Please report any errors or typos!

:see_no_evil: Yes. I just added ā€œDN28ā€ for us to confirm during testing. There will probably be edge cases that keep popping up (e.g., the problems with numbers we keep on having).

1 Like

AN 7.51

At SC 1.1 Saį¹ƒyogavisaį¹ƒyogaį¹ƒ vo, bhikkhave, dhammapariyāyaį¹ƒ desessāmi is translated ā€œMendicants, I will teach you an exposition of the teaching on the bound and the unbound.ā€

At SC 5.12 the Buddha summarizes: Ayaį¹ƒ kho, bhikkhave, saį¹ƒyogo visaį¹ƒyogo dhammapariyāyoā€ti., and this is translated ā€œThis is the exposition of the teaching on connection and disconnection.ā€

Throughout the whole sutta ā€œboundā€ and ā€œunboundā€ are used in English; to keep it consistent this should also be the case for the last paragraphā€”or is there a special reason to change it here?

2 Likes

Thanks, this is fixed. It was a bug in how the IDs were made. We have tested and checked these a variety of ways, yet still this eluded us!

Are you sure about that? These are all excellent, and now fixed.

Both: sarassati is pali, sarasvati is sanskrit. Itā€™s one of those cases where the sanskrit form is probably better known.

No, they are current. Where a translator wishes to indicate that terms have been added, we represent that. I donā€™t recommend it as a practice, but t is possible to do.

Thanks, fixed. And I also fixed an inconsistency in the subject of the sentences

Well, the compound could be read either way, but if it was ā€œone perceives not-formā€, then it would imply one was perceiving the formless realms, which is obviously not what is intended.

Indeed. The segment breaks often fall on natural breaks in the text, but not always. We canā€™t predict how a translator might handle this, so it needs to be done in the client. @karl_lew, perhaps we could configure the playback to add a gap at the end of the segment only if it ends with punctuation?

Well, this is an interesting one. I notice that I had not been consistent, so I have fixed that now.

The Pali is tidiva, literally the ā€œtriple deityā€. Ven Bodhi has ā€œtriple heavenā€. But it is really just a poetic abbreviated form, probably archaic, for the tavatimsa, or ā€œGods of the Thirty Threeā€. In fact, the origin of this lies in the very ancient conception of the godhead as a trinity. As time went on, the ā€œthreeā€ gods were multiplied to a ā€œsuper-threeā€, i.e. ā€œThirty Threeā€.

So literally it would be the ā€œGods of the Threeā€. But since it is a simple synonym of Tavatimsa, I use ā€œGods of the Three and Thirtyā€, lending an archaic and poetic flavor to the translation.

Itā€™s hard!

Actually no, it seems we have a problem in processing the lists correctly. Check

https://staging.suttacentral.net/dn28/en/sujato

And also

https://staging.suttacentral.net/an4.161/en/sujato

Fixed!

4 Likes

Iā€™m not trying to argue, but how in the world is someone supposed to guess that is the meaning of the gray text? The standard for that, as I know, is square brackets. I agree itā€™s not beautiful. But it seems either the meaning should be clear or the indication shouldnā€™t be there at all. Just my $.02

They are not supposed to guess. The tooltip tells you what it means. Does it not work for you?

Oops, i was wrong and you were right; at least, mostly. There is a problem, but it is in the CSS. Chrome and FF handle this case differently. Weā€™ll have to figure out some fix.

2 Likes

Oh, they donā€™t, actually. I was going to suggest using tool tips.

Name Firefox
Version 64.0.2
Build ID 20190108160530

Windows 10, no adblocker
Doesnā€™t work on chrome either.

Oh, yes, it looks like you have to have the ā€œtextual informationā€ on to see the tooltips, it should be on by default. maybe the styling should only be apparent when activated, too?

I noticed in MN 87, paragraph 4:

Then Queen Mallikā addressed the brahmin Nāįø·ijaį¹…gha: ā€œPlease, brahmin, go to the Buddha, and in my name bow with your head to his feet. Ask him if he is healthy and well, nimble, strong, and living comfortably. And then say: ā€˜Sir, did the Buddha made this statement: ā€œOur loved ones are a source of sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distressā€?ā€™

Seems like made is the incorrect verb tense.

Indeed, thanks, fixed now.

