Translation of dhāraṇī sūtra parallel to pāli sutta

Hi! I am new to the forum.

I have been working on a translation of the deva king vaiśravaṇa sūtra, which is Taisho #1245. I do not know Chinese so I took a Malay translation I found on the web and put it in Google Translate, then used my own knowledge of Sanskrit terms and phrasing to make it readable. I am looking for a place to share this work I’ve done and make this text accessible in English, even if it is imperfect. I would be grateful if there was someone who knew Chinese and could proofread it before I upload it to the web. Like many sūtras it states that there is great merit in copying and sharing the text! It provides protection against eight types of non-human beings.

I realize it is far from the quality of the translations provided on SuttaCentral, but at the very least I think many will find it interesting to see the development of the dhāraṇī genre. If anyone could proofread it I would be grateful, or at the very least redirect me to another website or translation project which might be interested in working on it with me. If not, I can upload it as it is. :sweat_smile:

:pray: :pray: :pray:

4 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @BuddhaBuddy !
I am sure you can upload a version of your translation here in this thread and get valuable input from our many knowledgeable users. The more background info you can input at the onset, the clearer it will be for those reading your translations
(methods/technologies used, terms that you had issues with etc.).

If you have any other questions about the forum you can also post it on this thread or send a PM to @helpdesk-dd for technical assistance or @moderators for advice on anything you aren’t sure of.

All the best!
Ficus

3 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I will upload it shortly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am having trouble uploading it, it says new users cannot upload attachments. Is there any way I can get around this or another method?

Yes, you cannot upload certain files like text files. But can you just copy and paste the text in here? Maybe in parts( labelled as such) ? Let’s try that first.
EDIT: regular users can only upload jpg, jpeg, png, gif, mp3, ogg, pdf, epub) NOT zip files :slight_smile:

1 Like

INTRODUCTION

《佛說毘沙門天王經》
sūtra of the deva king vaiśravaṇa
(T. № 1245)

西天譯經三藏朝散大夫試鴻臚卿傳教大師臣法天奉 詔譯

Translated from Sanskrit into Chinese by royal order by tripiṭakācārya dharmadeva;
The great master of transmitting dharma;
A translator of the scriptures from the West;

Translated from Chinese into Malay at;

A rough translation of the Malay text into English;
By devout layperson Phoenix MacRae-Therien;
Questions and criticism welcome, feel free to PM!

Forward by Phoenix MacRae-Therien
I am pleased to present a text never before translated into English! This was done for personal use as well as to share with friends; therefore this should NOT be cited as a literary source, although sharing is encouraged.

The oldest version belongs to the pāli canon under the title ‘āṭānāṭiya sutta’, in the dīghanikāya (DN32). This may make it one of the earliest texts to employ chanting as a method of practice. It is important to note that this evolved out of a text designated for the śrāvakayana audience, opposed to the later texts putting emphasis on the bodhisattvayana.

Interestingly, this text has no parallel version in the āgama category of the taishō tripiṭaka, unlike most others. Instead, it is listed under a different name, in the esoteric category as sūtra of the deva king vaiśravaṇa. This version also makes an appearance in the kangyur under the kriyātantra class due to its inclusion of mantra. From the differences one can see the evolution of the writing style of sūtras over the centuries.

Both the pāli and saṃskṛtam provide protection from non-human beings, albeit in different literary style. A more extensive range of non-human beings are mentioned. This is evidently an early example of mantra.

I have chosen to be the most faithful possible to the saṃskṛtam terminology; therefore I have put important terms in brackets. For this reason, I have included a glossary at the bottom. This should also help readers to learn new terms. I have excluded the individual names of the troops of non-human beings as many are difficult to translate and would require a versed scholar to identify.

I hope this protection text will help to give piece of mind, strengthen your practice, and help to realize nirvāṇa!

1 Like

01.如是我聞。

1. Thus have I heard.

02.一時,佛在舍衛國,祇樹給孤獨園。
02. At one time the [buddha] was dwelling at [śrāvastī], in the [jeta] forest at [anāthapiṇḍada] park.

03.爾時,毘沙門天王,與百、千、無數藥叉眷屬,於初夜分,俱來佛所,放大光明,照祇陀園一切境界。五體投地,禮世尊足,住立一面,合掌向佛,以偈讚曰:
03. At that time, [deva] king [vaiśravaṇa], along with hundreds, thousands, innumerable companions, came together to where the [bhagavān] resided at the first watch of the night. He radiated a brilliant light that illuminated the entire [jeta] forest, and proceeded to bow to the [buddha]’s feet, standing at one side, facing the [buddha], and praising him with a [gāthā]:
「歸命大無畏 正覺二足尊
諸天以天眼 觀義無所見
過現未來佛 三世慈悲主
一一正遍知 我今歸命禮」
“I pay great respect to the [mahāvīra],
[sambuddha] among [deva]s and men,
Of whom among the [deva]s who, even with their divine eyes,
Are unable to see the meaning of [dharma] as you see it.

