What is dukkha?

Hi @Vaddha,

This response is excellent along with its corresponding questions and refutations. I do disagree with it and will respond in time, but at the moment I do not have such time :frowning: as I think it will take some effort to clarify and expose if/where we actually disagree.

In the meantime, just wanted to say thank your for your response and continued friendly and respectful chat and that I will get back to you when I can.

:pray:

1 Like

If defiling states disappear. . ., nothing but happiness and delight develops, tranquillity, mindfulness and clear awareness - and that is a happy state. DN9, Walshe

Hello @Vaddha,

This is a long response as some of the questions you asked and points you made I think require some careful and elaborate (due to my own ineloquence I fear) answers, explanations and rebuttals.

Some confusion has arisen. To my mind you indicated a possible concession when you said:

Unless you mean an independent, unconditioned ā€˜someoneā€™ equivalent to the absence of all arising and ceasing?

I took your unless to relate that youā€™d concede if I had in fact meant what you conjectured. I confessed that I did and so I thought youā€™d conceded. Anyway, the whole thing is silly. It was meant as a joke. We both acknowledge that there is no someone that fits the proverbial bill. :joy:

Agreed. Dependent structures are involved. However, I want to spell out a possible difference with how weā€™re using words. When I use the word unconditioned I do not necessarily intend to imply something that is independent.

Short and long are mutually co-dependent notions, but short does not cause long and long does not cause short. Something that is unconditioned I generally take to mean something that was not caused, but can nevertheless be something that is dependent.

Similarly, something that arises is something born which is caused dependent upon some other thing.

BTW, when I asked:

Does this lack of an essence in dukkha arise dependent upon something? Does it cease dependent upon something?

And you answered:

Iā€™d say no to both. :slight_smile:

I thought you were acknowledging the lack of essence of dukkha as unarisen, unceasing, unchanging, and unconditioned, because it is not caused.

We agree! :slight_smile:

The lack of essence in a conditioned thing is dependent upon that conditioned thing existing. When a conditioned thing exists we can rightfully say:

• It isnā€™t the case that this existent conditioned thing has an essence

When a conditioned thing does not exist we can rightfully say:

• It isnā€™t the case that it isnā€™t the case that this existent conditioned thing has an essence

Which is not intended to imply that a non-existent conditioned thing has essence!

Yes, you presented this, but I do not think Iā€™ve agreed. Here is what I proposed:

1. English translation of dukkha as the word ā€œunsatisfactoryā€ or ā€œunsatisfactorinessā€
  2. We use a common dictionary definition for ā€œunsatisfactoryā€ or ā€œunsatisfactorinessā€
  3. I gave such a common dictionary definition chosen as simply as possible - literally putting the word in google and taking a picture of what pops up
  4. I offered we could use some other common dictionary definition of your choice if you so wished

See here.

Since you mentioned an older post regarding language I think we should indeed go back to this and clarify even if it diverges into a meta-discussion of words, definitions and meanings.

Words are conventions; which is to say they are agreements between people used to communicate to enable shared understanding and meaning. With this in mind Iā€™ve attempted to come to a common agreement with you regarding the word dukkha. Taking the definition from the common dictionary I proposed above - which again, if you want to agree to another common dictionary definition let me know - we have the Teacher saying the aggregates have:

Which may be shortened to just:

• The aggregates are inadequate or unsuitable

In keeping with the topic of this thread, we then ask what did the Teacher mean when he said this?

Some possible hypothesis for meanings Iā€™ve come up with:

1. That the words ā€œaggregateā€ and ā€œinadequateā€ are synonymous
  2. That the aggregates are universally perceived as having the quality of inadequacy independent of the perceiver
  3. That the aggregates should be universally perceived as having the quality of inadequacy independent of the perceiver
  4. That the aggregates are perceived as having the quality of inadequacy dependent upon the perceiver

NOTE: This is not suggested as an exhaustive list. The list of possible meanings is probably dependent upon the perceiver.

Letā€™s draw out each in turn.

The first meaning #1 is drawing an equivalence between the two words suggesting that when using these words in sentences we can more or less substitute one for the other and not lose the meaning.

