Who wants to learn Pali?

That one looks fine to me. It’s what I used to do the text on the webpages for the ITP course.

1 Like

Hi, is it possible I could join the study group?
Also want to ask when would it start and from what times?

1 Like

Yes, I’m interested :slight_smile:

I’m very interested!
My mother tongue is Portuguese, so I don’t feel 100% comfortable translating from pali to English as the target language, but I guess it would be OK to do it as an exercise during the course.
We do not have a lot of translations available in Portuguese. I’m 35 years old now and do have the aspiration of helping make it available in Portuguese before I die.

8 Likes

As an aside: Are you familiar with @Gabriel_L’s Portuguese translation project?

6 Likes

I didn’t know about it, sabbamitta. Does he have a website?

1 Like

Can you share the material on YouTube?

I can not commit to this, but would really love to listen to some lessons in the background and see what sticks. Maybe it will allow me to have some basic understanding of the language so once I actually commit to learning it I would have an easier time.

I’m very interested, if it’s not too late.

2 Likes

Interested as well! When do you plan to start and how long do you expect the course to run, bhante?

3 Likes

Just an update, it looks like it will go ahead, I am sorting out details and will share soon.

One thing to temper expectations, we’ll basically have to choose a time zone that works for either US or Europe, and it looks like the US has won. Sorry, Europe!

This was based on the poll results from earlier that had the US showing greater interest, although by now they are equal, so that shows you how much to rely on polls!

19 Likes

Super excited about this, really looking forward to having a group to keep me motivated!!

Metta

4 Likes

I am just seeing this thread and couldn’t cast my vote :frowning: I am very much interested and I really appreciate the strict criteria which is exactly what I need. However, I will have to see what the timing would be since I have to be at work during the normal working hours…

1 Like

Is there any sense in keeping this thread going for those of us who will be participating, or should we start some other type of online study group type thing?

@sujato do you have in mind any sort of thing along those lines, or a preferred platform?

I’m probably getting ahead of myself aren’t I? Should wait for further details…

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I will update you all in time, but ATM am just sorting things out with a third party, so I don’t want to pre-empt them.

5 Likes

I’m in!! I have been waiting for this class.
Wonderful news! I am so excited! Thank you so much for making it possible, Bhante!

4 Likes

Yes!! And I don’t want to speak on behalf of others in Perth but I think there might be a bunch of us.

5 Likes

Has this course begun already? I just joined this forum, and thiscourse would be perfect for my current situation as a Dhamma student and an aspiring translator! :sparkling_heart:

I have been studying Pali and doing some informal translation work into my native language (Finnish) for some time, and I would have liked to find a place where I could learn together, network and give a contribution. But even though I have progressed, my skills are not firm, so a rigid and demanding course could be just the right thing at this point. :blush:

It seems that the sessions will favour American timezones, so the live sessions can be quite hard for me to participate. But is there a possibility for course attendants to watch recordings after the live sessions take place? I would be interested if there is a possibility to study async.

3 Likes

Hi @jsamaho, welcome here. AFAIK the course has not started yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @jsamaho,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions about the forum, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

1 Like

I’m in. :grin:.
I need all the revision I can get.
I already own the text.
Class time is likely to suit.

Only problem is that my memory isn’t what it once was.

4 Likes