What do you think about Ven Thanissaro's view on Anatta?

Hi @Mike_0123 ,

I feel this is allready answered. In sutta’s and internal commentaries, like Patisambhidamagga, it is said that we need to see the khandha’s as empty, void, alien, vain, not-self. That is contemplating anatta in the khandha’s. It is something which one has to develop to see things the right way and stream towards Nibbana.

In the context of contemplation, anicca, anatta and asubha and dukkha are perceptions to develop. One must see things in a correct way to abandon passion and defilements and enter the stream towards Nibbana.

@Mike_0123, agree - quite far from original topic.

@Green, the Buddha advised that to progress on the path, one should contemplate impermanence in all things we experience with mind and body. without that, it is very hard to see how all things are anatta. feel free to message me if you want to to continue his discussion, but i feel that may be trying to make you see something that your mind doesn’t seem to want to. best wishes to you - be well.

It seems to me that the basic structure of the argument is that what is hurting you can’t (or is not fit to be seen as) BE(ing) you. How could the thing causing the harm be the thing to which the harm is caused?

I also think that there is a lexical purpose to the move, sukkha did not just mean pleasure, it also had the connotation of “stable”, dukkha doesn’t just mean pain or sorrow it also meant “unstable” “I’ll-fitting” “irritating”.

So I think that just because something is impermanent is not quite enough to get the Buddhist argument off the ground, you still have an Ajita Kesakambala type position (though as I said to @Sunyo I think his actual position is to deny any “real” self whatever) where you can argue that there is a real but impermanent self that is temporary. Buddhism rejects this position and uses pain as a way to bring in a sort of subjective consequentialism that Ajita would deny.

Again, taken as a metaphysical assertion annica commits one to a kind of nihilism, taken as a denial of the positive assertion of permanence it opens the way for the Buddhist philosophy of conditionality that can resolve the issue of personal suffering without reifying concepts like self and world. Again, this is pretty much “mainstream Buddhism” as I understand it outside of Theravada where I am beginning to realise a more positive metaphysics is asserted as the Buddha teaching. I have not yet heard a coherent “explain it to me like I’m a simple graduate student in philosophy” explanation that doesn’t seem to entail a nihilism that I take to be explicitly denied in the EBT’s.

1 Like

Just on the realism idealism debate, my understanding is that conditionality is precisely the Buddha’s resolution of this very debate and that annica dukkha anatta is precisely the “negative dialectic” of conditionality; if there where permanent stable essences or identities to objects and subjects then we would be trapped in whatever reality happened to be, but because things are in fact mutable, arising and ceasing in dependence on other things, some of which we have influence and agency over, there is this “way out” of our conundrum, the unconditioned. Specifically what is unconditioned by lust, hatred and delusion.

Once again, I think that all this is fairly explicit in DN1, DN2, MN1, the atthakavagga and the parayanavagga and a lot of other places in the EBT’s.

Metta

1 Like

I do not try to talk about venerable Thanissaro’s view on Annata; however, I think this may bring up some ideas for this topic so others can talk about it.

As I understand the suttas, atta (self) refers to an existence that is totally free and happy. Of course, everybody will wish to have it if there is one.

For an ordinary person, self simply means his/her existence. Of course, he/she wants that self (existence) to be totally free and happy too.

When an ordinary person asks if there is a self. He refers to his existence. If we answer that there is no self, he will be confused because he will understand that he does not exist while he can clearly see that he actually exists! If we answer that there is a self, then we affirms that there is an existence that is free and happy. However, this is not true, and it is not what the Buddha teaches.

The Buddha teaches that we cannot find that self (atta) - an existence that is totally free and happy in the five aggregates, and he also teaches that we cannot find that self apart from the five aggregates. What does this mean? It means that there is no existence that is totally free and happy. However, it does not mean that there is no existence. There are existences but they all are suffering and are not free.

When we refer to a self as an existence then it exists, but it is suffering. When we refer to a self as an existence that is totally free and happy then it does not exist.

Some people cling to no self, they affirm that there is no person, no soul,… When they say so, they affirm that there is no existence. However, there are existences, but they are sufferings. We can see the person and talk to him. That person is an existence. If he does not exist, we cannot see and talk to him.

Some people cling to self. They affirm that there is self. That person, that soul is a self, or there is person, there is soul… When they say so, they refer to the existence of the person or the soul; however, that self, person, soul is not “atta” which is an existence that is totally free and happy; Therefore, they are referring something that is “suffering” as “totally free and happy”.

The “self” that is reborn is the existence that is not free and happy. This “self” exists and is running around samsara. This “self” is simply that existence.

Most of us will be totally confused when we cannot cling to any existence. We cannot function without existence. However, existence is actually the real problem. The question becomes if we can be totally free and happy without existence? Does this mean annihilation? Of course, the Buddha said that there is no annihilation.

To answer this question, we will need to understand what is existence? Can we function without it? Will we be totally free and happy without it? However, this is another big topic, and it is not very easy to see and understand if one is tied to craving and clinging. Moreover, this is not what this topic is about.

1 Like

I think we both hold similar, if not equal, views on anatta.

I’m still truly interested in Sunyo’s interpretation of the argument in the anicca sutta. I’ve never seen one that did not dismiss the dukkha part, but I’m hopeful.

1 Like

in the other thread the sentence netaṁ mama, nesohamasmi, na meso attā “this is not mine, this is not what I am, this is not my essence” has come up, now, esohamasmi does not occur in DN, but eso me attā occurs, just once, in DN15 where there is a section called attasamanupassanā, “on perceiving a self”.

As many on here by now know, I take DN to contain material that is early relative to SN in the EBT’s. However I think that even ignoring this thesis, the attasamanupassanā section of DN15 can almost certainly be said to have one of the most detailed discussions of views about self in the canon, and obviously, is regarded as buddhavaccana by all, so it’s well worth study. here is a section:

Now, as to those who say:
Tatrānanda, yo so evamāha:
‘Feeling is definitely not my self. But it’s not that my self does not experience feeling. My self feels, for my self is liable to feel.’
‘na heva kho me vedanā attā, nopi appaṭisaṁvedano me attā, attā me vediyati, vedanādhammo hi me attā’ti.
You should say this to them,
So evamassa vacanīyo—
‘Suppose feelings were to totally and utterly cease without anything left over.
vedanā ca hi, āvuso, sabbena sabbaṁ sabbathā sabbaṁ aparisesā nirujjheyyuṁ.
When there’s no feeling at all, with the cessation of feeling, would the thought “I am this” occur there?’”
Sabbaso vedanāya asati vedanānirodhā api nu kho tattha ‘ayamahamasmī’ti siyā”ti?

“No, sir.”
“No hetaṁ, bhante”.

“That’s why it’s not acceptable to regard self as that which is liable to feel.
“Tasmātihānanda, etena petaṁ nakkhamati: ‘na heva kho me vedanā attā, nopi appaṭisaṁvedano me attā, attā me vediyati, vedanādhammo hi me attā’ti samanupassituṁ.

Yato kho, ānanda, bhikkhu neva vedanaṁ attānaṁ samanupassati, nopi appaṭisaṁvedanaṁ attānaṁ samanupassati, nopi ‘attā me vediyati, vedanādhammo hi me attā’ti samanupassati.

Not regarding anything in this way, they don’t grasp at anything in the world.
So evaṁ na samanupassanto na ca kiñci loke upādiyati,
Not grasping, they’re not anxious. Not being anxious, they personally become extinguished.
anupādiyaṁ na paritassati, aparitassaṁ paccattaññeva parinibbāyati,
They understand: ‘Rebirth is ended, the spiritual journey has been completed, what had to be done has been done, there is no return to any state of existence.’
‘khīṇā jāti, vusitaṁ brahmacariyaṁ, kataṁ karaṇīyaṁ, nāparaṁ itthattāyā’ti pajānāti.