The second meaning #2 is saying that regardless of the perceiver and the context, when one perceives or experiences the aggregates the quality or experience of inadequacy is necessarily concomitant.

Three beings walk into a bar and order a drink. The bartender lays out three cups and pours a liquid into each cup from the same bottle.

The first being drinks his cup and the God declares, ā€œAhhhh Ambrosia!ā€

The second being drinks his cup and the Human says, ā€œwater.ā€

The third being drinks his cup and the Hungry Ghost moans, ā€œblood and piss :(ā€

Three beings walk into a bar

This famous story relates how the designated word depends upon the perceiver of the liquid. The second meaning #2 says this is not the case for the aggregates and the quality of being inadequate. Rather, all perceivers universally designate the aggregates as inadequate.

The third meaning #3 acknowledges that #2 isnā€™t the case, but says the Teacher intended to instruct all perceivers to try and see inadequacy as a quality of the aggregates. Which naturally raises the question why? One hypothesis is to inspire disillusionment and dispassion towards the aggregates.

The fourth meaning #4 is that while many perceivers do have the perception of the aggregates as inadequate it isnā€™t always the case. That there is no fundamental quality of inadequacy wedded to or concomitant with the aggregates.

With that overview letā€™s go back to some of the things you said.

No, I donā€™t think there can be only one word for one thing. Synonyms are possible and one can more or less freely exchange synonyms without altering the meaning. Another possibility is translations from one language to the other. So I hope it is now clear that I do not think there can be only one word for one thing.

No, I donā€™t think words have substantial, essentialist referents. It is a possibility the Teacherā€™s meaning was for the aggregates and inadequacy to be understood as synonymous. It is a possibility the Teacherā€™s meaning was for the aggregates and inadequacy to be understood as universally concomitant.

No, I do not.

I do not take the aggregates and inadequacy to be synonymous and Iā€™m not obligated to anymore than Iā€™m obligated to take the aggregates and burning chaff synonymously.

Again, I acknowledge the possibility of meanings #1 and #2.

I love this question. First, I want to acknowledge that hatred has not ended in this world or at least my perception of hatred has not ended in this world. I do not think the Teacher intended to mean that he had put an end to the hatred in this world. I think the Teacher intended to mean that he had put an end to hatred in his heart; heā€™d put an end to hatred internally.

When I practice dhamma over time I do experience less internal hatred. Iā€™m very far from realizing it, but I do have faith that it might be possible one day to put an end to it internally altogether in my own heart.

The form aggregate includes the physical body or so I think Iā€™ve read in sutta? Do you disagree? I can go and try and find the sutta if you like.

I never said anything about a substantial external world to my mind. Where did you hear me say this?? The Teacherā€™s corpse remained after the parinibbana of the Teacher or so I have read in sutta? Sutta also says his relics were divided up I believe?

It seems just manifest that physical bodies do not wink out of existence with the death of a being. Iā€™ve seen death and Iā€™ve seen corpses. Iā€™ve never witnessed them disappear completely with no remainder.

My own experience of the death of beings and corpses left behind.

Sure, but the point is the form aggregate of the Teacher - his physical body - which is dukkha - did not disappear without remainder after the life force left it, did it?

I donā€™t know where you think Iā€™ve introduced substance.

The Teacher and the dream of the Teacher are not the same. Iā€™m not sure what hypothetical youā€™ve got going there, but I really donā€™t understand how what Iā€™ve said is related :joy:

By ā€œout thereā€ I suppose youā€™re suggesting that Iā€™m making some kind of metaphysical or ontological statement when I say that bodies donā€™t just disappear without remainder aka wink out of existence. But Iā€™m not making any kind of metaphysical or ontological statement. Iā€™m relating a known experience - the lack of perception of physical bodies winking out of existence - and then drawing the inference that the same was true of the Teacherā€™s physical body.

This inference was drawn from my own experiences and then extrapolating it to the Teacherā€™s body and drawing as circumstantial evidence the testimony of the sutta.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve done any such thing. Iā€™ve had the experience of watching beings die and have observed what happens to their physical bodies when life has grown completely cold - room temperature. They do not disappear without remainder. This is just a manifest experience I have that does not rely upon any metaphysical or ontological basis.

