Vinaya Doodles šŸ˜

Pacittiyas

The next class of rules are the pacittiyas. As already mentioned above, they can be cleared by simply confessing to another fully-ordained monastic. A small number of pacittiyas also require that something be done to an object before the confession is valid, such as breaking a valuable needle case, or cutting down a robe that is too long, etc.

In the Pali tradition, there are 188 pacittiyas in total. (In other schools, the number varies, especially for the bhikkhuni rules.) There are 70 rules that are shared between bhikkhus and bhikkhunis, 22 rules for bhikkhus only, and 96 rules for bhikkhunis only.

Hereā€™s an overview of the shared rules. (As usual, Ajahn Thanissaroā€™s translation; the numbers refer to bhikkhunis first, bhikkhuā€™s in square brackets.)
Pacittiyas Shared.pdf (93.8 KB)

5 Likes

The shared pacittiyas

(Rules 1-8 of 70)

97 / 1 lying
98 / 2 insulting another monastic
99 / 3 speaking divisively
100 / 4 Reciting dhamma with an unordained person
101 / 5 Sleeping in the same place as an unordained person of the same sex for more than three nights
102 / 6 Sleeping in the same place as an unordained person of the opposite sex (even for one night)
103 / 7 Teaching more than six sentences of dhamma to the opposite sex alone
104 / 8 Telling unordained persons of oneā€™s supernormal states

(doodle updated on 6th June 2019)

7 Likes

Would it be possible to use indirect light? A lamp bouncing light off a large white piece of cardboard would be diffuse enough to mimic outdoor light. I use this trick now and then.

5 Likes

Thank you!
To make it less labor intensive for you, would it be possible to upload a photo to a cloud storage such as Google Drive, and ask any of us who have full access to the internet to do the rest?

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip, Iā€™ll give it a try. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for suggesting it. Iā€™ll give Karlā€™s idea a try first because I found a scanner app for my phone yesterday that seems to do a reasonable job if I can get the light conditions right. If it doesnā€™t work, I might come back to youā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Say what now? :confused:

If it leads to much verbage, Iā€™ll naturally split the point off, but Iā€™m a bit puzzled as to precisely what this means. The origin story didnā€™t help a great deal.

6 Likes

Woah! Love it :grinning::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Weeeell, this is one of the rules people discuss about endlesslyā€¦ :wink: The key words here are"padaso ā€¦ vāceyya", which Ajahn Thanissaro translates as ā€œrecite line-by-lineā€, and Ajahn Brahmali as ā€œinstruct to memorizeā€.

The purpose of the rule seems to be that you should not teach an unordained person to recite a dhamma text. If the unordained person knows the text already and you recite together, or both donā€™t know the text and they practise together, there is no offense.
(Note that ā€œunordainedā€ is my simplified description of anupasampanna, i.e. not a bhikkhu/ni. Therefore, even samaneri/as fall under this rule.)

In the origin story, it seems that there was a concern that people become disrespectful towards monastics if they are able to recite dhamma themselves.
It is actually a common argument nowadays that monasticism is obsolete because the dhamma is available everywhere and there are many lay teachers, so maybe the early sangha encountered similar difficulties.

But this rule seems a bit at odds with much of the rest of the EBTs where there is little restriction on what is taught to laypeople. Generally, dhamma should be made available to everyone who is interested. Maybe we just donā€™t fully understand the purpose of this rule anymore after 2500 yearsā€¦

11 Likes

Thanks very much (with the utmost non-disrespect, non-undeferentialilty, and non-rudeness :grin: ).

Interesting point! Hadnā€™t thought of that.

Yes, thatā€™s exactly why it struck me as so strange.

:anjal:

7 Likes

Dhamma text without Vinaya is a bit like driving without a license.

5 Likes

Maybe itā€™s to do with corruption or conversion. Slip a Brahma or Atman in somewhereā€¦

1 Like

The shared pacittiyas
(rules 9-16 of 70)

105 / 9 telling a layperson about another monasticā€™s serious offense
106 / 10 digging soil
107 / 11 damaging a plant
108 / 12 speaking evasively (when questioned by the sangha)
109 / 13 criticizing (a sangha officer)
110 / 14 putting furniture / bedding outside and leaving without putting it away
111 / 15 putting out furniture / bedding in a sangha room and leaving without putting it away
112 / 16 lying down in a sangha room to encroach upon another monastic

(Updated 24 October 2019)

10 Likes

Dear doodle friends,

After searching for three weeks, one of my local friends has finally located a copyshop with a proper scanner, and 15 crisp new black-and-white proto-doodles have just arrived in my email inbox. So the long wait is finally over. Yay! :sparkling_heart: :tada: :heart: :heart:

Iā€™m in bed with fever and a flu, so I have nothing better to do than to start coloring them. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

The shared pacittiyas
(rules 17-24 of 70)

113 / 17 Angrily throwing another monastic out of a sangha dwelling
114 / 18 Sitting down on furniture with removable legs on an upper story with incomplete floor
115 / 19 Applying more than three layers of facing when building a large dwelling
116 / 20 Pouring out water with living beings in it
117 / 31 Eating more than one meal in a soup kitchen
118 / 32 Participating in a group meal (i.e. 4 monastics or more)
119 / 34 Accepting more than three bowlfuls of cake
120 / 37 Eating at the wrong time

8 Likes

Oh, sorry to hear that. Wishing you a quick recovery! :sneezing_face: :sleeping_bed: ==> :smile:

11 Likes

Iā€™ve been wondering what your process is, and now I get it. :grinning: Please get well soon, and avoid sitting on dodgy furniture in high lofts. :rofl:

7 Likes

Just wanted to let you know that I have updated rule # 17 / 13 of the shared Sanghadisesas, ā€œcorrupting familiesā€, and rule # 30/30 of the shared Nissaggiya Pacittiyas, ā€œtaking donations for oneselfā€. Since several monastics are now using or planning to use the doodles as a teaching aid, I was unhappy with the drawings of these two rules. (@charlotteannun, @Niyyanika)

For the sanghadisesa, it is important that a banishment sanghakamma be performed (and ignored) before the offense is committed.
For the NP, it is more accurate to draw it in such a way that the gift is entirely diverted to one individual, rather than being given to the sangha first and then snatched away.

Edit: I have also updated the numbers on the sanghadisesa doodles. Now they show the actual numbering of the patimokkha rules, to make them consistent with the Np and Pc doodles.

Edit 2: Bhikkhu NP 11, making a blanket with silk, has now also been updated.

Some people have sent messages because they worry about my health: I am better already. :slightly_smiling_face: I had to see a doctor yesterday because the fever went up, and I got about 50 white pills of various shapes and sizes in small paper bags. I have no idea what they are for but the fever has gone, so I guess they are working. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

The shared pacittiyas
(rules 25-32 of 70)

121 / 38 Eating stored food
122 / 40 Eating food that hasnā€™t been offered
123 / 42 Inviting another monastic for almsround and then leaving them in the village
124 / 43 Intruding on a lustful couple
125 / 44 Sitting alone with the opposite sex in a place suitable for sex
126 / 45 Sitting alone with the opposite sex in a place suitable for flirting
127 / 46 Visiting other families when invited for a meal somewhere
128 / 47 Making use of an invitation for requisites more than four months after it was offered

9 Likes

The shared pacittiyas
(rules 33-40 of 70)

129 / 48 Going to see an army (unless suitable reason)
130 / 49 Staying with the army for more than three nights (if suitable reason)
131 / 50 Going to see a parade, a battlefield, etc.
132 / 51 Drinking alcohol
133 / 52 Tickling another monastic
134 / 53 Playing in water
135 / 54 Being disrespectful towards a patimokkha rule (purposely breaking a rule)
136 / 55 Frightening another monastic

11 Likes

The shared pacittiyas
(rules 41-48 of 70)

137 / 56 Kindling a fire to warm oneself
138 / 57 Bathing more often than once every two weeks
139 / 58 Using a new robe without staining it first
140 / 59 Using cloth placed under shared ownership
141 / 60 Hiding another monasticā€™s requisites
142 / 61 Killing an animal
143 / 62 Using water that contains living beings
144 / 63 Agitating to reopen an issue that has already been settled