To [buddha]s of the past, present, and future,
The supreme guide of all three ages,
Undoubtedly, to the [samyaksaṃbuddha]s, one by one-
-I now worship and go to for refuge."

04.爾時,毘沙門天王說此偈已,白佛言:「世尊。有諸聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,或於曠野、林間、樹下,經行坐臥。我此藥叉、非人之類,有信佛言者、有少信之者。復有無數諸惡藥叉不信佛言,惱亂有情,令不安隱。善哉!世尊。所有《阿吒曩胝經》能為明護。若有苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷、及諸天人,受持、讀誦、禮敬、供養、廣為人說,皆能衛護,為作吉祥。」
04. After [deva] king [vaiśravaṇa] recited this [gāthā], he then said to the [buddha] : “Indeed, [bhagavān], there are [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu]s, [bhikṣuṇī]s, [upāsaka]s, and [upāsikā]s who may walk, sit, or lie in the wilderness, in the forest, or under a tree. Among us non-human beings, while there are some of whom do believe in the words spoken by the [buddha], there are ultimately few who are convinced. There are countless beings with evil intent, they do not believe the word of the [bhagavān], disturb other beings and cause them to lose their peace. It is wonderful! [bhagavān]. The existence of this [āṭānāṭīya] [sūtra] is capable of bestowing knowledge and protection. Whenever there are [bhikṣu]s, [bhikṣuṇī]s, [upāsaka]s, and [upāsikā]s, or any [deva] or human at all, who would receive, hold, read, recite, honor, worship, and pass it on to others, this would bring awakening and great benefit to many.”

05.爾時,會中有諸正信藥叉之眾,合掌白言:「唯願!天王。說此經典,我等樂聞。」
05. At that moment, in the middle of the congregation, a group of faithful [yakṣa]s came forward and said: "We ask you, [deva] king! Please speak it, as we wish to hear it. "

06.時,毘沙門天王默然受請,即向佛前,頭面禮足。承佛威神,告藥叉言:「今此經典,若有所得宣布流通,能除眾生一切煩惱。是故!我今歸依頂禮。
06. Thereupon, [deva] king [vaiśravaṇa] merely kept silent upon hearing their wishes. He instead approached the [buddha] and worshiped him. With the [buddhānubhāva], he told them: “This [sūtra], if anyone can distribute it, will be able to get rid of the various troubles of living beings. Therefore, worship it and go to it for refuge!

「東方世界,有乾闥婆主,名曰持國。
具大威德,身放光明,譬如日出普照世間。
統領眷屬乾闥婆眾,恭敬圍繞,歌舞作唱,而受快樂。
有九十一子,同名帝釋,有大勢力,勇猛暴惡。
見佛世尊,歸依、頂禮、尊重、恭敬。
觀此非人而能禮敬,彼持國天王守護東方。
如佛行,行如是護世。
“是故!我今稽首歸命正遍知、明行足、無上寂靜。”
“In the east of this world is the [gandharva] leader named [dhṛtarāṣṭra].
Great in authority, his body emits light, like a rising sun illuminating the whole world.
The company of [gandharva]s, of whom he commands, constantly applaud, dance and sing in his honor, and he thereby receives great happiness.
He has ninety-one sons, all of whom are named [indra], powerful, mighty, fierce and powerful men.
Seeing the [buddha], the [bhagavān], they then and there seek refuge, worship, honor, and esteem him.
Overseeing all these non-human beings, allowing them to pay homage, is [deva] king [dhṛtarāṣṭra] of the eastern realm.
The path of the [buddha] was undertaken by the beings of this entire realm.
"'Now, let us honor and take refuge in the [samyaksaṃbuddha], the one worthy in knowledge and conduct, who has attained [nirvāṇa]!’”

「南方世界,有鳩槃拏主,名尾嚕茶迦。
具大威德,身有光明,如日照世;
亦如大海深廣無邊,彼諸凡夫不可測度。
統領眷屬鳩槃拏眾,恭敬圍繞,歌舞作唱,而受快樂。
有九十一子,同名帝釋,有大勢力,勇猛暴惡。
見佛世尊,歸依、頂禮、尊重、恭敬。
觀此非人而能禮敬,彼鳩槃拏主守護南方。
如佛行,行如是護世。
“是故!我今稽首歸命正遍知、明行足、無上寂靜。”
“In the south of this world is the [kumbhāṇḍa] leader named virūḍhaka.
Great in authority, his body emits light, as the bright sun illuminates the whole world.
Incomprehensible to ordinary beings, as deep and as wide as the ocean.
The company of [kumbhāṇḍa]s, of whom he commands, constantly applaud, dance and sing in his honor, and he thereby receives great happiness.
He has ninety-one sons, all of whom are named [indra], powerful, mighty, fierce and powerful men.
Seeing the [buddha], the [bhagavān], they then and there seek refuge, worship, honor, and esteem him.
Overseeing all these non-human beings, allowing them to pay homage, is king [deva] [virūḍhaka] of the southern realm.
The path of the [buddha] was undertaken by the beings of this entire realm.
"'Now, let us honor and take refuge in the [samyaksaṃbuddha], the one worthy in knowledge and conduct, who has attained [nirvāṇa]!’”

「西方世界,有大龍主,名尾嚕博叉。
有大威德,光明遠照。
統領眷屬諸大龍眾,恭敬圍繞,歌舞作唱,而受快樂。
有九十一子,同名帝釋,有大勢力,勇猛暴惡。
見佛世尊,歸命、頂禮、尊重、恭敬。
觀此非人而能禮敬,彼大龍主守護西方。
如佛行,行如是護世。
“是故!我今稽首歸命正遍知、明行足、無上寂靜。”
"In the west of this world is the [nāga] leader named [virūpākṣa].
Possessing an astounding charisma, his light shines bright and far.
The company of [nāga]s, of whom he commands, constantly applaud, dance and sing in his honor, and he thereby receives great happiness.
Overseeing all these non-human beings, allowing them to pay homage, is [deva] king [virūpākṣa] of the western realm.
The path of the [bhagavān] was undertaken by the beings of this entire realm.

「北方世界,有藥叉主,名俱吠囉。
有大威德,身光熾盛,如大火焰。
統領眷屬藥叉之眾,恭敬圍繞,歌舞作唱,而受快樂。
有九十一子,同名帝釋,有大勢力,勇猛暴惡。
見佛世尊,歸依、頂禮、尊重、恭敬。
觀此非人而能禮敬,彼藥叉主守護北方。
如佛行,行如是護世。
“是故!我今稽首歸命正遍知、明行足、無上寂靜。”
"In the north of this world is the [yakṣa] leader named [kuvera].
Great in authority, his body lights up like a great fire.
The company of [yakṣa]s, of whom he commands, constantly applaud, dance and sing in his honor, and he thereby receives great happiness.
Overseeing all these non-human beings, allowing them to pay homage, is [deva] king [kuvera] of the northern realm.
The path of the [bhagavān] was undertaken by the beings of this entire realm.
“'Now, let us honor and take refuge in the [samyaksaṃbuddha], the one worthy in knowledge and conduct, who has attained [nirvāṇa]!’”

11.「復次!北方世界,人壽千歲,命不中夭。地無耕種,人不執作。飲食自然,色香具足,資益諸根,身體光潤。處處皆有花果、樹木、流泉、池沼。隨意遊戲,如受天樂。如是東方持國、南方尾嚕茶迦、西方尾嚕博叉、北方俱吠囉,各以威德,護四大洲。
11. “Furthermore! In this realm of the world, beings live up to a thousand years old and no one dies young. The land need not be plowed or cultivated; people need not change the conditions. Food and drink appear naturally, perfectly in shape and aroma, nourish all the senses, and make the body glow. Everywhere there are fruit trees and flowers, streams, springs, and ponds. At the heart of the place, the people there play around and go about experiencing heavenly happiness. It is the same between [dhṛtarāṣṭra] of the east, [virūḍhaka] of the south, [virūpākṣa] of the west, and [kuvera] of the north, each with their respective authority over one of the four continents.

12.「復次!乾闥婆主有藥叉女眾,有乘象者、有乘馬者、有乘駝者、有乘水牛者、有乘羊者、有乘蛇者、有乘飛禽者、有乘童男者、有乘童女者。以象前引於虛空中,密詣諸方,種種變化,隨意自在。亦能守護,人不可見。若諸藥叉,形容醜惡,種種差異;亦如飛禽,往虛空中,自在遊行,亦密護人。其名曰:阿吒曩吒、俱曩吒、波里俱娑曩吒、曩拏、曩拏布里迦等,及藥叉女眾,皆住北方阿拏迦嚩帝大城。又此大城有一宮殿,於其四邊,有九十九池。水甚深廣,名曰地池,泉源通流,亦能降雨。復有多種花果樹木,所謂:供俱婆迦、俱囉囉、迦麼花等。果味甘美,眾所愛樂。頻伽、孔雀、種種諸鳥,常出妙音。彼有天子,名曰勇猛,并諸眷屬,亦住是宮,守護國界。」
12. "Furthermore! The [gandharva] leader possesses the [yakṣī] troupe: some ride elephants, some ride horses, some ride camels, some ride cattle, some ride goats, some ride snakes, some fly by air, some driven by a girl-drawn carriage, some driven by a boy-drawn carriage. Guided by an elephant appearing in the space before them, they visit various places in secret, in various transformations of the mind. They can do this without anyone knowing. The [yakṣa]s are unpleasing in appearance, and have a variety of different forms; just like birds that fly in the sky, they roam at will, and do all this in secret. They are [āṭānāṭa], [kunāṭa], [parikusanāṭa], [nāḍa], [nāḍapurika], along with a group of [yakṣī]s, all of whom live in the large city of [aḍakavatī] in the north. Also, this big city has a palace. On all four sides there are ninety-nine ponds. The water spans deep and wide, and its name is [dharaṇī] pond, flowing plentifully from its source, and it disperses rains from the clouds it forms. Furthermore, there are various types of fruit trees and flowers. They go by names such as [kaukumbhaka], [kurara], and the flower called [kama]. The taste of the fruit is sweet and delicious, loved by all. [viṅka], peacocks, and various kinds of birds always make sweet sounds. There is a [devaputra] named [śūra] and his retinue, also living in the palace guarding the territory of the land.”

