SuttaCentral: bug reports

It’s still the same.

However :astonished: in Chrome they are simply italic!

I actually missed the fact that you were talking about Pali words inside English text. Because in the first screen shot you shared, the font of the Pali line is also much smaller. Compare it to the shot I shared. So there seems to be something going wrong with how all Pali is displayed.

I have inspected the html/css and can’t figure out what is going on. But my guess is that it has to do with using lang='pli'. If you remember in our conversation about the Vinaya book files I came across a simmilar issue. I think that the two different browsers deal with that lang element slightly differently. If you wanted to try, you could remove the value on one of those words and see if it changes back to the proper size.

1 Like

When viewing the following page on my 10 month old up to date Android mobile using Brave browser and chrome browser, the page in vertical format did not adjust and resize to the screen dimensions and it is fixed in the middle of the page and can’t scroll left or right as the text bleed to left and right. In another words, the page was not responsive. See photo attached below.

https://suttacentral.net/dn29/en/sujato?lang=en&layout=linebyline&reference=none&notes=sidenotes&highlight=false&script=latin

I really don’t feel confident to dive into CSS adventures. :laughing:

The one time I had used Stylus in my browser I copied something Bhante Sujato had shared; it was for the legacy SC site which I am not using any more for a long time. When something else complained about too many extensions in my browser I removed Stylus and haven’t used it ever since.

So I’ll probably live with small Pali words in Vinaya texts—I don’t remember having seen this in a Sutta text.

I just noticed that the old logo seems to be broken:

@HongDa, would this be a good opportunity to try the one that @Clarity created?

2 Likes

Thanks, Ven. @Snowbird, this problem has been fixed!

At the same time, I also updated the SC logo created by @Clarity, The design is captivating and the attention to detail is evident, thanks!

2 Likes

Looks great now. No more lines where they shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

Thanks clarity for the logo update. As for why the bugs appeared in the old logo, that would be because I made it and I have no idea what I am doing!

The new logo looks good, but it is 21.3kb, whereas the old one is 1.9 kb. The small size is because it is a simple shape that is rotated and repeated, rather than defining each line separately. But that is also what apparently causes the problems.

Fortunately we have the awesome SVG OMG, which reduces the size to 7.5kb, gzipped to about 3kb. I’ve added this to our icons file.

Here it is:

sc-logo-v2-optimized.zip (3.2 KB)

There was also a bug in display, where the logo was miscolored; this was a CSS problem, it seems to be fixed already.

4 Likes

In SN 35.232 https://suttacentral.net/sn35.232/de/sabbamitta?lang=de&layout=plain&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin there is a paragraph break in the middle of a sentence, when you have monolingual view with no segment IDs.

It’s the same for en/sujato. The paragraph break is at a segment break, but paragraphs should perhaps still complete a sentence in one and the same paragraph.

Looks like the issue is here:

1 Like

Thanks for finding it. @HongDa, can you have a look please?

2 Likes

Got it , let me check it :pray:

1 Like

Bhante @sujato
It seems like we just need to adjust the position of the </p> tag?

1 Like

I think the paragraph break in this place should be simply removed.

1 Like

Bhante Sujato’s translation of AN 9.1 isn’t accessible on SuttaCentral.

I was hoping to print this sutta in Pali and English, but for some reason AN 9.1 isn’t available. AN 9.2 and 9.3 are fine.

Here’s the First fifty suttas of the Nines:

And this is the page that loads when I click on the Bhikkhu Sujato translation:
suttacentral.net/an9.1?view=normal&lang=en

The back button no longer works at this point. I’m using Windows 11. The problem manifests as described above in Chrome 120.0.6099.71 and Firefox 120.0.1. Edge 120.0.2210.61 shows an interface:dataLoadError page. Please investigate this glitch when you get the chance. Thanks much.

1 Like

This is strange indeed!

I have normally website language set to DE (German), and there I see it listed on the Sutta card under “translations in other modern languages”:

From there I can open it just normally: https://suttacentral.net/an9.1/en/sujato?lang=de&layout=linebyline&reference=main&notes=sidenotes&highlight=true&script=latin

Bhante @Sujato and @HongDa ?

I can confirm that when language is set to German, the link to the sutta works. When set to English even a direct link to Bhante Sujato’s translation redirects to Ajahn Thanissaro’s.

When I use the SC light app, it treats the citation as if it is invalid.

But the API seems to return the data:

https://suttacentral.net/api/bilarasuttas/an9.1/sujato

2 Likes

Since it was normal both locally and in staging, I deleted the data on the production server and reloaded it, and the problem was fixed. :pray:

https://suttacentral.net/an9.1/en/sujato?lang=en&layout=plain&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin&v=1

2 Likes

Thank you for investigating and fixing this problem so quickly. I can confirm that AN 9.1 is working again.

3 Likes

Hi Kaccana,

Welcome to the D&D forum! We hope you enjoy the various resources, FAQs, and previous threads. You can use the search function for topics and keywords you are interested in. Forum guidelines are here: Forum Guidelines. May some of these resources be of assistance along the path.

If you have any questions or need further clarification regarding anything, feel free to contact the moderators by including @moderators in your post or a PM.

Regards,
suaimhneas (on behalf of the moderators)

1 Like