Well, there you go :joy:

I would. Hatred is still manifest in this world from my perception and unfortunately it still manifests from time to time in my own heart :frowning:

However, with the Nibbāna of the Teacher I think it can rightfully be said that it no longer manifested in his heart.

Yeah, it was a lot :joy: Hope you are not too disappointed with the answers. This took a bit of energy and an attempt at clear thinking. I might not have that energy and clear thinking in coming days due to other obligations. :pray:

1 Like

Now, as for what meaning I ascribe given the non-exhaustive list above I would say it is some combination of #3 and #4. That is, the Teacher intended, ā€œthe aggregates are inadequateā€ to mean that one should aspire to see the aggregates as inadequate so as to generate dispassion and disillusionment towards them, but only up to that point. Once an enlightened one has succeeded in generating dispassion and disillusionment towards them I think they donā€™t necessarily see the aggregates as concomitant with being inadequate or having the experience of inadequacy. I acknowledge this is heresy for many.

It is also my general impression that many on this forum rather ascribe some combination of #1, #2 and #3 or other perhaps uncountable meanings not represented on the list.

As for you @Vaddha, I canā€™t say I rightfully know what meaning you ascribe or whether it is one or combination on the list or some other meaning completely non-represented. I was hazardous before in inferring what meaning you take from the statement so Iā€™ll not repeat the mistake. :pray:

PS: In keeping with the thread this thread was spawned from one might say that meaning #2 imagines a universal ā€œlaw of dukkhaā€ whereas #4 imagines a relativistic ā€œlaw of dukkhaā€ :joy:

causes this reaction:

@yeshe.tenley , this seems out of character for you. It seems as if, in order to deny that the substance of the aggregates can cease, you are insisting that some ā€œaggregate substanceā€ must continue exerting causal force ā€œout thereā€ in a substantial world. Would you say the same for the form of a dream, a mirage, or a rainbow?

If someone perceived the Teacher in a dream, and the dream ended, would you insist that the Teacherā€™s form must be persisting in a substantial time and space of that dream-world forever and ever because of causality? Or is the experience of the dream-Teacher merely a conditioned experience dependent on internal dream-form?

If someone were to perceive the form of a rainbowā€™s color in the sky, would you insist that when the form of those colors ceases, the colors of the rainbow must still exist ā€œout thereā€ exerting causal force on the world? Or is the experience of the form of a rainbow dependent on the internal form, perception, etc. there?

If someone were to perceive water in a mirage, would you insist that the water must be obeying external laws of physics and be preserved, cycling in some substantial external ā€œwater cycle out thereā€ once the appearance of the form of water ceased? Are there mirage-clouds ā€˜out thereā€™ made of the mirage-vapor from mirage-lakes that create mirage-rain filling up mirage-oceans which cycle back to the mirage-lakes?

As I understand your whole point of emptiness is because of they are dependent, conditioned. When the conditions do not exist, they do not exist.

So there should be no objections to the notion that when all conditions for mental aggregates of the arahant ceases at death, thereā€™s no mind to be found for the arahant. The body still has conditions to make it remain as a corpse, namely the law of conservation of mass-energy. But no such corresponding laws are there for the mind. So the mind ceases without remainder.

Here we donā€™t need to invoke ceases substantially. Itā€™s enough to have insubstantial cessation. Itā€™s the same thing. Insubstantial cessation doesnā€™t mean it will certainly arise again. Since all conditions are gone, it is gone. I think your issue is that when you see ceases without remainder, you just jump to map it to ceasing substantially, and have this unspoken assumption that ceasing insubstantially means that it arises again.

1 Like

Yes, the lack of essence in conditioned things and dependent origination are in harmony and not discordant to my limited mind.

Mind is a conditioned phenomenon, right? When the conditions are not present how can the mind be found?

Can you define again? Once a moment of mind has ceased it is gone? Does it arise again?

When the conditions are gone, yes, it would seem it is gone.

What arises again? How can that which has ceased, arise again?

Then we are aligned in view. Youā€™re in the nothing after parinibbāna camp.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome to camp, but I donā€™t self-identify as such a camper :slight_smile: The Teacher I think said that he wasnā€™t such a camper either, famously refusing to answer such questions.