2 Likes

13.時,毘沙門天王,承佛慈力,次第宣說真言曰:

1. At that time, by obtaining the power of compassion from the [bhagavān], the [deva] king [vaiśravaṇa] pronounced the following [mantra]:
    TADYATHĀ: ILI MILI ILI KIṆṬAMULE HILI KIṆṬIMULE HADAME HUDURDUME GAURI GANDHĀRI GODOHINI OKE HOKE SVĀHĀ

2. 爾時,毘沙門天王說真言已,白佛言:「世尊。復有諸大乾闥婆眾,與我而為兄弟。其名:
    欲麼睹、樂麼睹、歌麼多、
    麼羅麼睹、麼度麼多、花醉、
    恒醉、吉祥醉、財醉、
    難禰迦、青蓮華、白蓮華、月、
    半尼羅、俱枳羅成、凍母嚕、五髻、
    妙色、金麼拏尾、輸俱、
    蜜里(二合)賀娑波(二合)帝王,野嚩帝·惹誐睹誐帝。
    如是等乾闥婆眾,迷惑、惱亂一切眾生。若有惱亂有情而不捨離者,聞此真言,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝。
    真言曰:

3. After the [deva] king [vaiśravaṇa] had pronounced the [mantra], he said to the [buddha]: “[bhagavān]. There are companies of [gandharva]s. They are known as such:
    [kāmamada], [ratimada], [gītamada],
    [mālāmada], [madhumada], [puṣpamada],
    [sadāmada], [śrīmada], [dhanamada],

[nandika], [utpala], [puṇḍarīka], [candra],

[paṇila], [kokilasāra], [tumburu], [pañcaśikha],

[suvarṇa], [kanaka-māṇavi], [śukra],

[bṛhaspati] [rāja], [yāvati] [jagatogati].
These companies mislead and disturb living beings. If any of them disturb a living creature, and they hear this [mantra], their heads will break into seven parts like an arching branch.
The [mantra] is as follows:
TADYATHĀ: KUNTULE KUNTULA EHI SADĀMANTIKE SADĀBHAṆḌITIKE TIṢṬHA DUṢṬA BHATOSI SVĀHĀ
“[bhagavān]. When there is a [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu], [bhikṣuṇī], [upāsaka], or [upāsikā], who thoroughly receives, holds, reads, recites, respects, adores, and distributes it to others, then the [gandharva] retinues will do no harm, and the father, mother, sister, brother, son or daughter of the person will not be harmed. They will always come, serve, and care for them. If a being acts with evil intent towards them, the offender will lose the strength of their marriage, will not be able to get the [gandharva] [samādhi], their head will break into seven sections in arcs, and they will not be welcomed at the [aḍakavatī] capital city.

15.「世尊。若有聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,於此經中,受持、讀誦、禮敬、供養、廣為人說,彼閉舍左及父母、兄弟、男女眷屬等,皆不能為害。常來親近,侍奉衛護。若有惱害者,即失威力,不得閉舍左三昧,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝,亦不得往阿拏迦嚩帝大城中住。
真言曰:

1. “[bhagavān]. When there is a [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu], [bhikṣuṇī], [upāsaka], or [upāsikā] who, thoroughly receives, holds, reads, recites, respects, adores, and distributes it to others, then the [piśāca] retinues will do no harm, and the father, mother, sister, brother, son or daughter of the person will not be harmed. They will always come, serve, and care for them. If a being acts with evil intent towards them, the offender will lose the strength of their marriage, will not be able to get the [piśāca] [samādhi], their head will break into seven sections in arcs, and they will not be welcomed at the [aḍakavatī] capital city.
    TADYATHĀ: HUME HUME HUMILĀVATIYE SVĀHĀ

