Wrong views due the khandhas being impermanent, unsatisfactory and not-self

According to the Cambridge dictionaryNo and not are the two most common words we use to indicate negation.”

So this difference in meaning doesn’t seem to come from English and different uses of ‘no’ and ‘not’ – they basically both convey negation in English.

Within Buddhism, I have never seen anyone argue that anatta should be understood as an oxymoronic, self-deluded denial of one’s own existence.

Like, it’s not a real position that anyone takes or argues for.

What gives?

I will try to give you a summary.

Check this first:

So based on this following conclusion/argument results…

1) If person X is convinced that, ‘I have no self’ and he rejects eternalism, he comes in the category of those who hold such a views which leads one to “getting repulsed by continued existence and not repulsed by cessation of continued existence”(this view buddha asks to let go of), such person X will most likely miss nibbana and after break up of body, enter and remain in formless realm of dimension of nothingness because in the dimension of nothingness, because of(mistakenly) believing that there is nothing & everything is annihilated at death, continued existence is actually ceased but in reality even that is not permanent because if that were permanent(as those born in realm of nothingness view), then those who have reached dimension of nothingness would never perish and again become something (get borned)!

Another conclusion/argument is as given by @Sasha_A, for that check this…

Based on this 2nd argument/conclusion is…

2) When we apply Paticcha Samuppada to chariot and panchaskandhas…only reason being, chariot’s functional arrangement can be changed into heap of parts but it’s not the case with panchaskandhas! Their functional arrangement cannot be changed! This kind of asserts possibility that existing individual literally cannot be destroyed!

@Erika_ODonnell sir, I pointed out only 2 arguments because, I felt these are new arguments(sry if I’m missing any other argument, I hope somebody can kindly add them), which you might have missed in this thread because of too many messages and also they are very interesting, I am not completely confident about them(although I am actually confident about and agree with 1st one) but I honestly couldn’t counter them(I don’t think that’s necessary though).
There are many other arguments against above arguments, there are also neutral arguments against them(if you know what I mean)…but them you can directly locate I guess.

Sry for bad English.

2 Likes

No self = there is no self.
Not-self = this is not self.

You are using a straw man fallacy here: the original post does not mention anatta, only ‘no self’. No self and not-self are different ways of interpreting the term anatta.

3 Likes

There’s no apples, there’s not any apples. What’s the difference? Seems to mean the same in English?

You are using the straw man, you’re presenting a “no self” a view which is obviously bad. I’m pointing it out that you’re doing that.

Who interprets anatta the way you describe as the no self view?

Make what you will out of the following regarding the no self view:

I think you ought to make your point/argument explicit if you want to engage in productive discussion :slight_smile:

All the sayings in bold letters! :wink:

I challenge you to be explicit and prove you’re not being intentionally vague to hide the fact that you don’t have a good argument :cowboy_hat_face:

Yes, you are missing my position which is that nibanna just means the extinguishment of greed hate and confusion, and that it is not “nibanna” that is “ineffable” rather it is the person of one who has achieved the extinguishment of greed hate and confusion that is ineffable.

So that would be option 4 i guess.

1 Like

I don’t think anyone contests nibbana as the ending of greed, hatred and delusion?

Or as not including their ending.

Is English your second language @Erika_ODonnell ? Because I assure you this is not the case.

For example “it is not skin off my nose” and “it is no skin off my nose” mean completely different things.

The difference is they all say there is more to it than that, while i claim there is nothing more to it than that. Can you see the difference? For example I dont think nibanna has anything to do with the aggregates, and i dont think there is any such thing as “parinibanna” (because what could that mean, do greed hate and confusion end twice? Like “end” and then “really end”?)

1 Like

Is English your second language? :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you saying that the difference between between not-self and ‘no self’ is analogous to the difference between an idiom (it is no skin off my nose) and an unnatural way to say that something is not one’s nose skin?

Edit:
There are no apples, there are not any apples. These are just two ways of expressing the idea of the absence of apples. There’s minimal, even no, informational difference between these two sentences, they express the same idea.

It absolutely is a position taken by people within Buddhism, in fact it is taken by people on this very board and in this very thread:

??

I must be missing something, as that is a standard account of annihilationism, i.e. the belief in a self that is destroyed when the body dies.

How is it oxymoronic to think that the khandas don’t contain a self? What’s going on here?

Well yes, “not self” and “no self” are the chosen idioms for the two sides of a debate about the interpretation of the pali term anatta, with one group adopting a fictionalist account of persons and the other arguing that this account goes to far and we should restrict ourslelves to acknowledging that no phenomena or combination of phenomena are a self.

Im sorry but im perhaps getting a little confused, are you doing something rhetorical? I get that tone is difficult to convey in this format, but I genuinely thought you where asking about no amd not, and now im just not sure what your getting at - there is a very real, very long standing controversy here that is discussed often on this board and has been discussed often in the history of buddhism and for that matter in the history of westen philosophy, if you are genuinely unaware of the issue please ask any questions you have, if you are being rhetorical, or “trolling” perhaps you could assist me with emojies or something to make that more explicit. (Something I should have perhaps done for @Sunyo with my “Thervada Orthodoxy” crack, but i assumed he is well aware of my bent from previous debates)

Which one is being called the deluded and oxymoronic one?

I am confused if people are saying the two views you are describing above are grammatically implied or somehow encoded in English by the use of not- vs. no.

The best approach might be:

Any view/concept/idea regarding ending the defilements PRIOR to actually ending the defilements is a conditioned phenomena.

Since one is clearly only caught up with proliferating the unproliferated.

If, just as an example, cessation was really true, then we wouldn’t have the following:

“If you say that ‘when the six fields of contact have faded away and ceased with nothing left over, ‘nothing else exists’,
you’re proliferating the unproliferated.

So since it can’t be said to be true prior to ending the defilements, khandhas, this means it can’t even be said to be true AFTER ending the defilements… Right?

Do you mean that nothing can be said about what happens next after the six fields of contact fade away?

Edit: Or do you mean the six fields of contact don’t actually fade away?

AN 4.174

“Then Venerable Ānanda went up to Venerable Mahākoṭṭhita, and exchanged greetings with him. When the greetings and polite conversation were over, Ānanda sat down to one side, and said to Mahākoṭṭhita:

“Reverend, when these six fields of contact have faded away and ceased with nothing left over, does anything else exist?”

“Don’t put it like that, reverend.”

“Does nothing else exist?”

“Do both something else and nothing else exist?”

“Do neither something else nor nothing else exist?”

“Reverend, when asked these questions, you say ‘don’t put it like that’. … How then should we see the meaning of this statement?”

“If you say that ‘when the six fields of contact have faded away and ceased with nothing left over, something else exists’, you’re proliferating the unproliferated.

If you say that ‘nothing else exists’, you’re proliferating the unproliferated. If you say that ‘both something else and nothing else exist’, you’re proliferating the unproliferated.

If you say that ‘neither something else nor nothing else exist’, you’re proliferating the unproliferated.

The scope of proliferation extends as far as the scope of the six fields of contact. The scope of the six fields of contact extends as far as the scope of proliferation.

When the six fields of contact fade away and cease with nothing left over, proliferation stops and is stilled.”