It wouldn’t be appropriate to say that a mendicant whose mind is freed like this holds the following views:
Evaṁ vimuttacittaṁ kho, ānanda, bhikkhuṁ yo evaṁ vadeyya:
‘A Realized One exists after death’;
‘hoti tathāgato paraṁ maraṇā itissa diṭṭhī’ti, tadakallaṁ.
‘A Realized One doesn’t exist after death’;
‘Na hoti tathāgato paraṁ maraṇā itissa diṭṭhī’ti, tadakallaṁ.
‘A Realized One both exists and doesn’t exist after death’;
‘Hoti ca na ca hoti tathāgato paraṁ maraṇā itissa diṭṭhī’ti, tadakallaṁ.
‘A Realized One neither exists nor doesn’t exist after death’.
‘Neva hoti na na hoti tathāgato paraṁ maraṇā itissa diṭṭhī’ti, tadakallaṁ.

Why is that?
Taṁ kissa hetu?
A mendicant is freed by directly knowing this: how far language and the scope of language extend; how far terminology and the scope of terminology extend; how far description and the scope of description extend; how far wisdom and the sphere of wisdom extend; how far the cycle of rebirths and its continuation extend. It wouldn’t be appropriate to say that a mendicant freed by directly knowing this holds the view: ‘There is no such thing as knowing and seeing.’
Yāvatā, ānanda, adhivacanaṁ yāvatā adhivacanapatho, yāvatā nirutti yāvatā niruttipatho, yāvatā paññatti yāvatā paññattipatho, yāvatā paññā yāvatā paññāvacaraṁ, yāvatā vaṭṭaṁ, yāvatā vaṭṭati, tadabhiññāvimutto bhikkhu, tadabhiññāvimuttaṁ bhikkhuṁ ‘na jānāti na passati itissa diṭṭhī’ti, tadakallaṁ.

So firstly, the cases of identifying the self with a feeling and identifying the self outside a feeling have already been disposed of earlier in the sutta, the next case, that it is the self that feels is dealt with above, and the conclusion is that there is no possibility of the thought “I am this” would occur (there being no “this” to identify with). The Sutta then goes on to say that the mendicant who practices like this, not regarding anything as “theirs” stops clinging to things and becomes extinguished.

So the argument really is that thinking of something as our self leads to attachment to that thing which leads to suffering, freedom from attachment is freedom form suffering, at no point is the idea that things in themselves have some special property that is “not-ones-self-ness” rather that they depend on vedana to be anything at all and that the views about self in turn depend on the things.

It is then said that someone who is liberated like this would not endorse “exists” “not exists” “both” or “neither” about the status of one “gone this way” tathāgato.

The REASON given for not endorsing the tetralemma is “directly knowing this: how far language and the scope of language extend; how far terminology and the scope of terminology extend; how far description and the scope of description extend”

finally it is stated that “It wouldn’t be appropriate to say that a mendicant freed by directly knowing this holds the view: ‘There is no such thing as knowing and seeing.’”

So knowing and seeing is endorsed while “knower” and “seer” are not endorsed.

So to recap, I think that it is pretty clear in DN15 that the argument being made is phenomenological, not metaphysical and that the non endorsement of the view “a self exists” is not considered as equivalent to the endorsement of the view “a self doesn’t exist” as both of those views (and even two more) are explicitly rejected.

Metta.

1 Like

to compare and contrast, one of the other major anatta suttas is MN22 which I take to be late and composite, lacking a coherent arc like what we see in DN15. Here we get a lot of the themes but not as logical a structure, for example the simile of the raft is introduced but then a long discussion of not regarding things as self occurs, with no real connection to how one might let go of the teaching in the same way as letting go of views about self, then towards the end we get;

When a mendicant’s mind is freed like this, the gods together with Indra, Brahmā, and Pajāpati, search as they may, will not find
Evaṁ vimuttacittaṁ kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhuṁ saindā devā sabrahmakā sapajāpatikā anvesaṁ nādhigacchanti:
anything that such a Realized One’s consciousness depends on.
‘idaṁ nissitaṁ tathāgatassa viññāṇan’ti.
Why is that?
Taṁ kissa hetu?
Because even in the present life the Realized One is undiscoverable, I say.
Diṭṭhevāhaṁ, bhikkhave, dhamme tathāgataṁ ananuvijjoti vadāmi.

which is pretty wild, implying that even while alive the consciousness (and presumably therefore form, feelings, perceptions and choices) of the arahant is “unconditional”

Anyway, I don’t have an analysis of MN22 to offer, just the observation that it is much more difficult to parse, and seems much more “jumpy” from theme to theme and topic to topic than DN15 does on the same subject.