16.「世尊。復有鳩槃拏眾。其名曰:
難多、烏波難多、訖里(二合)計輸、
麼賀波囉輸(二合)、摩斛那囉、捺舍賀娑睹(二合)、
部彌左嚕、末麼訖里(二合)瑟拏(二合)、路呬多、
阿婆囉嚩囉拏、尾麼路、禰里伽(二合)迦囉拏、
誐里惹曩、惹致路、捺舍難尼、阿里祖(二合)諾、
迦麼迦麼迦、曀羅巘拏、訖里(二合)野虞般多、
怛囉野(二合)劍末羅跋捺里(二合)迦、
薩里嚩(二合)囕誐、唧怛囉(二合)芻等。
如是鳩槃拏眾,迷惑、惱亂一切有情。若有惱亂者,聞此真言,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝。
真言曰:

「世尊。若有聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,於此經中,受持、讀誦、禮敬、供養、廣為人說,彼鳩槃拏眾及父母、兄弟、男女眷屬等,皆不能為害。常來親近,侍奉衛護。若有惱害者,即失威力,不能鳩槃拏三昧,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝,亦不得往阿拏迦嚩帝大城中住。
16. “[bhagavān]. There is a company of [kumbhāṇḍa]s. They are known as such:
[dānta], [upadānta], [ṛkīśa],
[mahāpārśva], [mahodara], [daśahasta],
[bhūmicara], [vāmakṛṣṇa], [lohita],
[abhravarṇa], [vimala], [dīrghakarṇa],
[garjana], [jaṭila], [daśadānī], [arjuna],
[kāmakāmaka], [elagaṇḍa], [kriyāgupta],
[trayaḥ] [kāmbalabhadrikāḥ],
[sarvaraṅga], [citrākṣa], and so on.
These companies of [kumbhāṇḍa]s mislead and disturb living beings. If any of them disturb a living creature, and they hear this [mantra], their heads will break into seven parts like an arching branch.
TADYATHĀ: SIRE VISIRE SIRE VISIRE KṚṢṆACHAGALE KARADE PIṄGALE SVĀHĀ
“[bhagavān]. When there is a [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu], [bhikṣuṇī], [upāsaka], or [upāsikā] who thoroughly receives, holds, reads, recites, respects, adores, and distributes it to others, then the [kumbhāṇḍa] retinues will do no harm, and the father, mother, sister, brother, son or daughter of the person will not be harmed. They will always come, serve, and care for them. If a being acts with evil intent towards them, the offender will lose the strength of their marriage, will not be able to get the [kumbhāṇḍa] [samādhi], their head will break into seven sections in arcs, and they will not be welcomed at the [aḍakavatī] capital city.”

17.「世尊。若有聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,於此經中,受持、讀誦、禮敬、供養、廣為人說,彼必隸多及彼父母、兄弟、男女眷屬等,皆不能為害。常來親近,侍奉供養。若有惱害者,即失威力,不得必隸多三昧,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝,亦不得往阿拏迦嚩帝大城中住。
真言曰:

1. “[bhagavān]. When there is a [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu], [bhikṣuṇī], [upāsaka], or [upāsikā] who thoroughly receives, holds, reads, recites, respects, adores, and distributes it to others, then the [preta] retinues will do no harm, and the father, mother, sister, brother, son or daughter of the person will not be harmed. They will always come, serve, and care for them. If a being acts with evil intent towards them, the offender will lose the strength of their marriage, will not be able to get the [preta] [samādhi], their head will break into seven sections in arcs, and they will not be welcomed at the [aḍakavatī] capital city.
    [The mantra] is as follows:
    TADYATHĀ: YUMI YUMILE YUMILĀVATIYE SVĀHĀ.

18.「世尊。我今復說諸大龍眾。其名曰:
難努波難努、
難禰嚩、
嚩穌計里跋捺囉(二合)惹敢(二合)部迦、卑孕(二合)誐路、
那地迦囉拏、印捺囉(二合)嚩護、莎悉帝(二合)迦、
阿輸俱、彌多輸迦、尾鉢囉(二合)目訖睹、惹焰鉢帝、
必里(二合)兔多羅、唧怛囉(二合)多羅、
必里(二合)兔𤚥、唧怛囉(二合)鉢囉(二合)賀嚩𡁠、
麼賀頗尼所·惹喻(二合)底囉穌、
麼賀訖里瑟拏、部惹敢(二合)誐麼、
阿惹播羅、怛乞叉(二合)迦、嚩摩訖里(二合)瑟拏(二合)、
舍野摩秫俱路(二合),乃至世間行者。
如是龍等惱亂有情,聞此真言,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝。
真言曰:

「世尊。若有聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,於此經中,受持、讀誦、禮敬、供養、廣為人說,彼諸龍眾及彼父母、兄弟、男女眷屬等,皆不能為害。常來親近,侍奉衛護。若有惱害者,即失威力,不得龍中三昧,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝,亦不得往阿拏迦嚩帝大城中住。