Venerable, Iā€™m not sure if you are aware of this, but in some extant traditions Nibbana with remainder speaks of the experience of an enlightened one not in meditative equipoise with emptiness as object while Nibbana without remainder speaks of the experience of an enlightened one that is in meditative equipoise with emptiness as object.

While it might be the case that with the life force leaving the body an enlightened one enters into and dwells in the Nibbana without remainder, it isnā€™t necessarily the case that this is the first time they have entered into and so dwelled. At least that is what I understand some extant traditions to maintain although I could be mistaken in my presentation. Just some food for thought.

Would you hold that view as well, @yeshe.tenley?

Also, do you know what traditions say so? Iā€™ve heard some Theravāda-tradition teachers say similar things.

:joy:
Me neither.

ā€”

Thank you, @yeshe.tenley for the answers and comments. :slight_smile: I appreciate your gentle dialogue and will reply in more detail when I have a good opportunity.

1 Like

Iā€™d say it is my current working hypothesis? I canā€™t claim to know that it is true, but it is an interesting and quite dramatic difference I think to what is presented usually on this forum.

The extant traditions Iā€™m speaking of are Tibetan and I believe Iā€™ve traced this back to Chandrakirti, but I think he quotes an EBT sutta that from what I can tell does not exist in the Pali canon? I think @Ceisiwr has told me that some Theravada practice hold to something similar?

FWIW, I think the various understandings presented in this thread and many other threads are probably quite reminiscent of various understandings that are very old. Weā€™re all a part of a living tradition and probably not all that much new under the sun :wink:

PS I should also mention that this is not a universal viewpoint within those extant Tibetan traditions. Monks in many Tibetan monasteries are encouraged to practice debate and to work out various understandings as they can and there exist quite a diverse set of views from what I understand! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting! Maybe it would be clarifying to discuss that some eventually.

Do you know of any primary source texts in English translation discussing this?

1 Like

Yes! And again I thank @Ceisiwr to alerting me to it, but now I have to go back and look at my research, but when I do so Iā€™ll let you know.

Well that was easy. Thanks to an old email I have:

A reference from Chandrakirtiā€™s commentary on Nagarjunaā€™s Reason Sixty (Yuktisastika) on page 153-156 for an explanation of nirvana without remainder as occurring on the night of Shakyamuniā€™s awakening under the Bodhi tree if I understand correctly. This is published in english as part of the Treasury of the Buddhist Sciences and translated by Joseph Loizzo

1 Like

Thank you! I donā€™t have access to that copy as it seems it is a book that needs purchasing. Perhaps it is in an accessible library. Only glancing through some things in another version though, and this seems like a great treatise and interesting commentary!

It seems Ven. Chandrakirti speaks of dukkha referring to the aggregates and of Nirvāna with and without aggregates. Iā€™m not sure what the idea ā€˜dukkha = aggregates is inherently problematicā€™ is arising dependent on. TBH Iā€™m really not aware of any ancient Buddhist school that said the aggregates were not dukkha. Although you say this view may seem like heresy, I have heard it quite often and frequently in modern times. It seems almost semi-standard for people to say that only the aggregates when clung to are dukkha. Iā€™d love to see references to ancient texts making this claim. I donā€™t know of any that I can think of.

(Of course, I donā€™t mean the idea that there is a dukkha essence, but just that the word ā€˜dukkhaā€™ refers to ā€˜the aggregatesā€™ as conditional appearances).

Maybe some Mahāyāna suttas/treatises say this when speaking of ā€˜non-abiding nirvanaā€™? But even there Iā€™d imagine theyā€™d still refer to ā€˜dukkha,ā€™ just that it is of no burden? Iā€™m not sure.

1 Like

Well, I think you can find in many ancient texts that the aggregates are not inherently dukkha because they are not inherently anything, right? And I donā€™t dispute that the Teacher equated the aggregates with dukkha. It isnā€™t viewed as problematic when I donā€™t dispute that. And it isnā€™t viewed as problematic when I point out that the aggregates are not literally burning chaff. I mean some might raise their eyebrows and ask me why Iā€™m pointing it out, but seldom do I get pushback from people saying that Iā€™m wrong when I point out the aggregates are not literally burning chaff.

