Vinaya Doodles šŸ˜

Your doodle for 41 is such a beautiful rendition of my own temple, Wat Yan, with its galleries, lotus ponds, amusement parks, and gardens!

Now I understand why they donā€™t allow Bhikkhunis to ordain here! :rofl:

9 Likes

They seriously have this at the monastery?

swing

:rofl: :joy:
Did one of the laypeople donate it? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I didnā€™t know they had picture galleries! (P41)

5 Likes

:joy: No no. We donā€™t literally have a whirly chair thingā€¦ yetā€¦

:thinking: If anyone wants to donate to this effort, I think our Mondop Staircase would make an epic waterslide:

9 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Looks great but there is shared pacittiya 134 / 53 about playing in waterā€¦ And it applies to monks too. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

The pacittiyas for bhikkhunis only

(rules 57-64 of 96)

1. Not inviting feedback on oneā€™s behavior from both sanghas after the rains retreat (pavarana ceremony)
  2. Not attending the fortnightly teaching (ovada) or the patimokkha recitation (uposatha ceremony)
  3. Not asking the bhikkhus for the date of the ovada and the uposatha every two weeks
  4. Having a male doctor treat a skin disease below the navel and above the knees without a female companion
  5. Ordaining a pregnant woman
  6. Ordaining a breastfeeding woman
  7. Ordaining a trainee nun (sikkhamana) who has trained less than 2 years
  8. Ordaining a trainee nun without sangha approval (even if trained for 2 years)

There are 24 rules dealing with ordination in the bhikkhuni patimokkha ā€” 1 sanghadisesa and 23 pacittiyas. (Bhikkhus have one rule.) So the next few doodles will be about ordination onlyā€¦ :sweat_smile:

(Updated 24 October 2019)

8 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: Not attending the fortnightly teaching (Bhikkhuni pacittiya 58)

(rules 65-72 of 96)

1. Ordaining a married girl who is less than twelve years old
  2. Ordaining a married woman over 12, but who has not completed two years sikkhamana training
  3. Ordaining a married woman over 12 with completed training, but without sangha approval
  4. Not assisting for two years a new bhikkhuni one has ordained
  5. Not following oneā€™s preceptor for two years
  6. Not taking away a new bhikkhuni at least 5 yojanas (~50 miles / 80 km)
  7. Ordaining an unmarried girl less than 20 years old
  8. Ordaining an unmarried woman over 20, but who has not completed two years sikkhamana training.

8 Likes

Discussing further Bhi.Pac 46, the rule is to not personally hand out food, rather than prohibiting generally providing it, say, by setting it near a person or asking another to give. So I think naming the rule ā€œHanding foodā€¦ā€ would be more accurate than ā€œGiving foodā€¦ā€
Thanks!

2 Likes

Awesome drawing and interpretations, as always.

Iā€™m particularly tickled by the pizza being accepted after regular food was declined in Bhi Pac 54 - because thatā€™s exactly when itā€™s hardest to keep this rule!

Thanks for the interpretive description and drawing of Bhi Pac 55, ā€œKeeping good supporters to oneselfā€; the usual translations of being ā€œBegrudgingā€ or ā€œStingy with regard to familiesā€ donā€™t get the point across nearly so clearly.

2 Likes

Somehow the willfulness comes across clearly in the illustration for Bhi Pac 69 (not training under oneā€™s Preceptor for 2 years) - actually laughed out loud.

Also LOL at the teddy bear in the almsbowl of the young ordainee of Bhi Pac 71.

Re:

1. Not assisting a new bhikkhuni one has ordained for two years

It sounds like a really long ordination ceremony. I suggest rewording for clarity:

1. Not assisting for two years a new bhikkhuni one has ordained
5 Likes

I laughed so much going through the vinaya doodles. The illustrations are so creative ven. @yodha ! :pray:t4:

6 Likes

Thanks for all your feedback! I have made the changes you suggested. :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

(rules 73 - 80 of 96)

1. Ordaining an unmarried woman over 20 with completed training, but without sangha approval
  2. Ordaining someone when one does not have 12 years in robes oneself
  3. Ordaining someone without sangha approval, even if one has 12 years in robes
  4. Agreeing to stop ordaining people for the time being, and later complaining about it
  5. Offering ordination to a sikkhamana in exchange for a robe, and then not ordaining her after she has given the robe
  6. Offering ordination to a sikkhamana in exchange for 2 years of service, and then not ordaining her when she has served one for 2 years
  7. Ordaining a sikkhamana who is entangled with men
  8. Ordaining a sikkhamana without the consent of her parents and her husband.

(Updated 29 July 2019)

9 Likes

(rules 81 - 88 of 96)

Finally we come to the end of the ordination rulesā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1. Delaying an ordination, and not asking absent bhikkhunis again if they agree to the procedure.
  2. Ordaining every year
  3. Ordaining two candidates in one year
  4. Using a sunshade and sandals
  5. Riding in a vehicle
  6. Wearing a hip ornament
  7. Wearing a womanā€™s ornament
  8. Bathing with perfumes and scents

(Updated 24 October 2019)

12 Likes

Are these really proscribed? Should I not offer you a lift?

4 Likes

Yes, these are real rules :grin:
BTW, monks have them too, just not in their patimokkha.
The way people usually get around this is by using the exemption for monastics who are sick. If you had to walk far (without sandals / a vehicle) youā€™d get blisters or a heatstroke or some other sickness. So better to be safe than sorryā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Things were different in the Buddhaā€™s days. People were used to walking barefoot and the roads usually were mud paths, not tarmac. Only rich people used vehiclesā€¦

6 Likes

Sounds like it limited the rate.

Is there a minimum age?

1 Like

Yes, maximum 1 candidate in 2 years.

20 is the minimum age for unmarried women, and for men. 12 for married women.

5 Likes