Metta

2 Likes

that’s signless concentration which is still conditional

I don’t think that is what is being spoken about here @Alaray .

I think there may be several reasons why the order of anicca, dukkha, and anatta is the way it is. Of course they are intrinsically connected, and indeed what is anicca is also anatta, and from a certain perspective that makes more sense.

But one very simple reason for the order, I think, is that anatta has to be at the end. Because if you say “what is anatta is dukkha” or “what is anatta is anicca” you would say that nibbana was dukkha or anatta. Since nibbana is also anatta. (That’s why the standard phrasings are sabbe sankhara dukkha/anicca “all created things are suffering/impermanent”, andsabbe dhamma anatta, “everything (including nibbana) is without a Self”.)

So if anatta is at the end, then we only need to figure out which order dukkha and anicca should be in. But if we were to say “what is dukkha is anicca” this would not really convey the purpose, because now it sounds like dukkha is just temporary: sometimes there, sometimes not. As if you were sometimes enlightened, sometimes not. But dukkha is always there until nibbana.

So that leaves just one order, which is anicca > dukkha > anatta. That is one reasons for the order in my eyes. (The suttas don’t directly give a reason themselves.)

One reason that “what is dukkha is anatta” is because what would have a self agency would be under control, and therefore would not be dukkha. Because who wants dukkha? Another more philosophical one is that a Self is defined usually as happy and joyful, for example in the Upanishads. But that of course is only one way to look at a Self.

But the standard order is definitely not the only way to think about the three. As seen in the Anatthalakka Sutta “because X is anatta, it leads to affliction”. Here X is always some aggregate, and not nibbana, so here this order works.

And the order anicca > anatta definately also works, and I found it more conducive for my own practice than dukkha > anatta. The suttas also mention this, for example DN15 when it talks about feelings as a self. It asks: But since feelings change, how could it be a self?

All in my opinion.

1 Like

I think I addressed this before but sabbe saṅkhārā dukkhā only occurs once in the 4 Nikayas, at AN3.136 and sabbe saṅkhārā aniccā only occurs there and at MN35 and SN22. sabbe dhammā anattā is the same except one extra occurrence at SN44 where it also says:

When Vacchagotta asked me whether the self does not exist absolutely, if I had answered that ‘the self does not exist absolutely’ I would have been siding with the ascetics and brahmins who are annihilationists.
Ahañcānanda, vacchagottassa paribbājakassa ‘natthattā’ti puṭṭho samāno ‘natthattā’ti byākareyyaṁ, ye te, ānanda, samaṇabrāhmaṇā ucchedavādā tesametaṁ saddhiṁ abhavissa.

So I think it is a lot to say that this is a “standard” statement, in the Nikayas at least.

contrast this with the significantly longer sentance; vivicca akusalehi dhammehi savitakkaṃ savicāraṃ vivekajaṃ pītisukhaṃ paṭhamaṃ jhānaṃ upasampajja viharati “secluded from unskillful qualities, they enter and remain in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected”

Which occurs verbatim in DN1, DN2, DN10, DN22, DN26, DN29, DN33, DN34, MN10, MN13, MN25, MN26, MN27, MN30, MN38, MN43, MN44, MN45, MN51, MN52, MN59, MN60, MN64, MN65, MN76, MN77, MN94, MN101, MN107, MN108, MN111, MN113, MN138, MN139, MN141, SN16, SN36, SN40, SN45, SN48, SN53, AN2.11, AN3.59, AN3,79, AN3.95, AN4.123, AN4.163, AN5.14, AN5.94, AN9.33, AN9.35, AN9.38, AN9.39, AN9.40, AN10.99 and AN11.16

So I guess I would say that there definitely are “standard” formulas in the 4 Nikayas, and sabbe saṅkhārā dukkhā is NOT one of them.

(a small technical addendum; sabbe saṅkhārā aniccā occurs in two places in SN22, SN22.90 and SN22.43 however in the 22.43 case it is the sankhara in the 5 aggregates that is referred to, not all conditioned things as in 22.90)

1 Like

actually we do hallucinate these objects.

what we see is not what is presented to the eye. for example, look up to any corner of the room, and see a right angle. this is not what is presented to the eye - go ahead - measure one of the angles in the corner of your roof with your hand. even that rough measurement will tell you that it’s not a right angle. actually the mind interprets what is presented to the brain and makes sense of it, and sees a right angle.

another example - when you look around, you don’t see a gap in your vision (unless you have a visual field deficit). actually, that’s not what the eye sees at all. there’s literally a blind spot in our vision where the optic nerve protrudes so that that corresponding part of the visual field is not seen, but the brain interpolates what’s missing so you don’t see a missing spot in the glass you’re reaching for.

yes, we do hallucinate, continuously, all the time … if we actually saw (and sensed) what the world presents to the eye (and other senses), we wouldn’t be able to function. our brains would not be able to make sense of what we were seeing. we couldn’t reach for a glass with any certainty. we wouldn’t walk for fear of falling. it’s only because our brain hallucinates our world for us based on a probability of what’s correct, that we can function.

as the buddha said, perception is like a mirage …

I have seen what the Budddha teaches is true. There is often a perception of sukha, subha, atta, and nicca that the mind projects upon conditioned phenomena. I see a cake and immediately the mind projects attractiveness (subha) and happiness (sukha) upon it. This goes on and on during a day. The mind is constantly vaueling things and sees signs. Signs of beauty, signs of happiness, signs of "this is me and mine’, signs of permanence, signs of escape, signs of refuge in conditioned things. This is what perception does or is. There is no signless but many signs for the mind, as carrots for the donkeys nose.

I also agree with the Buddha that detachment is the best destination, moving towards Nibbana. It is not a good idea to fire up more passion, stronger attachment. That does not lead to wellbeing.

In the end nothing can be maintained to my liking. That is, i feel, the combined meaning of anicca, dukkha and anatta.
I can have a deep wish to stay young, healthy, alive, also for my loved ones or material possessions, everybody can see this is conflicting, a collission course with reality. Although it is good will to wish all and everything the best, it is still a greed like quality, i sense. My wish that everything goes well and everybody is happy, healthy, can also become as cause for intense suffering.

This combined meaning -i cannot maintain anything conditioned to my liking, i experience as a very powerful realitycheck. That is what Buddha expresses in anattalakkhana sutta, i belief.
It is the function, i belief, of the tilakkhana. Realitychecks.

Most of the time mind longs for control where it cannot be found. We long for no-change while the nature of things is change, we long for happiness via attachment, while the nature of attachment is being worried and afflicted all the time. It is like our heart is blind for how reality is and always longs for something different. How is this possible? If we are products of this world why are we so naieve?

Good examples IndyJ. I agree, and i never ever said that perceiving is like looking trough a glass and see reality at is. I know, the body and mind play a constructing role. Ofcourse this constructions happens. I am aware of this. But i think it is not oke to call this constructing, hallucinating. You cannot drive in a hallucinated car, right? The car is not a hallucination. So there is something real about that car.

I can imagine mind also construct form we see and feel, but i do not belief there is nothing out their, so that it is only hallucinated. For example, for us Earth seems flat, but from another perspective it looks round. Or suppose a neutrino woud have senses, brain and mind. It would almost sense nothing to exist. So, i belief, in a certain way also the perceptions of forms is constructed reality, but i feel there must be something out there because sunlight does reflect.

Thank you for your explanation!

Would it be necessary for all the three marks of existence to be present in the argument? Because if the argument was talking about how anicca implies anatta, then dukkha would be pretty unnecessary, right? But I see that you don’t interpret the Anicca sutta in this way:

I like this approach. By interpreting the argument in this way, it sounds as if it was the same as that in the Anattalakkhana sutta. Am I correct? Because the idea in both of them is that, since you can’t control the aggregates, they lead to suffering and can’t be your self, right?

1 Like

I wanted to discuss a bit more about the Anatthalakkhana sutta for those interested in Thanissaro’s viewpoint.

He says in Selves & Not-self:

The idea of the self as agent also introduces the element of control, which the Buddha says is essential to any idea of self [SN 22:59]. This was the point he made at the very beginning of his first discussion of not-self: If you have no real control over something, how can you say that it’s you or yours? It’s only through the relative element of control you have over some of the aggregates that you can identify with them to begin with.”