But when I point out that the aggregates are not literally dukkhaā€¦ whew boy :wink: Immediately the pushback begins.

It seems to me that seeing the aggregates as inadequate is dependent upon the perceiver just as the liquid labeled as ā€œwaterā€ or ā€œambrosiaā€ or ā€œblood and pusā€ is dependent upon the perceiver. This is possible because the aggregates - like the liquid - lack essence. It seems to me that in someone without any desire for the aggregates to be other than they are they cannot be perceived as inadequate. Maybe Iā€™m wrong! The inadequacy comes with desire for them to be other than they are. I could be wrong!

But that is where I get this problematic idea :slight_smile: I am unaware of any Mahayana treatise or sutta that directly spells out this problematic idea though, but Iā€™ll be on the lookout and if I find one Iā€™ll let you know.

1 Like

Thanks, @yeshe.tenle! Just FYI, Iā€™m not saying it is a problematic idea. I mean, Iā€™m not saying it isnā€™t one either.

Yes. But to be clear, if ā€œdukkhaā€ is a term for the aggregates, we could change this sentence to:

Dukkha is not inherently dukkha.

In other words, X is by inherent nature independently X. This is just plain substantial independent existence or svabhāva. I would agree that many many Buddhist texts say that dukkha does not exist of its own being. That doesnā€™t mean that ā€œdukkhaā€ cannot be synonymous with ā€œthe aggregates.ā€ It doesnā€™t mean that dukkha does not exist.

Of course. Sacred religious ideas and views.

This will have to wait for the future! :slight_smile: ā€œIs dukkha just a strategic perception for un-enlightened beings?ā€ is a good topic!

1 Like

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

• Many Buddhist texts say that dukkha lacks essence
  • That doesnā€™t mean that dukkha cannot be synonymous with the aggregates. This is the first meaning #1 in my list above and I acknowledge the possibility.
  • It doesnā€™t mean that dukkha does not exist.

BTW, I will still hesitate to speculate you agree that dukkha and the aggregates are synonymous. You only indicated that lack of essence does not mean that the aggregates and dukkha are not synonymous which does not indicate that you think they are. :wink: :pray:

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™ve read those suttas and there exist a few more if Iā€™m not mistaken which recount the Teacher or other arahants manifesting physical pain.

A question that comes to my mind reading those: did the Teacher desire for that pain to cease? Is that desire synonymous with tanha? What do you think? If he did not have such desire for it to cease I try and imagine what might that experience have been like?

Another thing that comes to my mind is accounts of humans who do not have aversion to various kinds of physical pain. Also, I remember times when Iā€™ve been indifferent to limited pain - neither wishing it to continue or cease. Finally, when confronted with extreme pain at times Iā€™ve tried to concentrate on its lack of essence and to know pain as pain. While I canā€™t say I was free from the desire for it to be other than it was it did seem to help somewhat.

I think it would not be wise if the training, the Path would make us insensitive towards suffering, pain, wounds, misery, etc. This would lead to trouble, misery, sickness, early death.

Tanha refers to the wish or desire to engage in/with something. 1. The wish or desire to engage in sensual pleasures, 2. in dying and not feeling anything anymore,3. the wish to continue to exist and engage for example in the happiness of deva states.

So if tanha ceases, this desire to engage in such things cease. But one does not become insensitive or wishless, i believe. Ofcourse one still avoids things that cause misery, pain, sickness, etc.

I believe that these people really have realised that in reality things are not mixed up. The citta that knows is not really mixed up with feelings, but defilements hinder us to realise this. Which means that there remains a perception of me having that pain and me being owner of it, burdened by it.
Defilements mix up things that are by nature not mixed up.

I am far away from this. Thanks for sharing your experiences with pain and how you use(d) it as object of training. Maha Boowa also did a lot, and came to a point that the citta that knows and the pain are not experienced as mixed up. So at that time the citta is not at all affected by pains.

The Buddha did lean back when a yakkha with needle skin approached.

https://suttacentral.net/sn10.3/en/sujato?lang=en&layout=plain&reference=none&notes=none&highlight=false&script=latin