1. “[bhagavān]. There are companies of [nāga]s. They are known as such:
    [nandopanandau],
    [nandyeva],
    [vāsukirbhadrajambukaḥ], [piṅgala],
    [dadhikarṇa], [indrabāhu], [svastika],
    [aśoka], [vītaśoka], [vipramukta], [jayaṃpati],
    [pṛthutala], [citratala],
    [pṛthujman], [citra] [prahadbhuj],
    [mahāphaṇeṣu-jyotīrasaḥ],
    [mahākṛṣṇa], [bhujaṅgama],
    [ajapāla], [takṣaka], [vāmakṛṣṇa],
    [śyāmaśukla], and so on.
    These companies of [nāga]s mislead and disturb living beings. If any of them disturb a living creature, and they hear this [mantra], their heads will break into seven parts like an arching branch.
    TADYATHĀ: CILE VICILE CILE VICILE GAURI GANDHĀRI MĀTAṄGI CAṆḌĀLI SVĀHĀ
    “[bhagavān]. When there is a [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu], [bhikṣuṇī], [upāsaka], or [upāsikā] who thoroughly receives, holds, reads, recites, respects, adores, and distributes it to others, then the [nāga] retinues will do no harm, and the father, mother, sister, brother, son or daughter of the person will not be harmed. They will always come, serve, and care for them. If a being acts with evil intent towards them, the offender will lose the strength of their marriage, will not be able to get the [nāga] [samādhi], their head will break into seven sections in arcs, and they will not be welcomed at the [aḍakavatī] capital city.”

19.「世尊。若有聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,於此經中,受持、讀誦、禮敬、供養、廣為人說,彼羯吒布怛曩及彼父母、兄弟、男女眷屬等,皆不能為害。常來親近,侍奉供養。若有惱害者,即失威力,不得羯吒布怛曩三昧,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝,亦不能往阿拏迦嚩帝大城中住。
真言曰:

1. “[bhagavān]. When there is a [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu], [bhikṣuṇī], [upāsaka], or [upāsikā] who thoroughly receives, holds, reads, recites, respects, adores, and distributes it to others, then the [kaṭapūtana] retinues will do no harm, and the father, mother, sister, brother, son or daughter of the person will not be harmed. They will always come, serve, and care for them. If a being acts with evil intent towards them, the offender will lose the strength of their marriage, will not be able to get the [kaṭapūtana] [samādhi], their head will break into seven sections in arcs, and they will not be welcomed at the [aḍakavatī] capital city.”
    TADYATHĀ: APIVAHANYAVATIYE SVĀHĀ

20.「世尊。我今說彼藥叉大將。其名曰:
印捺囉(二合)、穌謨、嚩嚕拏、
鉢囉(二合)惹鉢帝、婆羅捺嚩惹、伊舍曩室左(二合)難曩、
迦麼室里瑟姹、俱儞建跓、儞軍吒、
摩尼里、摩尼里、摩尼左囉、
鉢囉(二合)拏那、烏波半左迦、
娑多儗里、呬麼嚩多、布囉拏、
佉禰囉俱、尾吒、虞波羅野叉、
阿吒嚩俱、曩囉囉祖、𡁠那里沙婆、唧怛囉(二合)細曩、
巘馱里舞(二合)、禰里伽(二合)舍訖帝(二合)、摩多隸、半左羅巘拏、
穌摩曩、禰里伽(二合)野叉并諸眷屬,
帝里(二合)頗隸左、帝里(二合)建吒等,乃至世間行者。
俱是眷屬,若惱亂有情而不捨離者,聞此真言,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝。
真言曰:

「世尊。若有聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,於此經中,受持、讀誦、禮敬、供養、廣為人說,彼諸藥叉及彼父母、兄弟、男女眷屬等,皆不能為害。若有惱亂者,即失威力,不能得藥叉三昧,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝,亦不能往阿拏迦嚩帝大城中住。

1. “[bhagavān]. There are companies of [yakṣa]s. They are known as such:
    [indra], [soma], [varuṇa],
    [prajāpati], [bharadvāja], [īśanaścandanaḥ],
    [kāmaśreṣṭha], [kunikaṇṭha], [nikuṇṭha],
    [maṇirmaṇirmaṇicaraḥ],
    [praṇāda], [upapañcaka],
    [sātāgiri], [haimavata], [pūrṇa],
    [khadiraka], [viṭa], [gopāla] [yakṣa],
    [āṭavaka], [nara] [rāja], [janaṛṣabha], [citrasena],
    [gandharva], [dīrghaśakti], [mātali], [pañcālagaṇḍa],
    [sumana], [dīrgha] [yakṣa] with his retinue,
    [triphalī] [trikaṇṭhaḥ], and so on.
    These companies of [yakṣa]s mislead and disturb living beings. If any of them disturb a living creature, and they hear this [mantra], their heads will break into seven parts like an arching branch.

