Who wants to learn Pali?

No, we’ll let you know. Probably next year.

12 Likes

Yes please. let us know the day and time and if I can attend I’d love to.

2 Likes

I’m in for the Pali course online!

5 Likes

Hi @Godananthas,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions about the forum, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

1 Like

I’m also in Bhante @sujato :pray:

4 Likes

I’m in :smiley: . I was lucky enough to attend (but not great at!) a Pāli course taught from ‘Pali Made Easy’ by Ven. Ananda Maitreya last year, here are some thoughts:

• More examples than those in the textbooks to generalise from, I really wished for that.
  • There might be a variance in participants’ skill levels and history with learning new languages. Preliminary readings before Warder or some guides on basic linguistics assumed might mitigate that perhaps. There might also be a lot more participants than expected, I am guessing.
  • Having a fair few tutors? Feedback for why answers are wrong for each student would be great, and we’re so lucky to have so many fluent readers on this forum and at monasteries.
  • I found it hard to ‘read around’ the topics. Other texts and youtubes helped but I guess you either understand or you’re blocked. But if the topics could be presented so that if you’re following other courses, they’re still helpful, that might help in those instances.

On the textbook:

• The 2014 BKP version of Warder maybe I/someone could write a guide on where to add missing diacritics or otherwise correct it using a pen - but maybe that’s not feasible for some reason. I have both 2001 Warder and the 2014 BKP too, and it seems feasible.
4 Likes

Always the thing with Pali classes: lots of people think it sounds like a good idea, few are ready to really do the actual work.

As far as I’m concerned, there is little point in learning a little Pali: better stick with translations. I’m only interested in students who will commit to doing all the background work and sticking through the course.

18 Likes

Do you know how long the course will last?
I’m very interested, but I’m going to be starting the ordination process within ~6 months.

It may be possible to continue while living at the monastery, but I’m not sure yet.

3 Likes

The way @sujato talks about it it will go for as long as you have flesh on your bones and blood in your veins and maybe not be done after that! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I clicked :heart: because there is no button for :smile: :laughing: :joy: :rofl:

BTW, that would be a long, long time because I have lots of fat on my body! :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

6 Likes

I’m thinking maybe twelve or sixteen weeks.

8 Likes

How far through Warder do you anticipate to get in that time? :pray:

6 Likes

one lesson per week.

7 Likes

I would like to join!

4 Likes

Hi @Carmen,
Welcome to the D&D forum! We hope you enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path. Should you have any questions about the forum, please feel free to contact the @moderators.
Regards,
suaimhneas (on behalf of the moderators).

1 Like

Any updates about this? Still very keen.

8 Likes

If its not too late, I would like to participate too.

3 Likes

Same here, if not too late, I’d like to register my interest to join this course, thanks.

3 Likes

I would appreciate if the course work and content was posted after the course concludes for those who wish to go at their own pace.

3 Likes

Any updates on this? :slight_smile:

4 Likes