As Thanissaro says in First Things First, he sees anatta as a value judgment, and it should be assessed according to its consequences. That’s why he speaks of a healthy sense of self, which is important through the path and thrown away in the end. However, this value judgment is not universal or unconditional: there are things that simply don’t make sense to regard as your self. For instance, in order for us to regard something as us or ours, we need to have control over it, and this is how Thanissaro interprets the Anattalakkhana Sutta.

"Bhikkhus, form is not-self. Were form self, then this form would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.’ And since form is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.’

To say that something is fit to be regarded as self implies that it is under our control, but then we wouldn’t make it cause us suffering. To say that something is NOT fit to be regarded as self implies that it is NOT under our control. The fact that the argument has a positive and negative version in the sutta shows that control is not only a necessary trait of the sense of self, but also a sufficient one: something is fit to be regarded as self if and only if it is under our control.

I honestly don’t think this is a disagreement between Thanissaro’s interpretation and mainstream’s, so I wanted to clarify what I’ve said earlier and correct possible misunderstandings.

your quote said the devas don’t know the object of the arahant’s consciousness and in signless concentration the object of the consciousness is absence yet it’s still conditioned

signless concentration is above neither perception nor non perception

But isn’t there a way to know and see directly that emotions, thoughts, longings etc, are not Me, not my self?

I think there is. I know a sutta also teaches this but i do not have the reference yet.
But the idea is: when you are, for example, thoughts, and they cease, do you stop to exist? Do you cease? No! Than it is perfectly clear to you in that moment, you are not thoughts. You can directly know this: “thoughts are not me, not my self”. Without doubt .

The same can be said of greed, hate, longings, bodily awareness, any kind of feeling, odours, visuals, tastes, ideas, views, anything that can arise. When it ceases you will see for yourself you do not cease or stop to exist, so how can those formations be Me or my self?

The same with the idea of mine. If something is mine, you can hold on to it. But can you hold on to youth, beauty, power, strenght, emotions, happiness, jhana states, etc. We cannot. If happiness is a possession why does it get lost? Why can’t you keep it? We cannot freeze any state of body and mind.
(the only option is to uproot defilements).

I belief, we do not need any special wisdom or state to see anatta tilakkhana (or sunnata) . It is not a metaphyisical issue. It can be directly seen.

This also means, that one starts to see that your existence does not depend on the presence of thoughts, emotions, tendencies, longings etc. One needs to see this, i belief, because otherwise the cessation or stilling of formations will never be seen as peace, but as ‘the ending of Me’. And that is frightening. If you see this, than you see that agitation comes from seeing formations as your self.

In Buddha’s teaching on clinging he does not teach that there is clinging to a self, but there is clinging to sensual pleausures, views, practices and rituals, and views of self. I think that is a nuance. Self and not-self is always about view. If one clings to the body, one does view it as Me, mine, my self and vice versa.

1 Like

I guess you’re referring to the Chachakka Sutta:

“If anyone were to say, ‘The eye is the self,’ that wouldn’t be tenable. The arising & falling away of the eye are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that ‘My self arises & falls away.’ That’s why it wouldn’t be tenable if anyone were to say, ‘The eye is the self.’ So the eye is not-self.”

Ven. Thanissaro would probably agree with your interpretation, as he says in his essay Not-self Revisited:

Although it might be possible to infer from this passage that the Buddha assumes that self must be defined as something permanent—not subject to arising and falling away—the above-mentioned difficulties that would follow from this inference suggest that there must be a better way to construe the Buddha’s reasoning here. And there is, one inherent in any idea of self: The self, whether permanent or not, can’t watch itself arise and pass away. To discern its arising, it would have to be there before its arising; to discern its passing way, it would have to survive its passing away. This means that whatever it’s discerning as arising and passing away can’t be the same thing that it is. Which means that that “whatever” isn’t its self.

I can’t quote where Ven. Thanissaro says this, but I remember reading something equivalent in his books.

In summary, I think both you and Ven. Thanissaro are right :slight_smile:

1 Like