TADYATHĀ: HILE MILE HIMILE KĪRTĪMŪLE HILE KĪRTIMŪLE:
OṂ TUMBHE TUMBHE OTUMBHA OTUMBHE OGHE MIGHE GODOHI BHṚṄGARE ṚṢISANTANE SVĀHĀ.
“[bhagavān]. When there is a [śrāvaka], [bhikṣu], [bhikṣuṇī], [upāsaka], or [upāsikā] who thoroughly receives, holds, reads, recites, respects, adores, and distributes it to others, then the [yakṣa] retinues will do no harm, and the father, mother, sister, brother, son or daughter of the person will not be harmed. They will always come, serve, and care for them. If a being acts with evil intent towards them, the offender will lose the strength of their marriage, will not be able to get the [yakṣa] [samādhi], their head will break into seven sections in arcs, and they will not be welcomed at the [aḍakavatī] capital city.”

21.「世尊。若有聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,於此經中,受持、讀誦、禮敬、供養、廣為人說,彼諸羅剎及彼父母、兄弟、男女眷屬等,皆不能為害。常來親近,侍奉供養。若有惱亂者,即失威力,不能得羅剎三昧,頭破作七分如阿梨樹枝。亦不能往阿拏迦嚩帝大城中住。
真言曰:

1. “[bhagavān]. When there is a [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu], [bhikṣuṇī], [upāsaka], or [upāsikā] who thoroughly receives, holds, reads, recites, respects, adores, and distributes it to others, then the [rākṣasa] retinues will do no harm, and the father, mother, sister, brother, son or daughter of the person will not be harmed. They will always come, serve, and care for them. If a being acts with evil intent towards them, the offender will lose the strength of their marriage, will not be able to get the [rākṣasa] [samādhi], their head will break into seven sections in arcs, and they will not be welcomed at the [aḍakavatī] capital city.
    TADYATHĀ: HILI HILI HULU HULU YUME YUMILĀVATIYE SVĀHĀ

22.沙門天王說此《阿吒曩胝經》已,禮世尊足,卻住一面。
22. After the [deva] king [vaiśravaṇa] proclaimed the [āṭānāṭīya] [sūtra], he worshiped the [bhagavān]’s feet and stood at one side.

23.爾時,釋迦牟尼佛,於夜分中,告苾芻眾言:「如是!此經有大威力,能為明護。」
23. At that moment, at the middle watch of the night, [buddha] [śākyamuni] told the [bhikṣu]s: “It is so! This [sūtra] is great and deservingly powerful, and is capable of bestowing knowledge and protection.”

24.彼毘沙門天王,與無數、百、千藥叉眷屬,放大光明,照祇陀園一切境界,說伽他曰:
24. The [deva] king [vaiśravaṇa], along with hundreds, thousands, innumerable companions all radiated a brilliant light that illuminated the entire [jeta] forest, and uttered the following [gāthā]:
「歸命大無畏 正覺二足尊
諸天以天眼 觀義無所見
過現未來佛 三世慈悲主
一一正遍知 我今歸命禮」
“I pay great respect to the [mahāvīra],
The [sambuddha], among [deva]s and men,
Among the [deva]s, who even with their divine eyes,
Are unable to see the meaning of [dharma] as you see it.”

“To the [buddha]s of the past, present, and future,
The supreme guide of all three ages,
Undoubtedly, to the [samyaksaṃbuddha]s, one by one-
-I now worship and go to for refuge."

25.說此偈已,而白佛言:「有諸聲聞苾芻、苾芻尼、優婆塞、優婆夷,於曠野、林間、樹下,經行坐臥,有諸藥叉非人之類——有信佛言者、有少信者、有極惡不信者——惱亂有情,令不安隱,說此經典,利樂眾生。」
25. After the recitation of this [gāthā], he then said to the [buddha]: “Indeed, [bhagavān], there are [śrāvaka] [bhikṣu]s, [bhikṣuṇī]s, [upāsaka]s, and [upāsikā]s who may walk, sit, or lie in the wilderness, in the forest, or under a tree. Among us non-human beings, while there are some of whom do believe in the words spoken by the [buddha], there are ultimately few who are convinced. There are countless beings with evil intent, and disturb other beings and cause them to lose their peace.”

26.「汝諸苾芻。諦聽!諦聽!此經真實有大威力,能為救護。乃至天人,常得密護。汝當受持,廣宣流布!」
26. “[bhikṣu]s, listen carefully! This [sūtra] truly possesses great deserving power, and is capable of helping and guarding. No matter if one is a [deva] or human, one always gets hidden protection. You must accept, hold, and spread it!”
27.說是語已,天、龍、藥叉、人、非人等,皆大歡喜,信受奉行。
27. After he had spoken these words, not only the [deva]s, but all humans and non-humans felt great joy, believed, accepted, upheld, and carried it out.
《佛說毘沙門天王經》
sūtra of the deva king vaiśravaṇa