On AN 6.63 (penetrative),
ā€œCetayitvā kammaį¹ƒ karotiā€ is translated as ā€œFor after making a choice one actsā€, is a bit unusual for ā€œcetanaā€ usually translated as ā€œintentionā€

When people ask another ā€œWhat is your favorite color?ā€, the answer usually involves a choice. But it is a choice without action. Bhanteā€™s translation here clarifies the meaning of intention as ā€œchoice leading to actionā€. Although Iā€™m a fan of consistency, I do like alternate phrasing that clarifies meaning. This allows me to search for English phrasing first then search for Pali text second to get the broader scope of translations.

1 Like

1 Like

Just noticed that instead of feeling, craving has been put in there in DN.15

_"That is, contact through the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, and mind. When thereā€™s no contact at all, with the cessation of contact, would craving still be found?ā€ _
"cakkhusamphasso sotasamphasso ghānasamphasso jivhāsamphasso kāyasamphasso manosamphasso, sabbaso phasse asati phassanirodhā api nu kho vedanā paƱƱāyethāā€ti?

With Metta

4 Likes

Bhante @sujato FYI

There already is a topic to address issues like this:

:anjal:

2 Likes

@Nimal thanks for the error message. Iā€™ve just moved your post to the existing topic for this, :anjal:

2 Likes

Bhante @sujato
This is not an error or typos but I just like to ask the question here.
If moderators think this is worthwhile discussing please create a new post.

Just a matter of interest, why did you translate Naga as a dragon, not as a snake?
To me, the dragon reminds the dinosaur or a Chinese dragon.
I believe here Naga is referring to an Arahant.

Bhante @sujato Just a suggestion.
If I were you I will leave the full translation of the following. That is the crux of this Sutta. In my opinion full translation should be provided for the main pont of any of the suttas.

==========
ā€œIn the same way, reverend, purification of ethics is only for the sake of purification of mind. ā€¦ Purification of knowledge and vision is only for the sake of extinguishment by not grasping.
ā€œEvameva kho, āvuso, sÄ«lavisuddhi yāvadeva cittavisuddhatthā, cittavisuddhi yāvadeva diį¹­į¹­hivisuddhatthā, diį¹­į¹­hivisuddhi yāvadeva kaį¹…khāvitaraį¹‡avisuddhatthā, kaį¹…khāvitaraį¹‡avisuddhi yāvadeva maggāmaggaƱāį¹‡adassanavisuddhatthā, maggāmaggaƱāį¹‡adassanavisuddhi yāvadeva paį¹­ipadāƱāį¹‡adassanavisuddhatthā, paį¹­ipadāƱāį¹‡adassanavisuddhi yāvadeva Ʊāį¹‡adassanavisuddhatthā, Ʊāį¹‡adassanavisuddhi yāvadeva anupādāparinibbānatthā.
The spiritual life is lived under the Buddha for the sake of extinguishment by not grasping.ā€
Anupādāparinibbānatthaį¹ƒ kho, āvuso, bhagavati brahmacariyaį¹ƒ vussatÄ«ā€ti.

Oops, well spotted, I have fixed it now.

As a general rule, I translated the names of non-human beings to an approximate English equivalent. This is in line with my even more general policy of translating everything unless it was really impossible. Of course, the names of non-human beings in Pali only map very loosely onto those in English; but it is worth bearing in mind that the English meanings also change drastically, as do the Pali. An obvious case is yakkhas, which in later literature typically have a negative sense, a ferocious demon, but in the suttas is most often ambivalent if not positive. Thus using the Indic term can be even more misleading, so I have used ā€œspiritā€.

In the case of nāga, we find four main meanings:

• A large snake, probably king cobra
  • A powerful and dangerous non-human spirit in serpentine form (ā€œdragonā€)
  • Elephant
  • In metaphorical sense, a ā€œspiritual giantā€.

In MN 23, there is series of interesting metaphors, each of which can be read on multiple levels. On one hand, of course it is to be expected that a snake would live in an ant-hill. However the border between an ordinary snake and a mystical dragon is far from clear-cut. It is common in modern Hinduism to find nagas worshiped in an anthill. Given that the Buddha identified it with the arahant, it seems a better reading than ā€œsnakeā€.

I wrote on this here:

8 Likes

Hello,

In Majjhima Nikaya 142, Dakkhinavibhanga Sutta, there is a typo at the very end. The sutta ends with 5 short verses. The third one pertains to a gift being purified by neither the giver nor the recepient if both persons are of immoral character. It reads:

When an unethical and untrusting person,
gives an improper gift to ethical persons,
not trusting in the ample fruit of deeds,
I declare that gift is not very fruitful.

But actually, it should read like this:

When an unethical and untrusting person,
gives an improper gift to unethical persons,
not trusting in the ample fruit of deeds,
I declare that gift is not very fruitful.

3 Likes