The King in the Forest: The Buddha's Teachings to King Pasenadi Kosala

A new anthology made possible through the genrosity of Bhante @sujato and all the good folks at SuttaCentral.net.

It’s available as a Kindle and EPUB now. PDF will come soon.

Please post any typos in this thread. If they are problems in the translation, please post them as well to the main typo thread.

17 Likes

Wonderful idea for an anthology! @Snowbird if we come across any typos and such, would you like us to drop you a note?

Of course, please post typos. What would the internet be if people couldn’t crowdsource proofreading!

1 Like

Once again, excellent anthology! I only noticed a couple things:

1. A possible typo in MN 87 that I just posted here because it’s in the sutta translation itself.
  2. After the table of contents, when you include the copyright notices, the word released is doubled—under the copyright for the Udana translation.
  3. Very minor: I noticed in the title formatting that you put a period after the sutta number followed by the English title (for example, SN 3:23. The World) But, for AN 5:49, AN 10:30, and Ud 6.2, you leave it out (hence we have AN 5:49 The King of Kosala).
  4. Even more minor: You use a period in Ud 6.2 but the rest of the suttas use the colon formatting, e.g. SN 44:1
2 Likes

Wonderful catches.
I switched Udana translations at the lats minute ( actually forgot I had used a third translator) so that’s why those things happened.
And I totally forgot to do the detailed review of the TOC that would have caught those darned periods. I should probably just give them all up. Little trouble makers.
Thanks!!!

1 Like

I was wondering if some attempt might be made at putting the stories in chronological order.

I realize that this is completely impossible to do with certainty, yet DhpA47 (“Prince Pasenadi”) surely comes before his ascension, and I guess the testing out of the Buddha in Ud 6.2 should come before the going for refuge in SN 3:1… Perhaps with help from the commentaries a stab might be made at a comprehensive chronology?

Hi!
Thanks for the wonderful anthology - I’m looking forward to reading it!

I downloaded the az3 (for kindle) version and sent it to my kindle using the official send-to-kindle personal document service from my email. Soon I got the following error message:

Dear Customer,

The following document, sent at 08:22 AM on Mon, Nov 11, 2019 GMT could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified:

• TheKingInTheForest.azw3

The Kindle Personal Document Service can convert and deliver the following types of documents:
Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
HTML (.htm, .html)
Text (.txt) documents
Archived documents (zip , x-zip) and compressed archived documents
Mobi book

Images that are of type JPEGs (.jpg), GIFs (.gif), Bitmaps (.bmp), and PNG images (.png).
Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents are delivered without conversion to Kindle DX, Second Generation and Latest Generation Kindles.

Adobe PDF (.pdf) can be converted to Kindle format and delivered on an experimental basis.

If the document that failed belonged to one of the above document types, please ensure the document is not password protected or encrypted. Note that the Latest Generation Kindles support password protected PDFs.

No worries - I downloaded the Epub version and used an online Send epub to kindle service to get the document across. :laughing:

Oh no. You can’t use the send to kindle for actual kindle files. I realize that seems kind of crazy, but its for “documents”. And technically it’s a conversion service, so since this doesn’t need converting, it doesn’t work.

In this book it doesn’t really matter so much because it is small, but you will get a much better formatted book if you plug your kindle into a computer and just copy it over into the Documents directory. Many people don’t realize you can do that if they only ever had used Kindle books from the amazon store. I’m curious, are you not able to plug your kindle into a computer?

I don’t have a way to test it now, but you used to be able to use the “experimental browser” to download azw3 files directly onto the device.

In today’s WiFi/ Bluetooth world, I had sort of forgotten about sideloading the Kindle via USB. :grin: :blush:
Mostly, I use my desktop or phone to download interesting PDF/ mobi/ e-pub books and then send them across to the Kindle by email.
I’m enjoying the book … I love the way you’ve managed to give the prose an old storybook feel, while still being faithful to the original suttas.

Ahh. Sorry if it wasn’t clear… This is only an anthology of Bhante @Sujato’s translations. Also one by Anandajoti Bhante. And the commentary story is by Burlingame. All the merit belongs to them. In an ebook it isn’t quite as easy to make that clear. I’m very open to suggestions for how to do that without having it seem like the derived work is theirs.

One thing special about this collection is that they are all stories.

SN 3:18. Good Friends

Translated by Bhikkhu Sujato

At Sāvatthī. Seated to one side, King Pasenadi…

Yes, indeed! It’s just the way you’ve arranged them, and perhaps my own expectations stemming from reading what I see as a new Kindle book that gave me the Feeling and Perception that I was reading a fresh translation! Such is the magician’s trick of the Conditioned! :rofl: :laughing: :pray:

Well, that’s the obvious way to make it clear, isn’t it. :slight_smile:

I guess I thought that since 95% were by him it would get to be a little much. Especially in the Kosala samyutta. I also didn’t want to be constantly reminding the reader that they were reading a translation. But yes, what you suggest may be the only way to do it.

As far as putting them in chronological order, I didn’t feel it was worth it. I especially wanted to put the suttas first and the commentary stories last. I don’t have easy (or any) access to the sutta commy, so I’m not sure I would be the one to do it in any case.

However, if someone wanted to take that on, I’d be happy to put an appendix listing what can be figured out. I could put some kind of intro that mentioned what would possibly be earlier chronologically, but since it is obvious that in some Pasenadi has little faith and others he has great faith, I didn’t think it was necessary.

1 Like

After you’ve finished reading, sure, but I agree with @faujidoc1 that the strength of the anthology is its “storybook” feel, which would be accentuated by arranging them into a narrative arc. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the invitation, but yeah, I’m lazy :joy: so I guess this will have to wait for someone with more time and motivation :smile:

I’ll take a look and see how I might improve by noting chronology.

Folk who like this may also enjoy…

Now that Bhante Sujato has translated the Udana, I replaced the translation of Ud 6.2 by Ajahn Thanissaro with his.

3 Likes