2 Likes

GLOSSARY

[aḍakavatī] capital city of the yakṣas

[anāthapiṇḍada] a park at which the bhagavān often teaches

[āṭānāṭīya] the name of the protection given in this sūtra

[bhagavān] highest honorific in India for a dharma teacher or deva

[bhikṣu] monk

[bhikṣuṇī] nun

[buddha] awakened one

[buddhānubhāva] supernormal power of a buddha, literally ‘expression of an awakened one’

[deva] celestial being

[devaputra] a heavenly son

[dharma] variously translated as truth, teaching, phenomena, religion, righteousness

[dhṛtarāṣṭra] eastern celestial king

[gandharva] a type of non-human being, often depicted as musicians

[gāthā] a poetic verse

[indra] ruler of the trāyastriṃśa heaven, also known as śakra

[jeta] the name a forest the bhagavān often resides

[kaṭapūtana] similar to a preta, descriped as rotting corpses in some descriptions

[kumbhāṇḍa] a goblin-like non-human being

[kuvera] an alternate title for celestial king vaiśravaṇa

[mahāvīra] great victor, a title also used for the leader of the nirgranthas

[mantra] an incantation which have various effects

[nāga] a humanoid snake non-human being

[nirvāṇa] literally ‘blown-out’, a state of peace, the final goal of śrāvakas

[piśāca] a flesh eating non-human being

[preta] a ghostly non-human being, one of the most common states of rebirth

[rākṣasa] a non-human being, said to eat humans

[samādhi] a meditative state

[sambuddha] clearly awake

[śākyamuni] the main title of the most recent buddha of our era

[samyaksaṃbuddha] fully awakened one, opposed to one at a partial state of awakening

[śrāvaka] disciple

[śrāvastī] one of the six largest cities in ancient India

[sūtra] literally meaning ‘woven’, a construed literary teaching

[upāsaka] layman

[upāsikā] laywoman

[vaiśravaṇa] northern celestial king

[virūḍhaka] southern celestial king

[virūpākṣa] western celestial king

[yakṣa] a generic non-human being, usually residing in nature

2 Likes

Perhaps @cdpatton can help in verifying if the translation is accurate? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi, @BuddhaBuddy. It’s great see someone working with texts like this one! Classical Chinese can be a challenge to deal with, but you seem to have managed to produced a good working draft using the Malay translation. However, I do see a number of places where the meaning doesn’t follow the Chinese. Would you be able to read a pdf with corrections and notes?

4 Likes

Hi there! Yes, I was surprised no one had tackled this one sooner. I really find dhāraṇī texts interesting, especially one with useful mantras like these. :slight_smile:

I would be super grateful for any notes or input, I honestly wasn’t expecting a response so soon! You can edit it as much as you deem necessary, I will credit you as having worked on it as well on the final copy, or you can add your name yourself if you wish.

I assumed there would be quite a few errors, especially going from Sanskrit-Chinese-Malay-English XD

5 Likes

Hi Buddy ,
If you dont mind , just for your reference .

============================

Innumerable (yaksa) companions .
(Together they approached the Buddha dwelling )

(Putting the palms together and facing the Buddha) .

============================

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Paying homage to the Fearless One
Sambuddha the Honoured One among the bipeds
The devas even with their divine eyes
Unable to penetrate through the meaning of it
Past present and future Buddhas
Three times compassionate Lords
One by one the all knowing Perfected One
I now respectfully paying the homage .

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll set aside some time to go over the entire text in Word and create a PDF to post. It’s not too bad, but there are some mistakes like translating “honored among bipeds” as “among devas and humans,” as @anon85245511 pointed out.

3 Likes

Here’s my quick edits for sections 1-12. I ended up creating a google doc and using the suggest changes feature. It looks like a lot of red-lining, but much of it is just fixing the broken English created by Google Translate.

5 Likes

Looking great! Thanks for the prompt work. I will wait until you get around to the rest, then I’ll fix it all up at once.

I am happy to have finally finished the translation! I may update it if I notice any further mistakes, but here it is anyhow. I would like to revisit this when my language skills improve, but for now I think at least having an intelligible version of an ancient text is a precious thing. So much thanks to @cdpatton for reviewing the text and providing terminology additions and many grammar fixes.

I went back through it one final time to make some changes to be more faithful to the formatting of the original text.

Now, the next question is, how can we follow ou should accept, hold, and distribute it widely as śākyamuni urges us to do? :smiley: :ok_hand:aṭānāṭīya sūtra.pdf (181.4 KB)

3 Likes

After giving it a look-over, I noticed quite a few minor mistakes, I guess I was a little eager to upload it. XD

Here’s the edited version.

āṭānāṭīya sūtra.pdf (175.6 KB)

2 Likes

Someone from a study group I attend pointed out that I missed a tidbit of information about the Indian-Chinese translator. I’ve added information regarding that.āṭānāṭīya sūtra.pdf (380.7 KB)