah, there is no Unicode spec for Sindarin, it might surprise you to know! Iā€™m honestly surprised that it took so long to show up a bug on these. Iā€™ll make a low priority issue!

1 Like

SubhÅ«tisutta Ud 6.7 has ā€œSariputtaā€ as the subject where it should be ā€œSubhÅ«tiā€
Subhūtisutta

Ud 6.7 PTS Ud 71 PTS Ud 71

Ven. Subhūti meditates.

Now at that time Venerable Sāriputta was sitting not far from the Buddha cross-legged, with his body straight, having attained the immersion free of placing the mind. Tena kho pana samayena āyasmā subhÅ«ti bhagavato avidÅ«re nisinno hoti pallaį¹…kaį¹ ābhujitvā ujuį¹ kāyaį¹ paį¹‡idhāya avitakkaį¹ samādhiį¹ samāpajjitvā.

1 Like

Warm greetings Bhante and team. Just now I upgraded to MacOS Monterey operating system, and the search function in Sutta Central stopped working. It gives the message: interface:connectToInternet.

All other aspects of Sutta Central are working fine. Any tips would be appreciated, with metta, Ayya Sobhana

Hi Ayya, did you try a hard refresh? (Hongda recently did an upgrade, perhaps the cache got confused.)

Today it is working. Thank you Bhante!

1 Like

I have been going through the Nibbāna Sermons, and opening up the full sutta references or terms cited by Ven Ƒanananda, and sort of noodling around them. So far, Sutta Central is the best and easiest source. Other best complementary sources: Coneā€™s dictionaries, Bhikkhu Bodhiā€™s Sutta Nipata translation, Pasanna Cittaā€™s translations of Nettipakarana and Patisambhidamagga; and related essays of Bhikkhu Analayo.

3 Likes

Hi Ayya, Thank you for reminding us.
I presume youā€™re also using Bhikkhu Analāyoā€™s notes on the Nibbana Sermons: Bhikkhu Anālayo Lectures
Since I worked through that material a few years ago, we have the recent translations by Bhikkhu Bodhi, Bhikkhu Sujato, and also Bhikkhu Nyanadipa Ven. Ƒāį¹‡adÄ«pa Mahāthera: The Silent Sages of Old [PDF] ā€“ Path Press and itā€™s great to have the variety.

On Firefox, the internal page links to ids donā€™t work. For example

https://suttacentral.net/subjects?lang=en#gradual
https://suttacentral.net/subjects?lang=en#h

The url in the browser changes but the page does not go to that id. This appears to be the case for all of the indexes.

1 Like

They work just fine for me, try a hard refresh.

Ah, sorry. Now it works.

1 Like

When using the dictionary panel, itā€™s actually not possible to fully scroll down to the bottom of the page:

Tagging @sujato and @HongDa

2 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™m seeing footer content interrupting search results about a scroll and a half down.

(MBP 2020, OSX 12.0.1, Chrome 100.0.4896.88)

Hi Sean,
This was fixed yesterday I think. So you might need to do a hard refresh. :+1:

2 Likes