Who wants to learn Pali?

My brain is several decades old. I hope it can cope. :grin: :grin: :grin:

3 Likes

When I was at university (a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), if you had 3 hours of lecture, you’d usually have no more than 3 hours of homework…

This course sounds tough… :grin: :grin: :grin:

3 Likes

That sounds great.

I was just talking to a dear friend that I didn’t want a lecture. I could read (of course, I could read English :smiley: ), but I want to be able to ask questions to clarify different possible interpretations and etc that may arise.

This course sounds more and more wonderful!

2 Likes

I think I can do it. I live in Thailand (UTC+7:00), hope it’s close enough to Australia.

Maybe I can use data analysis to help with sentence examples (e.g. the most common words/phrases for each grammatical rule). Eventually, it could become a corpus-based learning tool for Pali. A good idea?

1 Like

Maybe, but it would be outside the scope of this course.

2 Likes

I would be interested in learning Pali

6 Likes

I am absolutely in.

My attempts to learn Pali from all of the materials I’ve found have fell short. In modular format, what would be incredibly helpful is to have a representative sutta that we’d work through together that covers many bases in the complexities of the language: grammatical endings, polysemes, idioms, etc. The end of the module would be rewarding as we would have covered many Pali words, grammatical modifications, syntax, contextual-dependent meanings of words, and having a tangible, translated product of our own as a reward.

With practical, foundational knowledge of the first module, the arduous, yet necessary, nitty gritty lessons proceed that don’t yield more immediate returns. Concluding the course can a module that mirrors the first, but with a set of difficult suttas that incorporates everything we have covered over the duration of the course.

By end of course, student translations can be collated and uploaded online for all to see prose style and localization decisions - contingent upon consent.

If the course turns out to be nothing like that, no matter, I already decided I’m in.

2 Likes

Yes please Bhante! I’ve been trying to teach myself, but haven’t got beyond chapter 1 of Warder. Yes please!

Edit: I’m in Australia. Thank you Bhante

2 Likes

I would love to, thank you Bhante. I’ve been learning for a few years but in a sporadic way. A course from an expert would be invaluable!

2 Likes

I printed off a copy and had it bound at officeworks - ridiculously expensive but it looks nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am dana-based, and in the West, it’s like trying to make music by rubbing two nickels together, but thank you.

Price of the Pali book

Amazon Australia says it is AUD $151.34 for a paperback: Introduction to Pali : Warder, A. K.: Amazon.com.au: Books

I’ve checked with the local copy centre and it would cost me AUD 57.00 to have the PDF file printed and bound as a book. It would cost me AUD 7.00 to have it bound if I just print out the file myself, with the cost of ink and paper less than AUD 50.00.

However, the PDF file on Wisdom and Wonders website: Introduction to Pali – Wisdom & Wonders , in my humble opinion, is pretty good as it has the Table of Contents, so it will not be difficult to follow Bhante when he mentions the page number or the chapter number.

I myself would prefer to invest money in buying a second monitor screen, which would cost me:

AUD 147.00 for Philips 23.8" FHD Monitor 241V8LA
AUD 167.00 for LG 22" FHD Monitor 22MP400

Then, I could have the ‘book’ on the right-hand side monitor while watching Bhante on the left monitor. And of course, the monitor will be useful for translation later. As a professional translator, I could never have enough monitors! :grin: :grin: :grin:

the local copy centre here says it would cost me less than AUD 7.00! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Abe Books has it for 50 - 60 usd inclusive of shipping (from UK to AUS)

Pariyatti has it in the US for 25 dollars:

1 Like

Wasn’t there a thread recently about Buddhism being for rich people?

lol I joke, people.

1 Like

Abe Books has one shipping from india to australia for 25 dollars inclusive.

And the pdf version after all is free :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had a grand plan to learn Sanskrit and then use that as a jumping off point to learn Pali. Suffice to say I got a bit in over my head, so I would love to be a part of this if it is happening, thank you so much!!

2 Likes

Oh phew, that’s not too bad.

If you are going to get a print copy online, it seems that the one published by Bharatiya Kala Prakashan, (2006 revised version) is of very poor quality. Here’s a couple of review quotes on the BKP version:

Accents and diacritical marks appear and disappear randomly on the same word from one page to another, tables and footnotes are full of formatting errors, and the Pali text selections are rife with misspellings.

There was no proofreading at all before publishing this “Revised Edition” in 2006. For instance, an obvious typo in the Masculine Noun in -a Section on page 14, the “tathāgato” was misspelled as “tathdgato.” You will find missing parentheses, misspelling, wrongly formatted, etc. Reading this edition is a challenge.

The Bharatiya Kala Prakashan edition is simply not usable. It is of very poor quality with many typos and even missing words. Notes and Appendices from the older editions are simply not in the new edition.

Probably better to get a PTS published version.

8 Likes

Thank you so much, @stu :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

So, the version on Wisdom and Wonders website is good, right? :dancer: